The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Building superchunks, panels that don't affect high end?
Old 2nd July 2018
Here for the gear

Building superchunks, panels that don't affect high end?

This is my first post to the forum so please excuse me if I violate any rules or standards, and let me know if this would be better suited to the newbie forum. After a great deal of research and frustration, I've decided to build 4 floor to ceiling superchunk bass traps and a bass trap acoustic panel for my home studio, used primarily for mixing but also occasionally for recording live instruments. Right now, with acoustic foam in place for early reflections and 8 small auralex foam bass traps in the trihedral corners, REW wizard is showing a very flat and consistent mid-high (from around 700 hz all the way up), and then some fairly significant resonant peaks and a few dips between 40 and ~500.

I've purchased rockwool safe n sound and all the wood I'll need (mostly pine, if that's relevant) to build all this. The acoustic panel will be 4' x 2' and the bass traps will be a little under 2' across the hypotonuse side though if it doesn't increase my costs dramatically I could alter the dimensions.

My question is, what is the best material and associated thickness that I could place on the exposed front of the superchunks and acoustic panel between the rockwool and the outer material, very thin cotton, that would keep the high end in tact while still controlling the low end, and mid-lows, primarily emphasizing on the sub-200 range? I've tried searching a good bit to find a general consensus but have not had much luck. Also, as a follow up, should I have the superchunks placed with any airspace behind them? The moulding on the walls and the three .75"x2" pieces of wood holding the rockwool in place will prevent them from being flush against the walls but I can get pretty damn close or alter my design slightly to have them flush if that's imperative to their functionality.

I can provide more accurate measurements and pictures if necessary. +1 for suggestions that keep my costs low.
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

You could use any open backed panel trap, stacked up, to cover a Super Chunk, the 34" cut width fits nicely behind a 24"x 48" panel.
Also you could use a PIB fully opened to cover the insulation stack. Another option is to build a frame around the edges of the superchunk,
to then attach pegboard to the face of the frame...which could then be upholstered with fabric.
Kinda depends what you are trying to do...

YYMV

Light

Temple
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear
From what I read from the experts here (Ethan Winer and others): Film plastic or FRK.
Old 16th April 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies guys. I was in the process of building them when you responded and just now almost a year later logged back in for the first time. Ended up using painter's plastic on 2 and Kraft paper on one, keeping the final one in an early reflection zone open apart from the muslin. Worked really well. Flattened out my room a ton without making it too anoechoic during recording.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search