The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What is a good budget acoustic foam?
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Addict

What is a good budget acoustic foam?

I'm buying a new microphone soon but I'm recording in my untreated bedroom. It probably doesn't need tons of treatment given that i have a carpeted floor and a massive bed taking up space, but I was thinking I should at least cover one of the with acoustic foam or some sort of decent acoustic treatment. I figured just having the wall behind my treated and using this https://www.amazon.ca/Aston-Micropho...ay&sr=8-2&th=1

would be enough, but correct me if I'm wrong. I'm assuming you don't want to use any run of the mill foam panels that you'd find off of Amazon, but but maybe that's all dependent on what you're recording. I'll just be doing mainly vocals and sometimes acoustic guitar. I've decided that I'll just get a mid range mic and treat the room, cuz i realized the bleed is quite a problem so a great mic won't get rid of that.
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

I would start by using the shield. If you like what you get with that, cool. If that's not enough treatment, don't waste your money on foam. Read up on the great suggestions here: Acoustics/Treatment Reference Guide - LOOK HERE!
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Addict

thank you very much, this is even more than i asked for
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OolalavSuperfukk View Post
I figured just having the wall behind my treated and using this https://www.amazon.ca/Aston-Micropho...ay&sr=8-2&th=1

would be enough, but correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't presume to be any "expert" but nothing I have seen or heard gives me the impression those mic shields do much and IMO (repeat IMO) are probably a waste of money. And since odds are you'll use a cardioid pattern mic, which rejects noise from the rear (and somewhat from the sides) what you really need is a shield behind you. I'd read up on the links provided but short answer I don't think foam will do much for you. Here's a link to a lot of common stuff used for panels that gives cost estimates and quick pros/cons: Selecting the Right Acoustic Material

I know the 703 is very popular. FWIW

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search