The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Optimal semi-reflective covering for bass-traps?
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Nut

Optimal semi-reflective covering for bass-traps?

Hi all,

From what I have read here, I believe that having bass traps made from 705FRK with the reflective surface facing into the room can have two benefits vs a non-FRK panel: improving the low frequency absorption and reflecting some mid/high frequencies back into the room to stop it sounding too 'dead'.

I shall be making some bass traps from an approximate UK equivalent to 703 panels (4" thick Rockwool RW3) and was wondering if there was was anything I could cover these with to achieve the above benefits?

A quick test of simply putting thin plastic from a trash bag over a panel and speaking into it shows there is significant reflection, but how optimal is this, and does it offer any of the improved bass absorption of the FRK? Might there be fabrics I could cover the panels with that would offer the desired performance whilst also making the panels look better?

Thanks for any help .

p.s. I am aware of the concern of introducing additional early reflections from covered bass traps, and will take this into account when positioning them.
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Nut

Would this be likely to perform similarly to the FRK layer on OC 705 panels if I stuck it on the front?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anderton-Pr...34W6CNA4B6EYW6

It says it has one layer of kraft paper, one layer of low density polyethylene and one layer of aluminium foil, but doesn't specify thicknesses.
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Nut

To give some of you a laugh I just thought I'd attach some measurements from my currently untreated room...

This is a home listening room rather than a studio by the way. Until recently I was just running the left and right main speakers on their own. (The room layout is asymmetric so the two responses are different.) About a month ago I added a subwoofer, which I have integrated with my main speakers using a miniDSP 2x4 HD to act as crossover and to EQ the subwoofer (no EQ is applied to the mains). The crossover between the main and subs is formed by 48 dB/octave Linkwitz-Reilly filters centred at 120 Hz. For anyone interested there is no net boost applied by the EQ, and the maximum filter RT60 (in REW) is about 350 ms.

Things are obviously rather better than they were but I'm interested to see what improvements I might be able to make with a combination of first reflection point treatments (will be 4" panels 4" from walls/ceiling) and bass traps in various corners.
Attached Thumbnails
Optimal semi-reflective covering for bass-traps?-right-main-speaker.jpg   Optimal semi-reflective covering for bass-traps?-subwoofer.jpg   Optimal semi-reflective covering for bass-traps?-left-combo.jpg   Optimal semi-reflective covering for bass-traps?-left-main-speaker.jpg   Optimal semi-reflective covering for bass-traps?-right-combo.jpg  

Old 19th May 2019
Gear Nut

Brown wrapping paper like this would be rather cheaper than the foil style paper if it would work as well?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/METRE-EXCEL...%2C148&sr=8-19

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search