The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The right way to connect digi 002 to new imac via Thunderbolt port
Old 16th August 2014
Here for the gear

The right way to connect digi 002 to new imac via Thunderbolt port

I don't know how many of you still have the Digidesign 002 interface, but after days and days of calls to tech support for Apple and Avid, I finally figured out how to get it to work with Pro Tools 11 in the 2013-2014 iMacs. Thought I would share in case someone else had trouble.
When I first searched online for whether or not it was possible to use the digi 002 with the new Thunderbolt imacs, I read "it should work. Just use a firewire 400 to 800 cable coming out of the 002, connect the 800 end into the Thunderbolt/FW adapter, and into the imac." So i installed the latest driver for the 002 on my new imac, connected the 002 via the FW400/800 cable to the thunderbolt adapter and into the imac and.....nothing! The 002 wouldn't show up in the Audio Manager application. So i assumed that i installed the wrong driver. I went back to the Avid site and installed every 002 driver, one at a time, and it still didn't work. Eventually i installed the wrong AVID driver completely which crashed the Audio Manager application on the imac. I couldn't even open it anymore. Also, when i tried to open up a pro tools session, it would freeze on "initializing midi...." for about 5 minutes. If that is happening to anyone else, you probably have installed a driver that you shouldn't have. Delete it and your pro tools should open up again without hesitation.
So after a while i figured out it was the cable. I returned it, bought another brand and the 002 still wouldn't interface with the imac. The firewire 400 to 800 cables i used were Pearstone brand from bhphotovideo and Insignia from Best Buy. The solution? Don't use that kind of cable. Instead, keep your original fireweire 400 cable and simply attach an 800 adapter to one end of it. I bought the Elago firewire 400 to 800 adapter for $10. After hours on the phone with Apple and Avid(neither of which had a clue what could be the cause of the problem), that $10 adapter was the key. Now my imac recognizes the digi 002 and it works perfectly with Pro Tools 11. I'm even able to use the command 8. The only thing you can't do is open up "hardware manager" directly within pro tools. You have to open it from "system preferences" on your imac. I hope this helped someone. So in summary: firewire 400 cable coming out of the 002-->attach the Elago adapter to the other end of the cable-->that goes into the Apple Thunderbolt/Firewire adapter-->into the thunderbolt port.
I'm curious whether anyone has successfully connected the digidesign 002 and imac via thunderbolt port using the FW400/800 cable. If so, what brand? I can tell you that Pearstone and Insignia won't work. Maybe Belkin cables, which are sold on the Apple store, work for this case.
Old 16th August 2014
Lives for gear

Sorry you had to go through all that, but I'm glad it's working.

I'm wondering if there's something different about the implementation of firewire in the 002, being that it's so old. I don't recall this being an issue for those using the 003, or other firewire interfaces like the Focusrite Saffires, etc.
Old 6th September 2014
Here for the gear
is their a way you can upload a video, i have the same issue. it works on my older mac with a 600-600 cable but when i tried the 800 to thunderbolt with a 600-800 cable it showed nothing. i just want to make sure it works before i end up spending more money. or even screen shots!
Old 29th October 2014
Here for the gear

Well, I am in a similar situation, trying to use my 002 with PT 11.0.1 on my new Mac mini (i7/2.6 ghz/OSX 10.9.4/) I have loaded the latest drivers, it is recognized in Mac preferences, shows up as "Avid 002" in PT, but will not show up as an output in a session. I'm a little frustrated....I read a post somewhere about disabling Core Audio, but the description of where to find the driver in my Library was vague. Anybody able to solve this problem? I limped through my last marathon session on my old G5 dual, but it's really a boat anchor at this point. Thanks in advance for any help, or even any sympathy.
Old 14th January 2015
Here for the gear

Just wanted to say thanks for this post. I have been pulling my hair out for the past couple weeks trying to get this to work, even went through the same initial cables as OP. After ordering the $10 adapter (Amazon has them btw), I was able to get the 002 Console up and running on my MBP with PT11.

Only thing I would add is that after a couple weeks of playing around with the settings in PT trying to get this to work, when I finally used the correct adapter I still had my playback engine set to the PT Aggregate IO. As soon as I changed it to the Avid 002 everything worked as expected.

