The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is it important to fix porous absorbers rigidly to back wall/floor/ceilings?
Old 14th March 2019
Here for the gear

Is it important to fix porous absorbers rigidly to back wall/floor/ceilings?

Hi

I'm planning to acoustically treat a room mainly to prevent standing waves, and I can afford to take up some room. I was planning to use a 30cm thick layer of insulating (porous) material, possibly some air gap towards the wall (up to 30cm, but probably much less), and then just cover a whole wall with it.

I find conflicting, or little information about one thing: Is it important to fix the slabs rigidly to the back wall, floors and/or ceilings to prevent them from moving? It seems this might depend on the weight of the slabs. The density of the material is 50 kg/m3. with 30 cm thick slabs, that makes it 15 kg/m2. I might also use 40 cm slabs if that helps, to get a weight of 20 kg/m2. Airflow resistivity is 5 kPa*s/m2. It's heavier than common rockwool products.

Measurements so far, by just placing the slabs towards the wall, indicate that they do absorb bass frequencies, however I don't have anything to compare it with. The slabs are more rigidly shaped than rockwool, and it would be much easier and cheaper for me to just make a less rigid fixture to place it in, rather than something very solid/rigid.
Old 14th March 2019
Here for the gear

PS: For those who prefer imperial units,

30cm = 12 inches
50kg = 110 pounds

I did a google search and found that people normally use metric for density anyway.
Old 14th March 2019
Lives for gear

No.
Old 14th March 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search