The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Acoustics for my band room
Old 18th May 2019
Here for the gear

Acoustics for my band room

Hey guys,

I'm in search of some advice on building some acoustical treatments for my high school band room. I inherited a program with a room that simply does not work for its intended purpose. It's a rectangle that is roughly 25x35 feet, with awful low 12 foot ceilings. The floor is tile, the walls are concrete / drywall, and there are two large glass windows. Currently, there are no acoustical treatments at all, and the slap back and standing waves in the room are insane. Sound lingers and echoes forever and pollutes the room, making band a difficult task. I am getting carpet installed over the summer break (I know it doesn't do that much to help my situation, but it will at least be aesthetically pleasing and easier to keep looking nice than a white tile floor), and am wanting to build some DIY treatments to drastically improve the room's sound for next school year.

Where should I start? I'm pretty handy, and have some dads who would volunteer to help me construct. Traps in the corners? Thinner panels on the open, bare walls? Should I consider anything for the lowish ceiling like clouds or hanging panels? Do I want to cover as much bare wall as possible, or just directly behind / in front of the band?

I'd provide some pics of the room but I ran out of school at the speed of light (last day of class, woohoo!) and won't be back in until Monday to do inventory.
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear
It might be worth your time to contact GIK. They often (I think) are generous in helping assess needs for treatment and helping with plans for DIY projects. They also have a lot of videos and information on their site.
You seem to be very aware of the “pleasure” derived from hearing music in a giant box. Good luck with your project!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search