Thanks again, this saved me from having to upgrade to a Control, Mix, and Eleven Rack to get the same functionality I have in my 002.
Old 27th February 2015
Here for the gear
Thumbs up Digi 002 with Logic Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJerry View Post
I don't know how many of you still have the Digidesign 002 interface, but after days and days of calls to tech support for Apple and Avid, I finally figured out how to get it to work with Pro Tools 11 in the 2013-2014 iMacs. Thought I would share in case someone else had trouble.
When I first searched online for whether or not it was possible to use the digi 002 with the new Thunderbolt imacs, I read "it should work. Just use a firewire 400 to 800 cable coming out of the 002, connect the 800 end into the Thunderbolt/FW adapter, and into the imac." So i installed the latest driver for the 002 on my new imac, connected the 002 via the FW400/800 cable to the thunderbolt adapter and into the imac and.....nothing! The 002 wouldn't show up in the Audio Manager application. So i assumed that i installed the wrong driver. I went back to the Avid site and installed every 002 driver, one at a time, and it still didn't work. Eventually i installed the wrong AVID driver completely which crashed the Audio Manager application on the imac. I couldn't even open it anymore. Also, when i tried to open up a pro tools session, it would freeze on "initializing midi...." for about 5 minutes. If that is happening to anyone else, you probably have installed a driver that you shouldn't have. Delete it and your pro tools should open up again without hesitation.
So after a while i figured out it was the cable. I returned it, bought another brand and the 002 still wouldn't interface with the imac. The firewire 400 to 800 cables i used were Pearstone brand from bhphotovideo and Insignia from Best Buy. The solution? Don't use that kind of cable. Instead, keep your original fireweire 400 cable and simply attach an 800 adapter to one end of it. I bought the Elago firewire 400 to 800 adapter for $10. After hours on the phone with Apple and Avid(neither of which had a clue what could be the cause of the problem), that $10 adapter was the key. Now my imac recognizes the digi 002 and it works perfectly with Pro Tools 11. I'm even able to use the command 8. The only thing you can't do is open up "hardware manager" directly within pro tools. You have to open it from "system preferences" on your imac. I hope this helped someone. So in summary: firewire 400 cable coming out of the 002-->attach the Elago adapter to the other end of the cable-->that goes into the Apple Thunderbolt/Firewire adapter-->into the thunderbolt port.
I'm curious whether anyone has successfully connected the digidesign 002 and imac via thunderbolt port using the FW400/800 cable. If so, what brand? I can tell you that Pearstone and Insignia won't work. Maybe Belkin cables, which are sold on the Apple store, work for this case.
Logic Pro X - iMac 3.9 Ghtz -Fusion Drive 16 Gig Ram / Digi 002 - Mackie 32/8/2 (linked) Digi 002. Nectar Panorama P6 ( f/w 400 with adapter direct into T Bolt.

Ive gave up PTools long ago and went with Logic Pro X, I don't get the midi based faders but do interface well 48/96-24 bit. Im linked to Logic Remote ( iPad) awesome midi fader control and just recently linked up Nectar latest Panorama P6 Controller. Its a good move going with Nektar. 8 Midi/ Audio Faders / Full Plug in control.
Old 7th March 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJerry View Post
Hi,

Looks like I'm having the same issue as you were having here, I'm going to try the Belkin 800/400 with my thunderbolt adapter and ill report back if it works/doesn't work.
I got an Akord 800/400 adapter from the thunderbolt to FW800 which seems to be the problem in my case. I have no link light at all with this setup even after installing all the drivers as you did
Old 8th March 2015
Here for the gear

Ok so just to clarify for anyone who still hasn't been able to get their 002 rig working with PT 11,

My setup which now works perfect
PT 11
iMAC Running Yosemite
Thunderbolt to FW 800 Adapter
Belkin FW800 TO FW400 Cable will work and also Maplin Firewire 800 to 400 cable will also work as long as it is 1934a and 1934b compliant anything else will not work.

