The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ProRox SL930, SL950, SL960, SL970.
Old 1st April 2019
Here for the gear

ProRox SL930, SL950, SL960, SL970.

Hello!

I am looking for absorption materials and in my country (Chile) I only have a RockWool supplier available, specifically ProRox SL930, SL950, SL960, SL970 and SeaRox WM620. From what I have looked for in the forum, there is no information regarding these materials and it would be very helpful for the community to be able to elucidate their functioning.
I would like to know if any of you have had any experience with any of these materials and if there is any way to know their absorption coefficients. I leave attached the technical sheets, there are different properties that perhaps one of you can understand. I thank you for your help,

Greetings
Attached Files
File Type: pdf prorox-sl970-en_in.pdf (124.9 KB, 12 views) File Type: pdf rti-prorox-sl-950_exp.pdf (82.4 KB, 15 views) File Type: pdf rti-prorox-wm-960-es_exp.pdf (85.6 KB, 11 views) File Type: pdf rw-ti-searox-wm-620.pdf (98.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

Welcome to Gearslutz!

Soundman2020 lives in Chile and is a great studio designer. He will be writing here soon. In the meantime, go by the density comparing acoustic performance.

Enjoy!

Andre
Old 1st April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Welcome to Gearslutz!

Soundman2020 lives in Chile and is a great studio designer. He will be writing here soon. In the meantime, go by the density comparing acoustic performance.

Enjoy!

Andre
Thanks Andre, I'll wait for the answer from "Soundman2020"

With regard to your advice, I just made the comparison:

ProRox SL 970 Nominal Density: 115 kg/m3 (7.2 lb/ft3)
ProRox SL 950 Nominal Density: 80 kg/m3 (5.0 lb/ft3)
ProRox WM 960 Nominal Density: 100 kg/m3 (6.2 lb/ft3)
SeaRox WM 620 Nominal Density: 90 kg/m3 (5.6 lb/ft3)

In addition the "SeaRox WM 620" says that it has a sound absorption in direct assembly of:

αw = 0.9 Thickness: 45 mm
αw = 0.95 Thickness: 2x45 mm
ISO 354 (approximated) Evaluated after ISO 11 654

And i quote from the ISO 354:

"5 Evaluation:

The sound absorption coefficient αS was determined in one-third octave bands between 100 Hz and 5000 Hz according to EN ISO 354 [1].
In addition to the sound absorption coefficients the following characteristic values were determined according to EN ISO 11654 [2].
- practical sound absorption coefficient αp in octave bands
- weighted sound absorption coefficient αw as single value:
The weighted sound absorption coefficient αw is determined from the practical sound absorption coefficients αp in the octave bands of 250 Hz to 4000 Hz.
"

What do you think about these materials? I remain attentive to your answers, a huge greeting.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Hola "Haruki", y mucho gusto! ¿En qué parte de Chile vives?

I'll continue in English, since most forum users don't speak much Spanish...

You can get some Owens Corning products here, but not not OC-703 unfortunately. However, you can get their "Sound Attenuation Batts" (SAB), and I have used that successfully in a few places here. Their distributor in Chile is a company called "Transaco", located in (obviously!) Santiago, close to the airport (Pudahuel). They also have a product they call "AISLHOGAR". Unfortunately, they don't provide any acoustic data at all, so I can't help you with GFR or absorption coefficients. However, in the places where I have used it (churches, classrooms, and studios, mostly) the 100mm thick rolls have good absorption down to about 125 Hz. Not a scientific test, of course, but it has worked fine for typical uses.

There's another company here, "Volcan" (makers of the famous "Volcanita", otherwise known as "drywall"...). They do make specific acoustic insulation products with their "Sonoglas" line, and they do provide data for those: Sonoglass Cine, Sonoglass Panel, Sonoglass Bafle, and Sonoglass ABS are the ones I'm aware of. However, I have never used their products, because you can't buy it off-the-shelf: every time I called them, they say that you have to special-order it, and you need to purchase a very large quantity. The do a special production run to make your order, so you need to order thousands of square meters for them to justify that... Most projects where I have needed that just need a few hundred m2 at most. If you can find someone who order a large run for a cinema, theater, office complex, or something like that then you might get lucky and be able to add a bit extra on the end of the run for yours, or maybe buy their off-cuts. Here's a link to one of their products: Sonoglass Cine | Volcan

The products you gave links for do have some useful information in the links, some of which you already found:

SL-970 has a GFR of 70,000 MKS rayls... too high for most acoustic uses. (GFR is the most useful parameter, since it is directly related to acoustic impedance, and that's what you need to know for designing treatment devices)
SL-950 doesn't say what the GFR is, but it does say that the density is 80 kg/m3. A little high for typical acoustic uses, but it might work if what you need is mostly absorption in the mids and high range, with less in the low range.
SL-960 says density is 100 kg/m3: too high for most applications, similar to 950.
WM-620 only claims an Alpha (weighted average coefficient of absorption)of 0.9, but with no additional details, and at 90kg/m3, it is also high density.(We would need to see the actual absorption coefficients in all of the various frequency bands, to be able to see how it REALLY performs)

In general, for mineral wool products you will probably need materials with a density of around 50 kg/m3, and if you go with fiberglass products, that would be around 30 kg/m3. Those are not exact figures that you MUST use: just general guidelines. Also in general, if you need better performance for low frequencies, then go for a lighter weight (less dense) product, and if you only need mid/high absorption without so much low end effect, then go with a heavier (higher density) product.

