The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acoustic Treatment
Old 28th January 2018
Post Acoustic Treatment

Its been going on some days now on various facebook group sites asking about acoustic treatment and so far I'm just not at a good conclusion of what I should get and how much of it I should get.

I'm in a small bedroom (to my eyes) and I sing in my closet. My closet, since I started 5-8 years ago, has had this AURALEX rubber matt stuff that is meant to go between the walls on it. I had to drill the pieces I cut from the roll, up on the wall. I use to have AURALEX over that but then got rid of the AURALEX cause I thought I was going to sing in my car but found out that wasn't working out, so now I'm back to my room but now I'm going to need more foam again cause just that rubber matt material makes it sound sort of spacy hollow like. With the foam it was a dead sounding compact.

I don't know the dimensions of my room. Never cared to measure. I use to own 9 GIK panels and 2 tri traps for 2 corners and it really made my room sound like it was sound proof or something. I really liked it. I was stupid and sold the panels and here I am back looking to see what I should do now.

I'm a singer and a hobbyist at best. I don't want to sound cocky and say I'm marvelous cause others once they hear my singing would say otherwise.

So I'm about to purchase 9 GIK 242 panels again but I won't have the money for the tri traps. This is so freaking expensive. I've heard the whole argument of building yourself but I don't see myself trying to do that.

Some other points you should know. I feel like I hardly use my Presonus E5 monitors ever. I usually make beats on my headphones and sing on them and then mix on them. You really can't say I mix anything because even though I've watched many tutorials and read so much and own so many plugins, I don't really understand the proper use of any plug and how to really dial it in properly. I usually throw random stuff on my tracks like EZ MIX or if it has presets great.

For 9 panels from GIK we're looking at like $800 I think. It's raw. I just feel not motivated this time around to fork all that out. I think the first time I paid $1200 for everything but never really accomplished anything with the panels.

People probably think I am making money over here but I am not. So why is room treatment worth it if I'm not making any money? It's rather nonsense. I've been saying, why not just buy a very expensive pair of headphones and call it a day....plus shove as much foam in my closet as I can.

I have a new steven slate MIC coming in a few days and I have that SE ELECTRONICS reflection space filter coming too. Besides that, I have no treatment.

Please help me. I had the order in once for the panels but a day ago I got cold feet and cancelled my order but now I'm kinda back to telling myself just F****** do it and be done with it already.

I'll leave my muisc so you can be the judge of whether any of this is worth it or not. Everything was done on headphones.

Ryan Harvey | ReverbNation

Plus i have some singing on my instagram.

RyanHarvey (@ryanghostrider) • Instagram photos and videos

I've told everyone this whole journey started back in 2008 for singing and its just turned into everything from beatmaking to trying to mix. I have spent a lot of money on virtual instruments and plugins, and I'm just too deep to ever call it quits. Like you have no idea how deep I am in all of this.
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Have a look in the Studio building/Acoustics section of the forum.
Old 28th January 2018
Here for the gear

Treat the mic, not the room

The only reason to treat a room is the remove the room from the equation. If you're mixing in your room and you know your room then there's no need to treat it. You'll know you get a build up in say 4k. Knowing that you just don't cut in 4k. It's just the room. As for the closet, I never liked booths anyway. But in order to track vocals in your room you'll need some help. That's where the Acltron PF8 comes in. You may have to throw a quilt over some mic stands behind you, or just sing with your back to the closet. Studio Micphone Screen Vocal Sound Record Booth Reflection Filter Acoustic Foam | eBay
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royaldeadman View Post
Its been going on some days now on various facebook group sites asking about acoustic treatment and so far I'm just not at a good conclusion of what I should get and how much of it I should get.
If you have a small space, get as much as you can
then when you save up your money, get some more
Quote:
I sing in my closet.
yeah don't sing in a closet. Just don't.

Quote:
My closet, since I started 5-8 years ago, has had this AURALEX rubber matt stuff
and don't use foam
use 703 or rock wool based panels. You can buy them or DIY. Tons of plans for these things on the acoustics forum here and on similar forums all over the system of tubes.

Quote:
So now I'm back to my room but now I'm going to need more foam again cause just that rubber matt material...
No, no foam. Rubber mats and limp-mass vinyl are good for soundproofing, they will block the transmission of sound from the outside world into your studio. They are not going to balance out the acoustics of your space. You need broad band absorption and then probably some extra soaking up of the lows.

