The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thoughts on DIY corner trap
Old 24th October 2018
Here for the gear

Thoughts on DIY corner trap

I've browsed this site for a few days, I have a couple questions on fabricating a corner bass trap.

I have seen a few builds using triangular pieces of Safe N Sound, I would like to do the same. Just curious if this is effective for peaks of 40-60hz, and would removing the tip of the triangular wedge that faces the corner leaving about 5-6" of air gap help?

I was thinking about using Tri Traps but given their price point, I'm considering going floor to ceiling with 24" wide Safe N Sound wedges.

For those that have done this, how well did it tame your bass peaks?

Would the wedges perform better with a full triangular shape, tucked into the corner, or like I stated earlier, cut that one point off and leave a small air gap in the corner?

Thanks!
Old 27th October 2018
Here for the gear

Would OC 705 be good for stacking in the corner in a triangular shape like some projects here, or is Safe N Sound better for lower bass?

I can make the corner trap about 15x15x21 with 21 being the side facing the room. Taking it to the ceiling which is 8', just wondering if I should use all Safe N Sound, all 705, or mix it up.
Old 3rd March 2019
Here for the gear

No replies for 4 months?... Did I say something wrong?
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adauphin View Post
No replies for 4 months?... Did I say something wrong?
you asked vague questions. For corner traps SSCs with safe n sound is the best straight forward. Yes it will help at 40-60 Hz.
Old 3rd March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
you asked vague questions. For corner traps SSCs with safe n sound is the best straight forward. Yes it will help at 40-60 Hz.
This topic does get tossed around a lot, but I thought my question was quite specific, more importantly about trimming one corner to add a small air gap, as well as stacked safe n sound vs a tri-trap.

I haven't seen anything about trimming the corner that faces the 90 deg corner.
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Safe n sound is the first alternative to 703 suggested on Studiotips. I know because it w as s siggested by me. It is close to the ideal material.

Why do you want to make a gap?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search