The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Put my toe in the acoustic treatment waters...
Old 24th February 2019
Here for the gear
Put my toe in the acoustic treatment waters...

Just got back home with some Sonex foam a guy had on Craigslist. Looks new. At least there's no glue on the back. Just 3 or 4 cracks / broken corners from handling. It's a mix of Sonex Classic and Alphapyramid foam. Paid $300 for (22) 2'x2' and (20) 2'x4' panels. Over 300 square feet. Should be plenty to get at least 1/2 coverage of my room.

This is my first purchase of acoustic treatment. I feel like I've had things on hold for far too long putting off the expense. Lately, every time I spend another $500 on this or that piece of gear or gadget, I feel guilty, because I know I can't use it properly until I have proper treatment. Thing is, I rent, and have been holding off on treatment, thinking my searching for a dedicated recording space will pay off any day, and then I'll know better what to buy. I'm now giving up somewhat, and going to treat my living room (yes, I'm single) for tracking/mixing. It's really frustrating, because I feel there's no point making it look all professional. I could have to move at any time. I also can't put screws or glue all over the walls, so it's going to be a lot more work to mount it. I'm thinking of trying to glue the panels to a light/thin but rigid backer, and using 3m command strips to hang on walls. Is there a glue that peels cleanly off a painted wall? (Like that rubbery glue some mail is held shut with?) The landlords live upstairs, so I'll only be able to kill the HVAC and record when they're gone. Very far from ideal, but I keep reminding myself it could be worse. I just can't wait for an affordable dedicated space any longer.

Anyone have any opinions on this stuff? The guy has about 5x more of the Sonex. Should I go get more at this price for that time I find myself in a bigger/better long term space?

Next on my list is going to be the biggest single expense of this whole endeavor. About (40) 2'x4'x4" pieces of 703, some wood, some fabric, and some Roxul. Plan on filling corners with Roxul, maybe (8-10) 703 panels for mix position walls, another (12-14) for clouds above both mix position and drums. Still going over in my head ways of suspending clouds without putting holes in the wall. If I could make them light enough, I've been wondering if the clouds could be suspended by cables anchored in opposing walls. The landlord MIGHT allow 8 holes if it's agreed I'll leave them needing only paint. I just don't like the idea of framing up a frame for the clouds, leaving me feeling like my mix desk is a kid's desk under the top bunk. Someone please tell me to skip the clouds. : ) I also want to build 3-4 4'x6'x8" bass traps on casters so they can be moved as needed.

Sound like I'm headed in the right direction? Thoughts welcome. Thanks
Old 24th February 2019
Here for the gear
Pic
Attached Thumbnails
Put my toe in the acoustic treatment waters...-acousticpanels.jpg  
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaOriley View Post
Just got back home with some Sonex foam a guy had on Craigslist. Looks new. At least there's no glue on the back. Just 3 or 4 cracks / broken corners from handling. It's a mix of Sonex Classic and Alphapyramid foam. Paid $300 for (22) 2'x2' and (20) 2'x4' panels. Over 300 square feet. Should be plenty to get at least 1/2 coverage of my room.

This is my first purchase of acoustic treatment. I feel like I've had things on hold for far too long putting off the expense. Lately, every time I spend another $500 on this or that piece of gear or gadget, I feel guilty, because I know I can't use it properly until I have proper treatment. Thing is, I rent, and have been holding off on treatment, thinking my searching for a dedicated recording space will pay off any day, and then I'll know better what to buy. I'm now giving up somewhat, and going to treat my living room (yes, I'm single) for tracking/mixing. It's really frustrating, because I feel there's no point making it look all professional. I could have to move at any time. I also can't put screws or glue all over the walls, so it's going to be a lot more work to mount it. I'm thinking of trying to glue the panels to a light/thin but rigid backer, and using 3m command strips to hang on walls. Is there a glue that peels cleanly off a painted wall? (Like that rubbery glue some mail is held shut with?) The landlords live upstairs, so I'll only be able to kill the HVAC and record when they're gone. Very far from ideal, but I keep reminding myself it could be worse. I just can't wait for an affordable dedicated space any longer.

Anyone have any opinions on this stuff? The guy has about 5x more of the Sonex. Should I go get more at this price for that time I find myself in a bigger/better long term space?

Next on my list is going to be the biggest single expense of this whole endeavor. About (40) 2'x4'x4" pieces of 703, some wood, some fabric, and some Roxul. Plan on filling corners with Roxul, maybe (8-10) 703 panels for mix position walls, another (12-14) for clouds above both mix position and drums. Still going over in my head ways of suspending clouds without putting holes in the wall. If I could make them light enough, I've been wondering if the clouds could be suspended by cables anchored in opposing walls. The landlord MIGHT allow 8 holes if it's agreed I'll leave them needing only paint. I just don't like the idea of framing up a frame for the clouds, leaving me feeling like my mix desk is a kid's desk under the top bunk. Someone please tell me to skip the clouds. : ) I also want to build 3-4 4'x6'x8" bass traps on casters so they can be moved as needed.

Sound like I'm headed in the right direction? Thoughts welcome. Thanks
Depending on what you’re trying to accomplish i don’t think you’d get many here telling you to buy Sonex stuff...

Oc703, roxul all day
Old 24th February 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Depending on what you’re trying to accomplish i don’t think you’d get many here telling you to buy Sonex stuff...

Oc703, roxul all day
No, I figured that. This was just a start. Like I said, 703/Roxul next. It's just gonna be more complicated to make it portable/reuseable, and I hate that it might end up looking like a dorm room.

I guess I jumped on this Sonex because I've been searching for years for a space I can afford. Someplace I can have a big tracking room, and get a good natural reverb. A place I can actually use room mics on a drum kit. But, over the years, I keep seeing high end studios stick the drummer in a foam lined room and using digital reverb, so whatever. I guess I'll try it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search