Hope this helps anyone who is also in this situation
Old 17th March 2015
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=GUY7ON;10877477]Ok so just to clarify for anyone who still hasn't been able to get their 002 rig working with PT 11,

My setup which now works perfect
PT 11
iMAC Running Yosemite
Thunderbolt to FW 800 Adapter
Belkin FW800 TO FW400 Cable will work and also Maplin Firewire 800 to 400 cable will also work as long as it is 1934a and 1934b compliant anything else will not work.

GUY7ON, Did you have to remove the Avid CoreAudio drivers?

Thanks,
Richard.
Old 31st March 2015
Gear Maniac

I haven't been as lucky getting my 002r to be recognized. I have the original 002r firewire>Elago 400 to 800 adapter>Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter>iMac 5k. It doesn't show in Audio/Midi Setup or any other application.

UPDATE: After reinstalling the drivers I am able to use the 002r. I must have uninstalled the drivers somewhere along the way.

PT 11, 002r > stock Digi FW 400 cable > Elago 400 to 800 FW adapter > Apple Thunderbolt to FW adapter > iMac 5k Yosemite

Last edited by groove guru; 1st April 2015 at 04:40 AM.. Reason: progress
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Hi. It's now May 2015 and I have a question about which driver is the correct one to solve this issue. I was going to this page and I'm not sure which one to pick. Digi 002 and 003 Drivers

I have a Digi002 rack with an old BLA mod and a late 2013 MBPro. Using Yosemite
So far, with the driver I tried first (10.3.3 (9.0r3)) I can see it in the setup but it says it has no ins or outs and can't be used.
Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Bring it back, bring it back... I'm sure my brother and I are some of the last trying to use a 002 Rack. It's BLA modded at least.

I updated my set up and donated my 002 Rack to my brother. He needs something to hold him off for a few months until he can replace it. Despite everyone getting this to work, he's not able to. He's getting a message when opening the driver (11.1.5) saying the 002 is not supported. Of course not, but I'm not seeing anyone else refer to this message.

He's using the FW 400->800 cable (Startech, but 1394a/b standard) I used. Seeing folks have success with adapters gives me hope except that his initial problem/error message seems unique.

He's on a 2012ish MBP running either Sierra or High Sierra & Logic Pro X. I can't seem to find the forum, but I've seen at least one post with folks with similar set ups having success.

Any suggestions other than trying it with an adapter? Maybe there's an order things need to be opened / turned on?

Thanks
Old 25th July 2018
Here for the gear

My problem is similar. I'm beginning to think the root of the problem for me is High Sierra's restrictions on running 3rd party kernel extensions.

I am trying to get my trusted old Digi 002 Rack to work with my new iMac Pro. My 2011 Mac Pro died a few days ago. Rather than fight to keep it alive (ain't got time for that) I bought a new iMac Pro.
I migrated the user account over from the dead Mac.
I have this absurd looking chain of adapters from the Digi Rack to the thunderbolt port. This is an Apple Store approved way to connect firewire peripherals to new macs. (I tested this with a firewire 400 external hard drive. It works with the HD. However, when connected to the Digi Rack, System Information can see that there is a device attached, but it doesn't know what to do with it.)

The audio side of my screen capture software stopped working which lead me to believe that the reason both it and the Digi hardware were not working is related to kext files not loading.
See this article here:
iShowU Audio Capture not showing up – shinywhitebox help

The kext files ARE in the Extensions folder like they should be, but High Sierra is ignoring them at this point.

That's where I am on this now. I'll report back if I get this nut cracked.
Old 10th August 2018
Here for the gear

Digi Family kext issue resolved

Turns out my intuition was correct, my Digi 002 Rack was not working and it was just a driver issue. (Technically, a kernel extension issue.)

The very short summary of how to fix this:
  • Run the Digi Uninstaller. (It comes bundled with the installer.)
  • Then run the installer again.
  • Restart your Mac.
  • Go to System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> General.
  • There should be a warning there about some files not loading with an "Allow" button.
  • Click Allow.
The behavior at this point may differ on your system depending on the version of macOS you are running, the hardware you own, and the other drivers/kexts in your extensions folder. But it should be pretty self explainatory.

