The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rigid Acoustic Board in the UK?
Old 1st March 2017
Gear Maniac

Hi All-

I have extensively searched around GS as well as looking around and I cannot find the answer to this anywhere clearly:

Is there a rigid board acoustic product similar to OC705, suitable for making frameless ceiling clouds, available in the UK? Or failing that elsewhere in the EU?

I have been using RS60 for a while on DIY panels with frames but it is both (1) floppy and (2) does not hold together well without a frame. Having recently moved rooms, I am looking to make frameless clouds with integral lighting.

I would love to get a definitive answer on this.

-Rens
Old 3rd March 2017
Gear Maniac

The silence is similar to that I would expect trapped in a 2m thick cube of ecose

Anyone? Is there no such product in the UK? It beggars belief.

Last edited by Rtroost; 3rd March 2017 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: Cube, damnit.
Old 9th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Thought I'd bump this in case any of you UK based rigid board savants have cropped up since last month. Surely there must be a rigid board acoustic product similar to OC705, suitable for making frameless ceiling clouds, available in the UK? Or failing that elsewhere in the EU?
Old 12th April 2017
Lives for gear

If the acoustic performance of the panels is more important than the simplicity of construction, I would urge you to find a wool with a more appropriate flow resistivity.
Old 12th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the reply Jens! "More rsistivity" than what ... apparently there is no rigid product on the continent of europe that anyone cares to mention!!

I have used RS60 in my other tretment but im looking formsomething that i can use light and frameless for ceiling clouds. Im beginning to think the answer is a 30mm layer of regular foam for stuffness with 100mm of rs60 glued to it, but plenty of people in the us seem happy with fabric wrapped oc705.
Old 12th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtroost View Post
Thanks for the reply Jens! "More rsistivity" than what ... a
Thats not what I said. I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
I would urge you to find a wool with a more appropriate flow resistivity.
And unless your building very thin absorbers (that hopefully no one would recommend), that means a lower GFR than 705. If you haven’t found it already: Porous Absorber Calculator
Old 12th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Okay thank you. And yet I am still in the dark as to whether such a product exists in Europe. I guess this is the wrong forum for the question.
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear

Rockwool (the brand) has a good selection of wool suitable for acoustic treatment. Unfortunately; they use different names for different countries and products.
Old 13th April 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi All-

I have extensively searched around GS as well as looking around and I cannot find the answer to this anywhere clearly:

Is there a rigid board acoustic product similar to OC705, suitable for making frameless ceiling clouds, available in the UK? Or failing that elsewhere in the EU?
This page might be of interest:

Yes, but I have read that higher density acoustic insulation (like OC705) is better for low-end absorption. Ready Acoustics!
Old 13th April 2017
qwe
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
Rockwool (the brand) has a good selection of wool suitable for acoustic treatment. Unfortunately; they use different names for different countries and products.
Acoustic Insulation | Insulation | Insulation Express
Old 14th April 2017
Gear Maniac

All you recent posters-

I appreciate the recent posts in the spirit of help in which they are offered, but they do not actually answer the very focused question that I posted: is there a rigid board product similar to oc705 available in the UK.

I have used many of the semi-rigid and low density products available in that Insulation express catalogue (thanks for posting it though, Jens) but I dont see a rigid board product. I am not looking for the best possible absorption, I make bass traps and the like out of RS60 or 45 generally, but I _am_ looking for a rigidn product like OC705 for frameless clouds.

I guess the correct GS answer would be buy all of the products?

Rens
Old 16th July 2019
Here for the gear

Hello all,

I know that this thread is very old and it may already have been answered.
There is a U.K. firm but I have never dealt with them, yet.

Owens Corning Veil UK Ltd Hare Park Ln, Liversedge WF15 8EH

https://www.owenscorning.com/

Please don’t beat me up if I’m wrong ?
Just trying to be helpful.

Quote:
Hi All-

I have been using RS60 for a while on DIY panels with frames but it is both (1) floppy and (2) does not hold together well without a frame. Having recently moved rooms, I am looking to make frameless clouds with integral lighting.

I would love to get a definitive answer on this.

-Rens

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search