The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slat Absorber Percentages
Old 11th February 2019
Here for the gear

Slat Absorber Percentages

Hello all!
I have been lurking here and on the JS forum for a number of months while designing and building my electronic music mixing/mastering room.
I have attempted to treat the room with a broadband approach because of my lack of knowledge and the size of the space. I created a decoupled room inside of my garage that (first reflective surface) is H: 8'-7 1/8" W: 11'-2 1/8" L: 16'-4" (Louden #2 ). The ceiling is entirely absorbed (2" rockboard 60). The floor is reflective. And all of the walls are absorbed with a combination of 2" rockboard 80 and 3" safe n sound. The back of the room is layered; 2" rockboard 80, 2" rockboard 60, and then 3" safe n sound. The side wall treatments are angled at 6 degrees, from flush to the wall of the room, to 1'-10 3/4" air gap at the front of room. Bass traps are filled with Comfortbatt r15.

Now I am preparing to install slats over the front end of my room. My sidewalls are not truly sealed and so will not act as resonators. Too much potential for error for me to want to go that route; I would rather a more broadband approach.
I intend to use REW as I go as well as my own ear to taste for liveness. But I need a starting target for what percentage of absorption makes sense. I have read a lot of people suggest something on the order of 25% absorption. I've read also that less than 10% is resonator territory whereas above 20% is slat absorption territory. But when I look at the actual designs they are building, I get something much closer to 15%.
After some research, my own design came out to about 13% which seems like very little.
To be honest, this topic is obviously much deeper than I am prepared to deal with in a very tangible manor. However seems as though I should be able to approach it practically given the information I do have and the intended use. I just need some clarification on what the differences are between these ranges for slat absorbers also considering the small size of my room.
Attached Thumbnails
Slat Absorber Percentages-screen-shot-2019-02-11-6.47.44-am.png  
Old 11th February 2019
Here for the gear

I am really hoping to hear from Andre on this topic. As one does.
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWalker View Post
I am really hoping to hear from Andre on this topic. As one does.
Welcome to Gearslutz!

If you are concerned about resonance then keep the percent open area at 20% or grater. The high end absorption is controlled by the width of the slats. The low end absorption is controlled by depth.

Enjoy!

Andre
Old 13th February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Welcome to Gearslutz!

If you are concerned about resonance then keep the percent open area at 20% or grater. The high end absorption is controlled by the width of the slats. The low end absorption is controlled by depth.

Enjoy!

Andre
Thanks Andre! I've started just metering with REW and working my way starting at the back of the sidewalls moving forward with vertical slats. Adding a bit at a time and then metering again.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search