Here's the more detailed version of what I did:

I am on an iMacPro which I bought new at the end of July 2018, it is running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6. Depending on how old your computer is or when you are reading this my experience may not apply to you.

In the current version of macOS, Apple has set it up to be more resistant to hacks and malware. If you install software that requires a kernel extension (kext) you will be presented with a warning and then you will have to go to System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> General and manually confirm that you allow the installer to put the kext into the Extensions folder.
That folder is located at HD-> Library-> Extensions
There is another Extensions folder at HD -> System -> Library -> Extensions
The first location is the preferred place for third party kexts. The System one is supposed to be for Apple. Avid installs a kext in both places for some reason.

You may be thinking back to the old days when all you had to do was trash a preferences file, and the OS would rebuild things and your problems would be solved. I wouldn't muck around in these folders that way. Use the developer provided uninstaller.
There is an invisible database file that keeps track of which kexts are "white listed" to load on start up.

If you updated your version of macOS to High Sierra, all the kexts should be grandfathered in and you shouldn't have to manually verify that you allow them to be loaded.
What ended up happening in my case was I bought a NEW machine and transferred over the user account (using Migration Assistant.) I have seen differing explanations of how apple stores the white list of approved kexts, but some of Apple's own documentation suggests is is stored in NVRAM or PRAM. Apparently transferring over a user account does not transfer the NVRAM.

According to Apple's own info on it, resetting the PRAM or NVRAM is supposed to flush the white list for kext files. Approved extensions are supposedly stored in PRAM (or whatever they call it now.)
I thought this might be the solution since my problems started when I transferred over to new hardware. Supposedly flushing the PRAM will bring up all the "allow" prompts in the Security panel of System Preferences. That didn't work for me. I have no way of knowing if my key command was even acknowledged.
The PRAM info might be out of date. But it might be worth a shot for those who don't want to try uninstalling and reinstalling drivers.
Here's a simple thing you can try as a trouble shooting measure, launch the Terminal app. Copy and Paste this command into the Terminal window and hit enter.
Code:
kextstat | grep -v com.apple
If you're squeamish about the Terminal, don't worry. All this command does is give you a list of all the running kexts, minus the ones with com.apple in them. So in other words, it shows only third party kexts.

ANYway, here's what I did specifically. It fixed my problem. Maybe it will give you ideas on your problem.
I noticed the missing audio functionality when I tried to use my screen capture software -- iShowU.
After talking with the developer, I ran the iShowU Audio Capture uninstaller script. Then I ran the installer again. Restarted my iMac.
Then, callooh! callay! I got the prompt from Security and Privacy. And here's the best part, not only did it give me the iShowU driver/kext as a choice in the "allow" list, but also a bunch of other kexts that had not been loading including the Avid Family kext for my Digi 002 Rack.
Something about the process of either the uninstall or the install must have reset something in an Apple file that made the system go through all the extensions.

Maybe that will help someone.

PS Here is a link to a very long post I wrote up about removing all the Avid and Digi garbage from your mac. It might be helpful for people running older systems.
Need to delete/uninstall all traces of Av… - Apple Community
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky3000 View Post
The very short summary of how to fix this:
  • Run the Digi Uninstaller. (It comes bundled with the installer.)
  • Then run the installer again.
  • Restart your Mac.
  • Go to System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> General.
  • There should be a warning there about some files not loading with an "Allow" button.
  • Click Allow.
Can you clarify some things?

Uninstall the 002 driver? Pro Tools? I did a search and couldn't find anything. Can you link the uninstaller you're referring to?
If it is the Pro Tools software, I doubt he's ever had Pro Tools installed in this CPU though.

Can you list the adapters you use? Not sure if this is our issue. The CPU "sees" the 002 enough to tell us it's incompatible, so I assume the connection is working.

But it doesn't sound like we got as far as you. We get a incompatibility message when opening the driver. Did you get this at any point? If so, how did you get past it?
Old 20th August 2018
Here for the gear

More info

No, I never saw an error message like the one you describe.
What is throwing up the error message? Logic? macOS?

