The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
IKEA PAX Bass Traps
Old 12th April 2019
IKEA PAX Bass Traps

Hey guys and gals,

Just thought I’d pass on a design I’ve been working on for fake walls in my small bedroom mix suite. My room is the typical 11x11x8’ square box full of low end problems so I decided I wanted to build out floor to ceiling trapping to help with the bass problems I am having.

For the price of additional prebuilt trapping options I was able to build large, deep traps spanning 39x93x14” for around $120 a trap. Here is the ikea product I decided to use -

PAX Wardrobe frame - black-brown - IKEA

I’m using 2 ikea shelves per unit to separate the fiber and keep it fluffy, wrapped in black fabric. The frames come with thin MDF backing and could be used as both a sealed backing or membrane device/slatting if cut on the front of the frame to extend low end and keep some energy in the room.

They were in sale when I purchased them so keep a lookout for sale prices and/or scratch dent models - 2 of my frames came in under $50 because they were as-is.

They have a 24” deep version for $10 more and an array of widths, heights and depths to tailor to the room size or goals.

Obviously this approach is tailored more to those who don’t have the space to do woodwork or would rather have something pre-built. Regardless, for what is essentially 4 of the more traditional 24x48” bass trap panels, the price was right in line with keeping my budget for this project below 1k, and I was easily able to do my entire room for that price, floor to ceiling.

Just figured I’d share (: I’ll update with pictures once they’ve been completed and are in place.
Old 12th April 2019
Attached are some terrible pictures but you get the idea. I personally ended up changing the design to all 19x93x14” traps for ease in getting it in the house, but did build one of the 39x93x14” as it offers the best bang for the buck.
Attached Thumbnails
IKEA PAX Bass Traps-74168bb4-4e50-46e1-adae-5e5776fe55cd.jpg   IKEA PAX Bass Traps-95f852f1-3270-42f6-ba4b-2fa455307ca1.jpg  
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Nice!

The only niggle about the ikea stuff I’ve found is that it doesn’t seem to survive lots of moves... I’m talking about bookshelves mostly... but, I doubt that’s really a problem with this application

Great job...
Old 12th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Nice!

The only niggle about the ikea stuff I’ve found is that it doesn’t seem to survive lots of moves... I’m talking about bookshelves mostly... but, I doubt that’s really a problem with this application

Great job...
Thanks! The shelves and backing keep it rigid so it should survive a move or two. The shelves have pegs they slip into as well which keeps them firmly in place vs some other systems they sell.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search