The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Low-Cost Wall Mount for OC-703 Acoustic Panels Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 10th May 2007
Low-Cost Wall Mount for OC-703 Acoustic Panels

I designed and built some OC-703 acoustic panel wall mounts for less than $10 each using (oak-faced) 1/2 inch plywood, a 2"X4", some screws, 2 hanging brackets, 4 felt adhesive pads and 4 angle braces.

It is posted in the low-end theory but thought others might want to know.
$10 DIY Wall Mounts for your Owens-Corning 703 Acoustic Panels
Old 10th May 2007
Gear Guru

What I did was even cheaper. I built a 2x4 frame right on the wall with the appropriate angles, etc.. Then filled it with one foot squares of 703 in checkerboard fashion by gluting the 703 right to the drywall. Made an identical form on the opposing wall, checkerboarded it as well, BUT in a mirror image. This allowed me not to deaden the CRM too much. ie: What is hard on one wall is "soft" on the other and vice verca. This allowed testing before covering with fabric. When the acoustical consultant was happy I was set to go the next step. One huge bolt of fabric later, I stretched and stapled the fabric over the forms and stapled it into place and the finish carpenter made it look supernice with 1/4 round molding. Total pro look, won't fall off, does what it needs to do.

Congrats on your solution.
Old 10th May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
What I did was even cheaper. I built a 2x4 frame right on the wall with the appropriate angles, etc.. Then filled it with one foot squares of 703 in checkerboard fashion by gluting the 703 right to the drywall. Made an identical form on the opposing wall, checkerboarded it as well, BUT in a mirror image. This allowed me not to deaden the CRM too much. ie: What is hard on one wall is "soft" on the other and vice verca. This allowed testing before covering with fabric. When the acoustical consultant was happy I was set to go the next step. One huge bolt of fabric later, I stretched and stapled the fabric over the forms and stapled it into place and the finish carpenter made it look supernice with 1/4 round molding. Total pro look, won't fall off, does what it needs to do.

Congrats on your solution.
Glad your concept works for you! thumbsup
After reading much of Ethan Winer's material, I saw where he suggests that having the panels sitting away from the wall works better (he actually suggests 12 inches away if one can afford to lose that much square footage.....).
I couldn't do 12 inches but I can afford the 4.5 inches.
Plus mine is just a 1 room 11X11 home studio so I need to make it fairly "dead".

Have Fun!!heh
Old 10th May 2007
Gear Guru

Actually straddling corners is best.

Glenn
Old 10th May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie View Post
Actually straddling corners is best.
Glenn
Thanks, Glenn.
I did the brackets in the middle as they are so I would only need to use just half of a 2X4 sheet of plywood (lengthwise) to reduce the cost.
Old 11th May 2007
Gear Maniac

I mounted all my traps with these 3 things. Total cost , about $2 per trap. You can screw the hooks in by hand into the top of the trap , a little off center so that it leans back toward the wall , and then just put 2 squares of foam on the 2 bottom corners to hold it out from the wall a couple inches.
works good for me
Attached Thumbnails
Low-Cost Wall Mount for OC-703 Acoustic Panels-shelf-bracket.jpg   Low-Cost Wall Mount for OC-703 Acoustic Panels-hook-screw.jpg   Low-Cost Wall Mount for OC-703 Acoustic Panels-toggle-bolt.jpg  
Old 11th May 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestudioguy View Post
Glad your concept works for you! thumbsup
Well, my walls are angled, double floated walls, etc. I don't know a whole lot about the theory, but that's what I was advised to do for my situation and it worked out well. Much cheaper and better sounding than some of the "off the shelf" products. With a little 703 and some ingenuity, you can make stuff that looks totally pro, costs just a little and does and excellent job.

to those who've made the effort to tame their spaces. heh
Old 11th May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormkloud View Post
I mounted all my traps with these 3 things. Total cost , about $2 per trap. You can screw the hooks in by hand into the top of the trap , a little off center so that it leans back toward the wall , and then just put 2 squares of foam on the 2 bottom corners to hold it out from the wall a couple inches.
works good for me
And THAT is all that matters!
Old 11th May 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormkloud View Post
I mounted all my traps with these 3 things
Storm, cool. I was however not talking about traps - just treatment to knock down standing waves. I have a different treatment for trapping bass.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search