The MBP that your brother is using appears to have a FireWire 800 in Port. So he should be able to just go into that. The adapters I have to use to get it to work with my iMac Pro are, FireWire 400 to 800, then FireWire 800 to thunderbolt 2, then thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3. From there it goes into the back of my computer.

I don’t know where I got my installer/uninstaller. I keep all of the installers that I use just in case I need to reinstall something, or use the UnInstaller that the developer may or may not have included. Avid/Digidesign are not very good at the uninstalling part. Especially when it comes to uninstalling the ProTools software.
But if your brother never installed that software, you’re good. (Be thankful you don’t have to uninstall ProTools. It’s an absolute nightmare.)

Did he install the driver for the Digi Rack? They call it the Avid Family-something or other now. If it isn’t working, it might just be that he doesn’t have the right one for High Sierra. I don’t think Avid is updating the drivers for this hardware past Yosemite, but we’ve gotten lucky in that the Yosemite driver (kext) still works on the High Sierra.
If he installed an old driver, that could be part of the problem. He will need to uninstall that first.

The above is a round about way of saying, basically, LMGTFY. I don’t have a direct link to the driver that worked for me. Sorry.
But you could try searching for the file name of the .dmg that I have here which is, 003_Family_Driver_11_1_3_Mac_83630

Like I said, the trick that worked for me was uninstalling and reinstalling the kernel extension (kext). That might not even be your brother’s problem. But if it is, he will get the “allow” button in Security and Privacy under System Preferences. The allow process has a time limit on it, so after the install (or REinstall) of the driver, you restart and then immediately click allow.

Hope some of that helps
Old 21st August 2018
Lives for gear

Do make sure you use the correct driver. There are separate ones for the Console and Rack versions. There are also Standalone drivers available when not using Pro Tools at all. This is a link to all the currently available drivers. Digi 002 and 003 Drivers
Old 22nd August 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks for the follow up!

Quote:
No, I never saw an error message like the one you describe.
What is throwing up the error message? Logic? macOS?

The MBP that your brother is using appears to have a FireWire 800 in Port. So he should be able to just go into that. The adapters I have to use to get it to work with my iMac Pro are, FireWire 400 to 800, then FireWire 800 to thunderbolt 2, then thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3. From there it goes into the back of my computer.

I don’t know where I got my installer/uninstaller. I keep all of the installers that I use just in case I need to reinstall something, or use the UnInstaller that the developer may or may not have included. Avid/Digidesign are not very good at the uninstalling part. Especially when it comes to uninstalling the ProTools software.
But if your brother never installed that software, you’re good. (Be thankful you don’t have to uninstall ProTools. It’s an absolute nightmare.)

Did he install the driver for the Digi Rack? They call it the Avid Family-something or other now. If it isn’t working, it might just be that he doesn’t have the right one for High Sierra. I don’t think Avid is updating the drivers for this hardware past Yosemite, but we’ve gotten lucky in that the Yosemite driver (kext) still works on the High Sierra.
If he installed an old driver, that could be part of the problem. He will need to uninstall that first.

The above is a round about way of saying, basically, LMGTFY. I don’t have a direct link to the driver that worked for me. Sorry.
But you could try searching for the file name of the .dmg that I have here which is, 003_Family_Driver_11_1_3_Mac_83630

Like I said, the trick that worked for me was uninstalling and reinstalling the kernel extension (kext). That might not even be your brother’s problem. But if it is, he will get the “allow” button in Security and Privacy under System Preferences. The allow process has a time limit on it, so after the install (or REinstall) of the driver, you restart and then immediately click allow.

Hope some of that helps
I was on the phone with him and didn't think to ask. He tried both, but are you opening the driver before or after opening the session? I assumed it was the driver itself since he got the message in both cases.

Yes, he has the firewire 400 out of 002 Rack, firewire 800 into MBP.

I'll have him uninstall & reinstall the driver.

He's never owned Pro Tools, so no problem there.

He downloaded 11.1.5 from the Avid Knowledge Base. Hmm, you used 11.1.3? I'll have him try that.

