The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FRK or substitute membrane?
Old 22nd February 2019
Here for the gear
FRK or substitute membrane?

I've been working with broadband absorbers and bass absorbers, using open frames with OC703 2" (broadband) and OC705 4" (low end), with the front (room side) sheet 705 FRK. I get the concept about the FRK facing, but that stuff is $$$! So my question is: can another membrane be used instead of the FRK foil? Say, a 6mil poly sheeting, attached with spray adhesive? Is there science that says ok or nay? I could build it and shoot it with my test mic, but I'm still trying to make sense of all the squiggly graphs! The FRK is $8-9 more per sheet and if the performance is close enough (or maybe better at not kicking back so much hi-end as the foil does?) then...money saved. I'm using Guilford of Maine FR701, so anything I can do to keep the cost down and still get results is helpful. P.S. - I also use a polyester speaker fabric for some clients, and it rocks for transparency, but it's just not got the durability or bling of the Guilford.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search