The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Bookshelves as corner bass traps
Old 6th June 2019
Here for the gear

Bookshelves as corner bass traps

Hello everyone! I'm trying to treat my small studio room, you can see all the details here:

Help in creating educational material and treatment of a small home studio.

I have a small doubt about the corner bass traps. I want to take bookshelves from ikea and just stuff all the shelves with rockwool. I have two options:

-First option: Hyllis bookshelf, only 10 euros:
https://www.ikea.com/es/es/p/hyllis-...zado-00278578/
Here you can see the dimensions:

-Second option: gersby bookshelf, 25 euros:
https://www.ikea.com/es/es/p/gersby-...anco-70261131/

As you can see, the hyllis is way cheaper, but it’s also much shorter, maybe it’s a Good idea to use the larger one and just fill the entire frame. What do you think?

Also, I don't know if being in the corner, the back pannel of the gersby bookshelf can cause some unwanted reflections. I tend to think that this won't be a problem, because really low frequencies shouldn't reflect off that, and higher frequencies will have been absorbed.

Which option do you think is better? I'm leaning to the gersby.

Also, I have made some sketches to show the placement I was thinking of:

Thanks so much for all the help!
Old 7th June 2019
Gear Nut

Is the width and depth of the shelves you have in mind going to fit where you've shown on the photo? It looks tight. Possibly the back corners would be a better option?

Taller bass traps would obviously be more effective. If you're really trying to save money maybe you attach some sort of poles to the sides of the cheap shelves to extend it upwards?

The open sides of the metal shelves are arguably an advantage over the solid sides of the wooden shelves.
Old 7th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasonic_UK View Post
Is the width and depth of the shelves you have in mind going to fit where you've shown on the photo? It looks tight. Possibly the back corners would be a better option?

Taller bass traps would obviously be more effective. If you're really trying to save money maybe you attach some sort of poles to the sides of the cheap shelves to extend it upwards?

The open sides of the metal shelves are arguably an advantage over the solid sides of the wooden shelves.
Sadly the back corners are even less accesible. I'm going to build a gobo that can double as a bass trap in one of the back corners. With my measurements, everything can fit, but yeah, it's going to be pretty tight.

That idea about the poles is a good one, I'll think about it, but I don't know how to make a good structure that can be fitted properly in the shelf hahahaha!

That's why I was leaning more on the bigger bookshelf, it would have more mass, and I wouldn't have to build a structure to put more mass on top of it, and also it's more moveable if I have to switch rooms.

Thanks for the help!
Old 15th June 2019
I used Hyllis shelves me they work great!

I cut rock wool to fit on shelves and glued velcro on the structure to glue fabric. Works like a charm!

The more absorber material exposed (covered with fabric of course) the better
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leitmo View Post
I used Hyllis shelves me they work great!

I cut rock wool to fit on shelves and glued velcro on the structure to glue fabric. Works like a charm!

The more absorber material exposed (covered with fabric of course) the better
I used a wire shelf from Lowes to build a big bass trap. It works

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search