And we'll definitely look into the kext extension issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzomixer View Post
Do make sure you use the correct driver. There are separate ones for the Console and Rack versions. There are also Standalone drivers available when not using Pro Tools at all. This is a link to all the currently available drivers. Digi 002 and 003 Drivers
He downloaded 11.1.5. I can't confirm he download the rack version, but going to the site now, I only see this:

Quote:
11.1.5 October 26, 2016
Support for macOS Sierra 10.12
Also supports Mac OS X 10.8.5, 10.9.5, 10.10.5 and 10.11-10.11.6
Support for 003 Rack and Console
Digi 002 Console and Rack not supported (untested)
Tested with Avid-qualified Apple computers
download
No sign of Rack only version on that page that I can find. I'll search the net, but any chance you can direct me to a link?

And thank you both again for the follow up!
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

An update:

I'm pretty sure he has the wrong driver. He can now get the unit on within Logic and SEE signal from a MIDI instrument on a track. But that audio is not playing through the stereo/master output so there's no sound.

Searching the net, we saw a couple of posts talking about the stand alone driver but we have not been able to find it. With the behavior of the 002 Rack and Logic, I'm pretty sure he simply has the wrong driver. I feel like we're right there.

And to clarify, he should not only be using the stand alone version, but specifically for the rack? We couldn't find either. Wizzomixer, the link you provided is where we got the driver from, version 11.1.5. Every update says both console & rack, and none mention stand alone vs Pro Tools. Would you mind providing a little more direction?

Thanks again!
Old 24th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
I was on the phone with him and didn't think to ask. He tried both, but are you opening the driver before or after opening the session? I assumed it was the driver itself since he got the message in both cases.
That's not how it works on my system. I don't need to open the driver independently of Logic. I just launch Logic and the Digi 002 is available as an input and output choice under Preferences -> Audio...

Quote:
And to clarify, he should not only be using the stand alone version, but specifically for the rack? We couldn't find either. Wizzomixer, the link you provided is where we got the driver from, version 11.1.5. Every update says both console & rack, and none mention stand alone vs Pro Tools. Would you mind providing a little more direction?
The installers at the link Wizzomixer put up only install the stand alone driver for the Digi hardware. For example, if you downloaded the file called 003_Family_11.1.5.dmg it should contain Avid 003 Family Installer and an Uninstaller.
These will put kexts in HD -> System -> Library -> Extensions
It will probably put a copy of the same kext in HD -> Library -> Extensions
I'm not sure why it puts one in both locations.
I'm not using the 11.1.5 version. Things work with the 11.1.3 version, so I'm not going to tempt fate.

If your brother is seeing MIDI input, that means something is working right already. Did he go through the "allow" step I described above? Under System preferences?
I remember reading that most audio interfaces will offer some degree of input even without a driver. Maybe it's acting weird because he didn't do this step.

Also, has he tried the old stand by fix for all problems computer related? TOTO. Turn off, Turn on.
Sometimes these things get into a weird state and you need to shut down the whole system and restart to get everything to launch properly.

Here's another trouble shooting step. Does the Avid hardware show up under System Preferences -> Sound as an input/output choice?

And I hate to ask questions that might be insulting, but does he know how to use the software?
Maybe it is working, and he doesn't have the right inputs selected? Or the right audio settings in Logic?
Old 24th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
That's not how it works on my system. I don't need to open the driver independently of Logic. I just launch Logic and the Digi 002 is available as an input and output choice under Preferences -> Audio...

Quote:
The installers at the link Wizzomixer put up only install the stand alone driver for the Digi hardware. For example, if you downloaded the file called 003_Family_11.1.5.dmg it should contain Avid 003 Family Installer and an Uninstaller.
These will put kexts in HD -> System -> Library -> Extensions
I'm not using the 11.1.5 version. Things work with the 11.1.3 version, so I'm not going to tempt fate.

If your brother is seeing MIDI input, that means something is working right already. Did he go through the "allow" step I described above? Under System preferences?
I remember reading that most audio interfaces will offer some degree of input even without a driver. Maybe it's acting weird because he didn't do this step.

Also, has he tried the old stand by fix for all problems computer related? TOTO. Turn off, Turn on.
Sometimes these things get into a weird state and you need to shut down the whole system and restart to get everything to launch properly.

