The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Owens Corning Thermafiber Ultrabat
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Head

Owens Corning Thermafiber Ultrabat

Is this product okay to use for super chunk bass traps ?

UltraBatt™ Insulation | Thermafiber

https://www.thermafiber.com/wp-content/ ... -Sheet.pdf
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

The absence of Noise Reduction Coefficients in the data sheets is telling. Of course it will work to some extent, but without hard data regarding the performance characteristics of the material it will be a riskier investment with an unpredictable outcome, there is not even lb pcf density figures available for said material. There are plentiful other options with known test results regarding acoustical properties that are better solutions,
cost being the only other constraint. If you cant locate or confirm test results for the stuff, I would seek another material for the application.
It has been recommended to me that 1.6lb pcf Knaupf Ecose is the best material for this application.
I am still undecided as to material and design for my chunks as yet...but they are close.

YYMV

Light

Temple
Old 1st August 2018
Here for the gear

I've just been looking at this stuff too due to the pricing and ease of purchase. I bought the cheapest bale Menards, which happened to be the R-15/3.5" thickness variety had and took it home. It measures at 4lbs/ft^3, which is quite dense for something this cheap. Note that the 6" and 7" thick versions are 3lbs/ft^3 if their nominal weights are accurate. It's not fully rigid, but it's damned close. Laid at a 45* angle against a wall, the center sagged about 1.5" over the 48" length of the panel. You can take one end of the panel and wiggle it and the panel will wave slightly like the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. They'd definitely be fine on a wall, probably would need a frame for a horizontal/ceiling application.

Given that the density is in a good range, what do you think the liklelyhood that not providing sound absorption data is a marketing move to prevent undercutting their more expensive products in the Thermafiber line (SAFB, Fire and Sound) that do carry certifications? Given that this gets down to $0.77/ft^2 or $2.66/ft^3 in the 3.5" thickness, that's a hell of a savings over 703.

Basically, I can build one panel out of 703 or 10 panels out of Ultrabatt for the same money. Is there any reason to suspect that 10x the area treated for the same price isn't the smart way to go?
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Guru
SSC

The 'home' of the SuperChunk is studiotips.com Those, and the very effective corner straddling panel trap. They used 703 for everything. One cannot know if that was deliberate or were they just going along with a traditional 'best' choice.
I believe there are better performing options, Isover HD Duct Cladding, Caruso Isobond, Autex etc. but some of those may sag.

The classic SSC is 17" deep at the apex. It is hard to figure it's acoustically effective depth, as this diminishes to zero at both edges.

Given the size, expense, commitment, involved, and the absolute lack of tests at other GFR/Density, I always recommend copying the very successful tested design.
Here, Isover HD DC, a 48KG Glass product, slightly better than 703 in the absorption data.

Panels benefit from a higher density. Commercial products do not chose to use the much more expensive dense fibre for no reason. So we see a lot of 48KG - 100KG (6pcf)
There are damped membrane effects. I haven't seen 703 due to ridiculous cost and distro issues. But I am told it is quite rigid, won't sag even overhead.

You could do the arithmetic to get the density of your product. From the look of it and the application on the website, I would say it is a light material. Good for actually thick traps like the SoffiTrap or whole wall treatments. Take a look at boggy's builds on instagram. That looks like low density Ecose to me, probably 24KG 1.6 pound. The treatments are 24" thick though.

DD
Old 15th August 2018
Here for the gear

Turns out that 703 is about the same density of your mineral wool, 3 lbs/cf. The twice denser material 705 at 6 obs/cf has less bass absorbing characteristics. Here’s an interesting discussion of the relation of density to absorption. Yes, but I have read that higher density acoustic insulation (like OC705) is better for low-end absorption. Ready Acoustics!
Old 4th December 2018
Here for the gear

I've been trying to find any density and acoustic information on this product. It seems like they're working really hard not to provide this information... I did find this:

Thermafiber NRC & STC Data (this seems to generic Thermafiber info based upon product density; i.e. if our product is X thick, this is the NRC):
https://www.buildsite.com/pdf/therma...ta-1132405.pdf

Walls and Ceilings (your go-to source for all wall and ceiling news...) wrote an article stating UltraBatt has an STC of 30:
https://www.wconline.com/articles/88...att-insulation

I have a feeling this stuff is exactly the same as SAFB but repackaged / branded to compete in a different (cheaper) market / application. I'm debating on taking a chance on it. It's so much cheaper and easier to get ahold of. I wish someone smarter than me could chime in and let us know if it's any good.
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginable View Post
I've been trying to find any density and acoustic information on this product. It seems like they're working really hard not to provide this information... I did find this:

Thermafiber NRC & STC Data (this seems to generic Thermafiber info based upon product density; i.e. if our product is X thick, this is the NRC):
https://www.buildsite.com/pdf/therma...ta-1132405.pdf

...very favorable data for low frequency band in higher thicknesses...

Walls and Ceilings (your go-to source for all wall and ceiling news...) wrote an article stating UltraBatt has an STC of 30:
https://www.wconline.com/articles/88...att-insulation

...without providing any specs or links...

I have a feeling this stuff is exactly the same as SAFB but repackaged / branded to compete in a different (cheaper) market / application. I'm debating on taking a chance on it. It's so much cheaper and easier to get ahold of. I wish someone smarter than me could chime in and let us know if it's any good.
These manufacturer's know full well that the majority of it's sales are from people using the product for acoustical applications, rather than as pure thermal insulation in construction applications. That's why they are keen to keep a market segment guessing as long as possible to snare as many sales from people who don't already know better.
That's not to say the product is useless or not acceptable in acoustical uses, but there may be better options if performance rather than convenience or cost is your objective...another point of conjecture:
why don't the manufacturer's ever measure or publish specs below 125hz?
Hence why did the performance specs of 703 change to lesser performance in the low band?
They tampered with the formulation of it...
If it works why fix it?
and it makes me wonder...

YYMV

Light

Temple
Old 20th March 2019
Here for the gear

Note the list of synonymous products.
https://www.thermafiber.com/wp-conte...tion-Sheet.pdf

15" x 47" semi-rigid (yeah, they'll sag w/o a frame) non-faced batts commonly available at the big orange box store for ~$41 a bag. Works out to $0.85/sf. The specs previously posted are correct.
https://www.thermafiber.com/wp-conte...Data-Sheet.pdf
Old 15th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Looking at the numbers it seems that the Thermafiber Fire and Sound Guard should be equivalent to safe n sound? If I buy more than 15 bags I could pick it up for $28.75 per bag which seems like a crazy deal at nearly half the price of SNS.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search