The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What are the advantages of Perforated Acoustic Panels, over other Acoustic Absorbers?
Old 29th June 2018
Gear Nut

What are the advantages of Perforated Acoustic Panels, over other Acoustic Absorbers?

For years I wasn't even aware that "Perforated Acoustic Panels" were a thing. Everyone only seemed to talk about Foam, Rockwool, Acoustic Blankets, Acoustic Panels, and so on. Lately I've been watching a few videos of platinum artists recording in the studio, and I've seen in multiple videos this tan colored pegboard hanging in both recording/vocal room, as well as the mix room. Had no idea what this material was, until further research.

Upon some brief research it seems that these perforated panels need to be hung, with rockwool/acoustic wool behind them. What is the advantage of doing this over just using acoustic foam/panels? Does it provide an extra diffusion capability? Something else? Why is it seldom talked about here, yet seemingly widely used in major studios?
Old 17th June 2019
Here for the gear

When I think about perforated acoustic panels all I can say is that they are made of really good materiala and they look good. Acoustic grooved panels can be used as both sound absorption and decoration panel with perforations on both sides and grooves on face side. The substrate thickness can be 12, 15, and 18mm. There are many standard options available. Acoustic multi grooves wood paneling can also be customized so talk to them for other options. It is available in a 2440x128mm standard size, but the panel size can fully fit any space after installation. For more information on these substrates, please contact them.
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Probably Binary Acoustic Diffusers(BAD). Filtered range diffusers. Pics would help.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search