The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to mount these heavy absorbers?
Old 2nd February 2019
How to mount these heavy absorbers?

Hi, some time ago I purchased these Wenger broadband absorbers used from a friend. They have a metal frame and two 2x4s, top and bottom, which I'm presuming is for mounting. They work well but are insanely heavy. I had previously mounted them using angle brackets but it was a fragile setup.

Does anyone know the proper way to mount these to the wall?
Attached Thumbnails
How to mount these heavy absorbers?-img_0707.jpg  
Old 2nd February 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmedek View Post
Hi, some time ago I purchased these Wenger broadband absorbers used from a friend. They have a metal frame and two 2x4s, top and bottom, which I'm presuming is for mounting. They work well but are insanely heavy. I had previously mounted them using angle brackets but it was a fragile setup.

Does anyone know the proper way to mount these to the wall?
How much do they weigh?

You'll probably want to use some sort of heavy duty mounting cleats with drywall anchors (assuming you're mounting these to drywall and not relying on studs behind the wall). Here is a link for reference on the design:

Acoustic Panel Installation Hardware

You could probably find all sorts of larger ones depending on what works best for you, but mounting cleats are the most reliable way I've found so far.

Best of luck!
Old 3rd February 2019
Gear Head

I made some french cleats for mounting my panels. Can you take the top 2x4 off, and rip a 45 degree angle in it?
Old 3rd February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
I made some french cleats for mounting my panels. Can you take the top 2x4 off, and rip a 45 degree angle in it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaktorBubble95 View Post
mounting cleats are the most reliable way I've found so far.
Thanks for the replies, guys…the french cleat idea was my direction, too, but since they were mounted already at one point I was wondering if I was missing out on a better or more established way to get them up. (Plus the way the wood is screwed to the rear frame makes it difficult to mount after ripping.)

I ended up buying a set of cleat-style picture hangers at my hardware store, rated for 100 lbs, so should do the trick without needing to rip the wood. The ATS ones are actually a little less expensive but the ones I bought are a rail style and faster to install.
Old 3rd February 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmedek View Post
Thanks for the replies, guys…the french cleat idea was my direction, too, but since they were mounted already at one point I was wondering if I was missing out on a better or more established way to get them up. (Plus the way the wood is screwed to the rear frame makes it difficult to mount after ripping.)

I ended up buying a set of cleat-style picture hangers at my hardware store, rated for 100 lbs, so should do the trick without needing to rip the wood. The ATS ones are actually a little less expensive but the ones I bought are a rail style and faster to install.
Best of luck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search