The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2D Skyline diffusor combination / array
Old 26th March 2018
Here for the gear

2D Skyline diffusor combination / array

Hello, I'm a new poster but I have been reading the forum for some time now, especially about building diffusors.
I have been reading the forum and searching how to make a custom size 2D skyline diffusor but I haven't come across anything that I can understand and use yet. I have a space on the back of the studio wall where I would like to put a diffusor vertically - width: 36cm, height: 144cm - I used an online diffusor calculator to calculate the the dimensions of one panel which is 36cm, as I couldn't find any calculator to actually calculate a custom dimension difffusor I figured I can make 4 of these smaller panels and hang them vertically one below other. But more I read about orientating them properly, arrays and inverses, more I get confused. Needless to say I'm not good at math at all.
Is there a right way to hang 4 identical diffusors to make one big vertical panel or all 4 diffusors should be made differently, if so is there an easy way to do it?

I hope that wasn't too confusing and thanks a lot for your help!
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Nut

What frequency range are you trying to affect? A 36cm wide diffusor is narrow and may not offer much change, even at 144 cm long. That's the equivalent of 28 x 28 inches or half a meter squared. If you had the space, 4 side by side skylines of equal build would be fine and at 24x24 inches per panel, you could certainly hear more "air" in the room. More than 4 of this size and you might want to start inverting or just skewing (turning every other one 90 degrees) depending on the overal size of the room.

Can you spare space to go bigger?
What is the freq you want to affect?
Size / dimensions of room?
How far from the back wall (diffusor location) is your listening position?
Old 27th March 2018
Here for the gear

Hey, thanks for your reply, much appreciated!

The room length is 4m, and the width is 2.80m
I could double up the panels to around 72cm or something similar, the wall is empty but I was planning on putting up absorption panels on each side of the diffusor.
The frequency - I hear some middle frequency reflections and higher frequency flutter / ringing (I hope that absorption pannels will help with that too).
I would be sitting closer to the front wall, probably 1m - 1.20m from the wall.

I probably wouldn't go and buy all the materials and everything to build this diffusor if I don't know 100% how to do it correctly, but I already have all the materials and tools to do it from previous unrelated projects so I might as well try it.

Thanks!
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer View Post
Hello, I'm a new poster but I have been reading the forum for some time now, especially about building diffusors.
I have been reading the forum and searching how to make a custom size 2D skyline diffusor but I haven't come across anything that I can understand and use yet. I have a space on the back of the studio wall where I would like to put a diffusor vertically - width: 36cm, height: 144cm - I used an online diffusor calculator to calculate the the dimensions of one panel which is 36cm, as I couldn't find any calculator to actually calculate a custom dimension difffusor I figured I can make 4 of these smaller panels and hang them vertically one below other. But more I read about orientating them properly, arrays and inverses, more I get confused. Needless to say I'm not good at math at all.
Is there a right way to hang 4 identical diffusors to make one big vertical panel or all 4 diffusors should be made differently, if so is there an easy way to do it?

I hope that wasn't too confusing and thanks a lot for your help!
Hello,

A diffusor must be set at a minimal distance from the listening position.

the distance is define by the lowest diffusion frequency multiply by three

exemple : 800 Hz give 130 cm
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Nut

Are you also putting bass traps in the rear corners, in addition to the absorbing panels on the sides? Maybe those are your bass traps. Room is long enough to sit forward of the diffuser by more than 2m, so it won't have a negative impact on the listening position. That's good.
Old 28th March 2018
Here for the gear

Hey, thanks for your input guys! I'm going to make the panels from rockwool, which I'm going to place on the rear wall and also on the early reflection points on the side walls + some foam panels, so I'm still thinking to order basstraps that are made of foam or just place the rockwool panels in the corners. At this point I was thinking to place around 6 rockwool panels around the room + around 20 foam panels. The room is completely empty at the moment so when talking and clapping I can hear a lot of high frequency ringing and also some mid-frequency reverb.
Thanks.
Old 28th March 2018
Gear Nut

The foam products do almost nothing in low frequencies. They sell them as bass traps but they really are not good. If you are serious about this, you should wait until you have a better undersatanding of your rooms tested measurements. Are you willing to read the measing thread stickied at top of acoustics forum and use free software REW and a measurement mic. I use a Umik-1 usb mic that makes measuring easier. Once you know the modal response and peaks/dips, you can get advise on treatment that will actually work good for you. Rockwool of the right depths, densities and quantity can help with the bass, mid and high issues.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search