The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Building my DIY Acoustic panel, are the wooden frames necessary?
Old 10th April 2019
Here for the gear

Building my DIY Acoustic panel, are the wooden frames necessary?

Hi guys, i’m very new to this and i was just wondering.. i’ve done my research on tutorials in making a DIY acoustic panel. All of them described the role of the rockwoll and the fabric used, but never the frame.

Now, i’m trying to make my own acoustic panel, and i was just wondering if using the frame itself is really all that necessary.

Can’t i just use a piece of 60cmx120cmx5cm rockwoll with a density of 100kg/m3 and wrap it in some burlap then just glue it on to the desired wall like an acoustic foam? I mean it WOULD cut down the budget. Or am i missing something?

Again i’m very new to acoustic treatments and everything so please be gentle guys hehe thanks
Old 10th April 2019
the frame provides
1) stiffness and allows you to wrap the burlap tightly for a nice aesthetic.
2) rigidity so it makes attaching to the wall easier.
3) the ability to have some offset to the wall - recommended 4 inches if space is available.

You can probably get away with not using it, but the frame material is a small fraction of total cost of your acoustic panel.
The added benefits out weighs the cost.

Therefore, add framing material.
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Guru

Weird thing -- just happened to snap a photo of a bunch of panel edges this morning, never mind why.

These are done with OC703, I've never used rockwool. The wood is 1/4" X 2" pine moulding, weighs next to nothing. Glued to the panel edges with 3M Super77.

Notice the nice square edges and almost-crisp corners. Not perfect, but not bad. And you can hang these on a drywall or plaster wall using just 2 finishing nails under the top of the frame (through the fabric) and a third nail under the bottom center of the panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Building my DIY Acoustic panel, are the wooden frames necessary?-panels.jpg  
Old 12th April 2019
Here for the gear

Alright well thanks alot guys for the input! I really appreciate it

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search