Quote:
I use to own 9 GIK panels and 2 tri traps for 2 corners and it really made my room sound like it was sound proof or something. I really liked it. I was stupid and sold the panels and here I am back looking to see what I should do now.
You clearly know what you should do now. You had proper panels, they made your room sound good, you sold them and now you realize your room doesn't sound as good anymore! Is there really a "question" here? Go get or make some proper panels. The information of what constitutes proper treatment is repeated over and over on these forums and still people do things like put up foam, carpet and mats, buy those stupid 'filters' and wonder why it sounds bad.

Quote:
I think the first time I paid $1200 for everything but never really accomplished anything with the panels.
you just said: you really liked it... they made your room sound good! That's an "accomplishment"! Something that you have apparently failed to do with your foam. If you didn't make a hit record, that's not the panels' fault! Frankly these do not strike me as "audio" problems anymore - but just problems thinking logically.

Quote:
People probably think I am making money over here
actually it never even occurred to me that you were making money.

Quote:
but I am not. So why is room treatment worth it if I'm not making any money?
You could ask the same "worth it" statement about your new Slate mic. Or you computer or your interface or you DAW. By that same definition, every last bit of your audio gear is a "waste of money"! Come on, you know this. If you want to make a 'sensible' investment for a small business, buy a truck with a snowplow.

Quote:
...why not just buy a very expensive pair of headphones and call it a day....plus shove as much foam in my closet as I can.
How about because neither one of those 2 things will make your recordings of your vocals come out even a drop better?

Quote:
I have a new steven slate MIC coming in a few days and I have that SE ELECTRONICS reflection space filter coming too. Besides that, I have no treatment.
How can you complain you can't afford room treatment when you have the dough for this? What did you do with the money you got when you sold your panels? What is your expensive new mic going to record? A boxy vocal sound from your closet filled with foam!

Quote:
Please help me.
You don't really need anybody's 'help' because you ALREADY KNOW what are the right things to do. Nobody here can force you to use your common sense or to take good advice.
Old 28th January 2018
If I could d I y what are all the pieces I need and do you have to build. Frame around the foam? If itโ€™s going to be more than 700$ I can just get 9 g I k panels for that so I might just go with them
Old 29th January 2018
Man... we've been having some discussions about acoustic treatments in this forum and a couple other on gearslutz already for the last couple days. If you look through my previous thread history you'll find a few of them.

The GIK panels are a good choice so long as they have OC703 fiberglass or Roxul Rockwool in them as the absorptive material. Guilford of Maine fabric is "THE" standard for acoustic fabric, but it is crazy expensive. My studios are all covered with Guilford Of Maine fabric so I know how much it costs. It's crazy. The majority of the price of those panels is probably the fabric!

Anyway...my big question for you is why are you recording in a closet? What is the reasoning behind setting up in the closet?

the reason I ask is, a closet is about the worst place you can record anything. The smaller the enclosed space, the worse the acoustics are and the MORE acoustic treatment you need to combat it. With a small closet, you can't get enough acoustic treatment in and still have room for yourself to stand in there!

The biggest the space, the easier it is to get a decent sound. So if you have a bigger room you can use, use it. If I were you I would NOT use the closet for anything except storing stuff and I would record your vocals in your bedroom. That will be better than the closet for sure.

You can use the 2' x 2' panels, but for recording vocals I would strongly recommend 4' x 2' panels and then center the panels around your head/mouth... so you would have 2 ft of panel above your mouth and 2 ft below when mounting the panels on the walls.

Since money is a factor, I recommend getting panels that can do double duty and setting up hooks/hangers for both a vocal tracking "configuration" and a mixing "configuration".

I said this in another post, but ideally for recording vocals you need at least eight 4ft x 2ft panels. Preferably 2 inches thick or thicker. Use one corner of your room that is easily accessible as the "vocal tracking corner". Hang a panel across the corner first. then hang panels on the wall on either side of the panel that is spanning across the corner. Make sure these two panels that are flush against the wall are butted right up against the corner panel. Then put another panel up next to the panels you just put up on either side. So you should have a corner panel, and then 2 panels on either side of the corner panel coming out from the corner. So that is 5 panels total at this time.

Next get ceiling hooks from a local hardware store. Something you could hang a pot with plants in it from the ceiling. The weight requirement should be at least 30 lbs, but if you can get the 90lb hooks just to make sure the ceiling panel will never have any chance of pulling out of the ceiling and falling on you. :-)

hand the ceiling panel on the ceiling coming out from where the corner panel is. The idea is, your back is going to be almost up against that corner panel and you will be facing out INTO the room. You want a panel to be over your head and extending out into the room a little bit too. This way the mic and your head are both under the panel. That is the 6th panel.

