The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sidewall First Reflection Questions
Old 10th March 2019
Here for the gear

Sidewall First Reflection Questions

Hi all.
I have a decent understanding of the goals and methods to treat my home studio. It's a small enough space that I'm sure I'll need more "bass traps" than will fit or be affordable, but I've made a start.* I mostly know where I need to control reflections and why. I'm even pretty good with how, but not good enough to answer these 2 questions about mitigating first reflections from sidewalls:
A) My side walls are 7' from each monitor (FYI, monitors spaced 6' apart on center). First reflections off of nearest wall would therefore be too soon to leave untreated. But since the speakers are towed in (aimed a 3rd point of equilateral triangle), the baffle/drivers don't aim at the nearest wall at all.
Does that mean I can ignore the left speaker's reflection from left wall and only need to treat it's first reflection from right wall? (Obviously, vice versa for other speaker.)
B) The left wall is a landing for stairway and right wall has a window. I'd rather not hang absorbent batts where they'd protude into stairway traffic or block window.
Can batts be placed in close proximity to the speakers instead? I can double thickness of batts, but the absorption coeficients would no longer involve a surface behind them. (Unless y'all tell me they absolutely must be more like gobo construction, instead of batts in free-space.)

Thanks very much.
Randy

*Nothing measured yet, but for now:
-4 rectangular cross-section superchunks- an 8' & a 6' soffit-style at front and rear wall/ceiling corners; and a pair of 6' standing vertically in rear wall/wall corners. (That's what I got out of 2 bags of Rockwool safen'sound 3.5" thick 16"x4' batts, 12 per bag)
-There's a 7" thick 8'x6' suspended cloud (2 layers of Ultratouch 3.5" cotton insulation batts) extending from above monitors to above my head. It's a crazy hammock-like deal made of dowels and screendoor mesh, with batts laying on it.
-Rear wall is almost 11' back from my head, so I think I have option for absorption and/or diffusion. TBD but prob mostly absorbers.

Last edited by SoPro; 10th March 2019 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: Title not bold or caps

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search