Here's another trouble shooting step. Does the Avid hardware show up under System Preferences -> Sound as an input/output choice?

And I hate to ask questions that might be insulting, but does he know how to use the software?
Maybe it is working, and he doesn't have the right inputs selected? Or the right audio settings in Logic?
Old 27th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
...These will put kexts in HD -> System -> Library -> Extensions
We uninstalled 11.1.5. We tried to install 11.1.3 since you had success with it, but it crashed each time we attempted to install. We then reinstalled 11.1.5. However, we never got a prompt for the permissions.

Quote:
We did not do this as I'm still unsure what needs to be done. We didn't get the prompt while installing. When we went into the preferences, I couldn't tell how to proceed. And the kext file is in neither location.

Can you provide a little more description for giving the permission? We went to: System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> General, but I didn't see any warning or prompt to allow there.

This is likely our problem.

Quote:
1st thing I had him do after the reinstall.

Quote:
Yes, 002 Rack shows up there and we've set up the in/output.

Quote:
He knows what he's doing, and I was there with him this last time. We actually plugged a synth up, audio only. We could only see the meter responding, and only on the input channel. Nothing happening on the Stereo Output or being heard via headphones.

A couple of things to make sure we're not missing a small step... should the 002 Rack be on or off when installing? Does it need to be on to get the prompt? Does Logic need to be running to get the prompt?
Old 6th September 2018
Here for the gear

Mysterious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
Can you provide a little more description for giving the permission? We went to: System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> General, but I didn't see any warning or prompt to allow there.
I guess, it's really as simple as I've described. After the kext is installed, the prompt to "allow" is pretty obvious.
It doesn't pop up as a system dialog box or anything. It's just some text with an "allow" button next to it in that system preferences panel.

Quote:
Yes, 002 Rack shows up there and we've set up the in/output.

We could only see the meter responding, and only on the input channel. Nothing happening on the Stereo Output or being heard via headphones.
This doesn't make any sense. (I'm not attacking you, I'm saying that the computer and software are doing things that don't make sense.)

If the rack shows up as an option in audio preferences, and you can set your input to the rack in Logic, then it sounds like the kext is installed. Why you are getting no output is a mystery.
No input monitoring in Logic either, I assume?
Have you tried routing to a bus then set an aux track to the bus? (Just to see if the signal goes ANYwhere inside Logic...)

Quote:
A couple of things to make sure we're not missing a small step... should the 002 Rack be on or off when installing? Does it need to be on to get the prompt? Does Logic need to be running to get the prompt?
I don't think it matters if the 002 is on or off, but in my case it was on and plugged in. I suspect Logic should NOT be running. But the worst that would happen is Logic might crash during the install.

It's also a mystery to me that you don't see the Avid kext in either of the Extensions folders, but the rack shows up as an input option.
All I can guess now is that there is something about your hardware (The mac Book) that is different from what I have here.

Sorry, but I'm out of ideas.
Good luck.
Old 6th September 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
We could only see the meter responding, and only on the input channel. Nothing happening on the Stereo Output or being heard via headphones.
Okay... maybe I'm not 100% out of ideas.
One thing that sometimes trips me up is that Logic obeys it's own rules for audio input and output. The settings under System Prefs -> Sound for input and output will only apply to audio the computer is making outside of Logic. So system sounds, audio in your web browser, games, movies...
You have to have the Logic Pro X -> Preferences -> Audio -> Devices set up right.
If you have the headphones plugged into the laptop and the audio is set up to output through the 002 Rack, you won't hear anything. Things like this can trip people up. Not sure if this is your issue or not.

If you're seeing levels on the input meter for a track but not the output... that's a big puzzle. I assume you tried to record on the input channel and got nothing?
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess, it's really as simple as I've described. After the kext is installed, the prompt to "allow" is pretty obvious.
It doesn't pop up as a system dialog box or anything. It's just some text with an "allow" button next to it in that system preferences panel.
I'll have him poke around one last time, but we had 4 eyes on this and couldn't find anything that even implied allowing permissions.