Final the last two panels you can hang on mic stands or get special free-standing stands for them... these last two panels are out in the room a little. after the last panel stops on either wall, put a panel free-standing on a stand at a 90 degree angle to the wall. this panel doesn't have to be touching the wall or the wall panels, it can be out from the wall a little bit. You will have one of these on both sides... There is two purposes for these panels. The main reason is because most cardioid microphones aren't really cardioid throughout the frequency spectrum. Unless you have a REALLY expensive cardioid mic, your mic is going to start becoming omni directional above and below 1KHz to some degree. It will still be least sensitive to sound directly behind the microphone, but off to the back SIDES of the mic can sometimes still be pretty sensitive to sound... so you want to use these two free standing panels to block sound reflecting back into the mic at the 135ยบ and 225ยบ angles (the degree references are in relation to the front of the mic being 0ยบ).

The second purpose for these free standing panels is they can help even out the bass response in the room a little bit more.

Anyway... that is your vocal booth setup... you can hopefully still see your computer screen while you are standing in the corner... and you can get a USB extension for a keyboard so you can hit record, stop, rewind or get a wireless keyboard.

Next, after you record you can reconfigure the panels using additional hooks/hangers for mixing and monitoring. For mixing/monitoring you need at least one panel on the wall on either side of you, about halfway between where you sit and where your speakers sit. You need a panel or two in front of you on the wall in between your speakers and your computer monitor. You need at least one panel on the ceiling overhead about halfway between your speakers and your listening position... and finally you should put a couple of panels on the back wall behind you to stop the sound of the speakers bouncing off the back wall and reflecting right back at you. so this all adds up to 7 panels. You'll have one left over from your vocal setup that you can just leave in the corner, or you can hang 3 panels across the wall behind you instead of two just to make sure nothing reflects off the back wall at you.

Again the panels are ideally 4ft by 2ft... and you center the panels to your ears and/or speaker tweeters so that 2ft of the panel is above your ears and 2ft of the panel is below your ears.

If you only have 2ft by 2ft panels you can do the same thing, just make sure you have the panels center so 1ft above your ears and 1ft below... same with the vocal corner... makes sure you hang the panels centered on your mouth and microphone height so that there is 1 ft of panel above your mouth and 1ft below.

The taller panels just give you a little more leeway/movement without causing problems. But if you already ordered and paid for the 2ft by 2ft panels you can still make it work.

I own twelve 4ft x 2ft x 2inch thick Ready Acoustic panels that I take with me when I have to record at composers'/songwriters' houses as well as when I have to record at my own house.

You can get a package of wall picture hanger hooks rated at 30lbs and come with the hook and its own nail for super cheap from home depot and other hardware/DIY stores. And I already mentioned the ceiling hangers. So you will have your hooks in the walls for the vocal corner and hooks in the walls for your mixing setup... and then you just move the panels back and forth as needed. It takes maybe 2 minutes and you might need a little step stool for the ceiling panels. But it works like a charm.

Cheers and good luck!
Old 29th January 2018
Quote:
If I could d I y what are all the pieces I need and do you have to build. Frame around the foam? If itโ€™s going to be more than 700$ I can just get 9 g I k panels for that so I might just go with them
also, I can't reiterate this enough... Foam, no matter what kind, is not dense enough to absorb sound below about 4KHz... the human voice makes sound from about 150Hz up to 4KHz, with some sounds going as low as 100Hz and transients/plosives going as high as 7 or 8KHz.

Foam can work for cymbals in a drum room. But it really isn't going to do anything for vocals. You need to get OC703 semi rigid fiberglass or Roxul Rockwool. Both absorb pretty much 100% of the sound that hits it so long as the panels are 2 inches thick or thicker.

you can get a box of six 4ft x 2ft by 2inch thick panels of OC703 for about $70 USD here in the US. Not sure how much it is where you are. In some areas Roxul Rockwool is cheaper, in other areas Owens Corning 703 is cheaper. Looking online right now I see Roxul Rockboard 40 for $50 USD for a box of six 4ft x 2ft x 2inch panels. So you can get 12 panels for $100 USD. Then you just need to buy fabric.

I use ReadyAcoustic panels myself...

DIY Bass Traps - kits & Acoustic Panels: Ready Acoustics

I've had no problems with them but the last few people I recommended to them have run into problems with them because of back order delays. It took a LONG time and lots of calling and emailing to finally get the panels.