I'd love to know more about your project and where you are located! (Siéntete libre de contactarme por PM; si prefieres conversar en Español.)

- Stuart -
Old 2nd April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
Hola "Haruki", y mucho gusto! ¿En qué parte de Chile vives?

I'll continue in English, since most forum users don't speak much Spanish...

You can get some Owens Corning products here, but not not OC-703 unfortunately. However, you can get their "Sound Attenuation Batts" (SAB), and I have used that successfully in a few places here. Their distributor in Chile is a company called "Transaco", located in (obviously!) Santiago, close to the airport (Pudahuel). They also have a product they call "AISLHOGAR". Unfortunately, they don't provide any acoustic data at all, so I can't help you with GFR or absorption coefficients. However, in the places where I have used it (churches, classrooms, and studios, mostly) the 100mm thick rolls have good absorption down to about 125 Hz. Not a scientific test, of course, but it has worked fine for typical uses.

There's another company here, "Volcan" (makers of the famous "Volcanita", otherwise known as "drywall"...). They do make specific acoustic insulation products with their "Sonoglas" line, and they do provide data for those: Sonoglass Cine, Sonoglass Panel, Sonoglass Bafle, and Sonoglass ABS are the ones I'm aware of. However, I have never used their products, because you can't buy it off-the-shelf: every time I called them, they say that you have to special-order it, and you need to purchase a very large quantity. The do a special production run to make your order, so you need to order thousands of square meters for them to justify that... Most projects where I have needed that just need a few hundred m2 at most. If you can find someone who order a large run for a cinema, theater, office complex, or something like that then you might get lucky and be able to add a bit extra on the end of the run for yours, or maybe buy their off-cuts. Here's a link to one of their products: Sonoglass Cine | Volcan

The products you gave links for do have some useful information in the links, some of which you already found:

SL-970 has a GFR of 70,000 MKS rayls... too high for most acoustic uses. (GFR is the most useful parameter, since it is directly related to acoustic impedance, and that's what you need to know for designing treatment devices)
SL-950 doesn't say what the GFR is, but it does say that the density is 80 kg/m3. A little high for typical acoustic uses, but it might work if what you need is mostly absorption in the mids and high range, with less in the low range.
SL-960 says density is 100 kg/m3: too high for most applications, similar to 950.
WM-620 only claims an Alpha (weighted average coefficient of absorption)of 0.9, but with no additional details, and at 90kg/m3, it is also high density.(We would need to see the actual absorption coefficients in all of the various frequency bands, to be able to see how it REALLY performs)

In general, for mineral wool products you will probably need materials with a density of around 50 kg/m3, and if you go with fiberglass products, that would be around 30 kg/m3. Those are not exact figures that you MUST use: just general guidelines. Also in general, if you need better performance for low frequencies, then go for a lighter weight (less dense) product, and if you only need mid/high absorption without so much low end effect, then go with a heavier (higher density) product.

I'd love to know more about your project and where you are located! (Siéntete libre de contactarme por PM; si prefieres conversar en Español.)

- Stuart -
Hola Stuart, mucho gusto igualmente! Vivo en Valparaíso. Te agradezco el comentario y toda la información Seguiré en inglés por la misma razón que escribiste.

The use is for acoustic absorption in my home recording studio. Last year I graduated as Sound Engineer from Duoc UC. Honestly in the area of acoustics there is much to be desired, they taught us the basics regarding acoustic conditioning but very little about how to find materials and how to decide about them, we were only taught to discern with the absorption coefficients but many times these do not they are specified in the technical sheets. Finally, with respect to the "Sound Attenuation Batts", I have not been able to find them on the website, I am interested in knowing more about them so i will contact Transaco. I also managed to locate the "AISLHOGAR® Owens Corning". I appreciate your information

Did you use Owens Corning's "Black Acoustic Board"? This is available in the company "Safe Energy", I will attach the technical sheet so you guys can see what i'm talking about.

We know that what is indicated in the technical specifications is not so identical to real life, so if any of you have used it, please tell me how it was.

Greetings
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Black Acoustic Board.pdf (1.20 MB, 13 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search