Going through some un/reinstallation of my own with MPC display driver just yesterday and seeing kext files, maybe a slightly more informed 2nd look will help. But I didn't have to allow anything related to the MPC software or driver. I'll check Security to see if anything is listed.

Quote:
This doesn't make any sense. (I'm not attacking you, I'm saying that the computer and software are doing things that don't make sense.)

If the rack shows up as an option in audio preferences, and you can set your input to the rack in Logic, then it sounds like the kext is installed. Why you are getting no output is a mystery.
No input monitoring in Logic either, I assume?
Have you tried routing to a bus then set an aux track to the bus? (Just to see if the signal goes ANYwhere inside Logic...)
We were so focused on the kext file & allowing that we didn't experiment much, just made sure things were routed correctly. I will have him try some different routing.

Quote:
I don't think it matters if the 002 is on or off, but in my case it was on and plugged in. I suspect Logic should NOT be running. But the worst that would happen is Logic might crash during the install.

It's also a mystery to me that you don't see the Avid kext in either of the Extensions folders, but the rack shows up as an input option.
All I can guess now is that there is something about your hardware (The mac Book) that is different from what I have here.

Sorry, but I'm out of ideas.
Good luck.
I believe his model is right before mine. I'll double check the location of my MPC kext files against his folders.

I'll likely be treating my brother to a new interface if a final round of trouble shooting isn't fruitful. Despite being 15+ years old, it's hard to let go. I had that unit Black Lion Audio modded. There are some decent pres in there.

Quote:
Okay... maybe I'm not 100% out of ideas.
One thing that sometimes trips me up is that Logic obeys it's own rules for audio input and output. The settings under System Prefs -> Sound for input and output will only apply to audio the computer is making outside of Logic. So system sounds, audio in your web browser, games, movies...
You have to have the Logic Pro X -> Preferences -> Audio -> Devices set up right.
If you have the headphones plugged into the laptop and the audio is set up to output through the 002 Rack, you won't hear anything. Things like this can trip people up. Not sure if this is your issue or not.

If you're seeing levels on the input meter for a track but not the output... that's a big puzzle. I assume you tried to record on the input channel and got nothing?
My brother plugged into the laptop and my face lit up. I thought that was it... he didn't know to plug into the 002. Unfortunately, there was no sound out of the 002 headphone jack either.

But no, we did not try recording. With everything seeming to work aside from audio output, I was convinced it was the kext file & permissions, especially since it was the one topic of your suggestions I wasn't familiar with.

I'm going to do one more round of trouble shooting with him before I treat him to an interface. I may pass on my Clarett 4pre and upgrade to the 8pre. I'm considering some external summing with a Dangerous Music D-Box or similar. I'll need the outs.

Thanks again! Your time is greatly appreciated.
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

Update: Still not sure what's wrong, but he's able to record... sometimes. This works for now as he'll have a new interface as soon as I do. Thanks for the help!
Old 27th August 2019
BMU
Here for the gear
Nice to found you.. i saw your comments and in my opinion you are professional and can help me about 003 rack: 003 Rack bought from eBay black lion mode, Imac 2013 27 inch i7 10.11.6, 003 Driver 11.1.5, Pro tools 12.6.1. 003 work and host in PT recognized all must be ok but; no recording and no sound from 1-2 main output monitors. (Sounds only From Outputs 12345678 inputs 12345678 no reconstruction in PT the
IO missing paths and no matches between pt and 003 in IO My conclusion. Please inform what wrong from my side? My email; [email protected]
Old 27th August 2019
BMU
Here for the gear
Nice to found you.. i saw your comments and in my opinion you are professional and can help me about 003 rack: 003 Rack bought from eBay black lion mode, Imac ? 2013 27 inch i7 10.11.6, 003 Driver 11.1.5, Pro tools 12.6.1. 003 work and host in PT recognized all must be ok but; no recording and no sound from 1-2 main output monitors. (Sounds only From Outputs 12345678 inputs 12345678 no reconstruction in PT the
IO missing paths and no matches between pt and 003 in IO My conclusion. Please inform what wrong from my side? My email; [email protected]
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search