But the reason I bring up Ready Acoustics is because instead of using Guilford Of Maine fabric which is crazy expensive. They use micro suede which is available everywhere and is fairly cheap (compared to Guilford!!!) and looks really nice. the one thing you want to do when getting the microsuede (if you decide to do that) is make sure you get a looser knit one. Some micro suedes are very tightly woven and almost feel like velvet while others are loose and feel like a blanket. Get the loose/soft kind. You should be able to blow air through it fairly easily. If it's really hard to blow air through it, then it isn't going to be good for acoustic purposes.

Or, the cheapest route is to just get burlap fabric. Burlap fabric is usually the preference for acoustics because it is a loose weave and air can move through it easily.

Anyway... you will probably need about 150 yards of 56" wide fabric. Burlap is usually around $2 USD per yard. Micro suede I've seen as cheap as $3 or $4 per yard and as much as $14 or $15 per yard for the really tighter woven stuff (that isn't good for acoustics anyway). Try going to your local thrift or fabric stores and see what they have and what the prices are.

If you get burlap you can make 12 panels for $400.

one other suggestion about the fabric covering... if you are going to sew it together and then slide the panels into the fabric... make sure to use a "double" stitching for strength and save the cardboard boxes the panels come in... cut 2 of the sides of the boxes so they are the exact same size as a panel (4ft x 2ft). And then put the two cardboard pieces on the front and back of the fiberboard panel as you slide it into the fabric. It will slide in really easily and once the fiber board is in there, you slide the cardboard out and move on to the next panel.

hanging the panels is up to you... with my Ready Acoustic panels, I do not have the metal frames that they use now. Mine have no frames and just a couple fabric handles sewn into the back for hanging in different positions.

The panels are stiff enough to keep their shape inside the fabric bag so long as you aren't dropping them and kicking/punching them. LOL

But if you want a frame you can try to build frames out of wood, but gets more expensive and more time consuming. The easiest thing is to just get the panels, get the fabric, make a pattern to cut the front and back fabric pieces out of the big long 150 yard ream you get. sewn them together (make sure you sewn them with the outside of the fabric facing in... then after you sewn them and trim off the excess you flip it inside out and then slide the fiber board panel in and you are done.

It will cost you $400 and a couple days of doing it yourself. Or you can buy them ready made for $1200~$1500.
Old 29th January 2018
Is this what I want? If not can you provide a link of what I do want? Also, I just noticed those Chameleon C2 from that ready acoustics and was curious for $150 how many panels do you get?

Shop ROCKWOOL Comfortboard 80 R-6 48-sq ft Unfaced Rock Wool Batt Insulation with with Sound Barrier (24-in W x 48-in L) at Lowes.com
Old 29th January 2018
I sing in closet to try and hide my singing from my parents and etc. I'm unsure of what I'm singing half the time and I am so paranoid about if they can hear me or not singing.
Old 29th January 2018
Quote:
Is this what I want? If not can you provide a link of what I do want? Also, I just noticed those Chameleon C2 from that ready acoustics and was curious for $150 how many panels do you get?

Shop ROCKWOOL Comfortboard 80 R-6 48-sq ft Unfaced Rock Wool Batt Insulation with with Sound Barrier (24-in W x 48-in L) at Lowes.com
This is the stuff you want to get if you can....

ROXUL MINERAL WOOL ROCKBOARD 40 or Rockwool inulation - Acoustimac
With Roxul... the number indicates density... 80 is really good for bass traps but isn't as effective at mid and high frequencies. 40 is the best all-around overall it's dense enough to absorb bass but not so dense that it can't absorb high frequency sound.
Old 29th January 2018
I have no intention of doing bass traps I just want one product I can keep track of so that last one you posted will do? Also Iโ€™d need like 4 boxes if Iโ€™m doubling to make 4 inchesbcorrect?
Old 29th January 2018
Quote:
I have no intention of doing bass traps I just want one product I can keep track of so that last one you posted will do? Also Iโ€™d need like 4 boxes if Iโ€™m doubling to make 4 inchesbcorrect?
yes, but look around, they do make 4" thick Rockboard 40 I believe. Either that or they make 2", 3" and 6" thicknesses... Owens Corning 703 comes in 1", 2" and 4" thicknesses.

It's cheaper to just buy a thicker panel if you can than to try and buy double the amount of the thinner panels.

I see from this PDF it looks like you can get it in 2", 2.5", 3" and 4" thicknesses.

www.buildsite.com/pdf/roxul/ROCKBOARD-40-Summary-Brochure-1547582.pdf

But if you can't find it thicker, then just get 24 panels and double them up. actually... since you only need 8 panels you could get 3 boxes of 6, which will give you 18 2" panels or 9 4" panels if you double them up. So go for 3 boxes and you should be good to go with an extra panel to spare! :-) Unless you really want 12 panels then go for 4 boxes.
Old 29th January 2018
By the time I buy wood for frames and all is said and done with fabric...will I really be saving money compared to g I k
Old 29th January 2018
So this is what I want right? 3-6 boxes and they sell frames? OWENS CORNING 703 - Acoustimac
Old 29th January 2018
Quote:
So this is what I want right? 3-6 boxes and they sell frames? OWENS CORNING 703 - Acoustimac
yup.

if you've never worked with fiberglass insulation before, just make sure you have some gloves on and maybe one of those safety masks...

Shop 3M 20-Pack Disposable Sanding and Fiberglass Safety Mask at Lowes.com

Some people aren't bothered by it, but others can get itchy and start sneezing and stuff when working with it. Once you get it in to the fabric then the fiberglass fibers won't come out anymore and you don't have to worry about the mask or gloves.

Just noticed they have a DIY kit with the 4" thick panels for $65 (with OC703 and suede)...

Acoustimac DIY424 Bass Trap Kit

I would go for that... it's easy, they already made the frame and cut the material and everything for you. One thing I would suggest against is the wood backing. It doesn't make a difference if you are mounting them to the wall but if you ever need to make any of them free standing in the middle of the room the wood backing makes them less effective.

But that is just my suggestion.

I'm going to have to bookmark this site...they have some pretty cool acoustic material options and kits up there.
Old 29th January 2018
Can I attach a wire like GIK and hang it?
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
just make sure you have some gloves on and maybe one of those safety masks....
Israeli Military Spec Gas Mask NBC 40mm Full Face Emergency Preparedness Respirator - Made in 2017 (150 - Med/Lrg Gas Mask): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Old 29th January 2018
Hell yeah Ill look like a gangster with that. So I don't know about you but this is getting close to GIK pricing so I'm unsure.
Attached Thumbnails
Acoustic Treatment-panels.png  
Old 29th January 2018
Quote:
Can I attach a wire like GIK and hang it?
if you do the wood frame I think you can.

I would prefer that too. I don't really like the Z clips or the other clips they sell. I've had to deal with them in the past and they are a pain in the but to install and use...the biggest problem is you really have to use a lazer level to get the clips screwed into the wall otherwise the panels will always be slanted.

So yeah, go for some picture wire. You will either have to screw two little eye hooks into wood frame so you can attach the picture hanger wire or drill little holes through the frame and tie the wire through it. but yeah, picture wire is usually the best way to go.
Old 29th January 2018
Quote:
Hell yeah Ill look like a gangster with that. So I don't know about you but this is getting close to GIK pricing so I'm unsure.
well if it's close enough to you and you don't want to have to bother with building them yourself then definitely by them pre-made...It's always better to have someone else do it who has been doing it day in and day out for years than to do it yourself... but if it's too expensive to have someone else build them then DIY is an option.
Old 29th January 2018
See this already gives me the 9 GIK I used to have - no tri traps. look at the price and you can tell the minor difference would be worth just having GIK do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Acoustic Treatment-panels.jpg  
Old 29th January 2018
Holy cow. for 6 panels from gik plus shipping, it comes out to 480$ I want 12 panels now and not 9. That is so expensive. I really was going to go with GIK but now I'm frustrated. That's gonna hurt my wallet.
Old 29th January 2018
My room

Where my old GIK use to hang
Attached Thumbnails
Acoustic Treatment-4ecde59f-b435-43f6-a5ae-a46eb142a161.jpg   Acoustic Treatment-fe4d9f2a-1c55-48bb-91b8-583f180958ab.jpg   Acoustic Treatment-0aea5ea8-e221-4251-8e62-ab1ebfb8a380.jpg   Acoustic Treatment-0405848f-8556-4205-b4bc-21b62659ec36.jpg   Acoustic Treatment-260fff7f-79aa-45ff-b278-721690f6d08b.jpg  

Acoustic Treatment-90363ae7-3d9f-4c74-92e8-10594cfcc24e.jpg   Acoustic Treatment-bc65beec-a4bb-4685-95e3-a09b88a907dc.jpg  
Old 29th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
This box is $78. When you buy insulation from an "Acoustics" place you will probably pay more.

but 703 is just insulation. The vast bulk of it is used in building houses, not making recording studio panels. Acoustics places are largely reselling the extra they have for their own panels. It is primarily an industrial product, meaning you probably won't even find it at you local Home Depot or Lowe's type store. The same 3 panels of the same 4" 703 from an "Insulation" company costs $63:

Buy Insulation Products .com
and I bet if you found a brick-and-mortar commercial insulation materials supplier in your area, you could get it even cheaper, though there might be a minimum order.

As for frames, your panels will actually work a little better without frames. They just wont look as nice because they will inevitably bag and sag. I use the commercial panels in the main rooms where I work with clients. But in my 'drum cave' where I just wanted to deaden the space, I stapled or glued the wrapped panels to the walls and ceiling. It looks "eh", but who cares, nobody sees it but me.

Quote:
if you've never worked with fiberglass insulation before, just make sure you have some gloves on and maybe one of those safety masks...

I did not wear a mask, but I did wear the gloves and goggles. Important not to rub your eyes! But actually I found building panels with the 703 to be a lot less 'itchy' than when I was insulating the attic with the much more common 'fluffy' stuff.

I also found that an electric turkey knife works really well if you need to cut the stuff. Nice clean line with very little 'dust' coming off of it. A hot glue gun from a hobby store was perfect for sealing the fabric wrapping.
Old 29th January 2018
Wow I was getting ready to place my order until I saw a shipping cost of 200$ are they out of their minds?
Old 29th January 2018
Quote:
Wow I was getting ready to place my order until I saw a shipping cost of 200$ are they out of their minds?
The fiberglass is pretty dense. A box of 6 2โ€ panels weighs over 60 or 70 lbs if I remember correctly. 3 4โ€ panels should weight about the same
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
there is probably an industrial insulation supply place in a city as big as Seattle. Ask around, call some lumber yards. Not 'home stores' but places where builders and contractors get their materials. They may not even carry it at the lumber yard, but they know who would. Every time someone builds a house or a garage or an office building they are using this stuff.

Pick it up yourself.
Old 30th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
there is probably an industrial insulation supply place in a city as big as Seattle. Ask around, call some lumber yards. Not 'home stores' but places where builders and contractors get their materials. They may not even carry it at the lumber yard, but they know who would. Every time someone builds a house or a garage or an office building they are using this stuff.

Pick it up yourself.
the problem with that (I have looked into it, my father was a licensed contractor for over 40 years), they buy in bulk and expect you to do the same. when I've contacted building material suppliers that my dad recommended to me, and they asked me how many and I said 12... they said, well we don't really start giving a discount until you hit 20... come to find out I was talking about single panels he was talking about BOXES of panels!!! lol. To insulate a roof for example, you usually need around 200 to 300 PANELS (1600 to 2400 sq ft) or more... which comes out to around 34 to 50 BOXES of OC703 2".

I'm not discouraging the OP from trying. He may find one that has some overstock and is happy to get rid of it at a discount, even if it's just 3 boxes. But even for builders the OC703/705 and Rockboard 40/60/80 are usually special requests. Most houses use R19 or R30 fiberglass insulation batting (rolls of soft fluffy insulation). The Semi Rigid Fiberglass panels are for the more expensive homes and more expansive insulation jobs or special needs insulation jobs around certain duct work or whatever.. Most regular houses do not use them. When I was in college I worked for my dad building houses and office buildings and I never once used or saw us using any semi rigid fiberglass panels. When I started to get into acoustics my dad told me about them and said that he uses them but they aren't standard.

Anyway... YMMV. Just giving the OP a heads up to make sure he specifies 3 BOXES and see what price they can give him. Like I said, hopefully they will have some overstock and can sell it cheap. But in the past when I've called they usually only deal with that stuff in bulk orders.
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
t

Anyway... YMMV. Just giving the OP a heads up to make sure he specifies 3 BOXES and see what price they can give him. Like I said, hopefully they will have some overstock and can sell it cheap. But in the past when I've called they usually only deal with that stuff in bulk orders.
a possible alternative strategy is that maybe they (or someone) could put him directly in touch with the roofers themselves, who might very well have a box or two left over.
Old 9th April 2018
Here for the gear

For best acoustictreatment, visit here: acoustic treatment. The panel has been designed and tested in acoustics laboratory, so the sound absorption curves for each panel thickness are very predictable. The result is a series of products that can improve the acoustic performance of any public space.
๐Ÿ“ Reply