The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
For Pro Tools Gurus: Shift all fades/crossfades? DAW Software
Old 8th July 2014
Lives for gear

For Pro Tools Gurus: Shift all fades/crossfades?

Hi guys,

Probably a simple question/solution but in Pro Tools 10 how would I shift all fades/crossfades forwards/backwards by the same amount?

In Logic (which I admittedly don't actually use that often for audio editing but...) you highlight all the regions and drag and it adjusts the all of the regions. On the one hand this always catches me out and drives me crazy (for instance if I'm zoomed in a don't realise there is other audio selected) but in this instance I've got a huge number of edits and just want to pull back the edits a little farther from the transients and then apply the crossfades.

Cheers!

R.
Old 8th July 2014
Lives for gear

Grabber tool in object mode, ctrl-click each fade and drag.
Old 9th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH View Post
Grabber tool in object mode, ctrl-click each fade and drag.
Hi Jones,

Thanks for that. Gave it a quick try and doesn't seem to be doing what I need. Could be operator error though....

So: Imagine you have your drums grouped, snare's a little late so you make an edit, drag it over over and then in slip mode you use the trim tool to finesse the edit crossover point. And obviously since your tracks are grouped you're editing across all your tracks at that one point.

What I'd like to do is essentially highlight the entire take (group of tracks) and be able to slip ALL edits (imagine there's 20 through out the song) by say 5ms.

Maybe there's a setting that I'm missing in the fade dialogue or "perhaps fill and crossfade" that would allow me to specify an start pad (such as in strip silence) leading from the edit/crossfade to the transient?

What am I trying to accomplish?

I had a drum track, not played to click, sounded great but too fast. Tempo mapped every few bars or so so I had it on a consistent grid, used Beat Detective to split at the transients, Conformed, switched to Ticks, adjusted the tempo and then "Fill and Crossfade" results sounded excellent (much better than Elastic Audio... by miles) but I really had to go through and check/adjust each individual crossfade as there were very slight. but noticeable, remnants of the previous notes throughout the track.

If I could have highlighted ALL the edits and dragged them over a few ms that would have been perfect. They wouldn't have been shifted enough to affect the good crossfades but the niggly ones would been taken care of.

Again I'm sure PT has a simple enough solution for this?

R.
Old 9th July 2014
when you use beat detective, choose a 5ms trigger pad. This will prevent the issue you describe, except in extreme cases.

I'm not sure there's an easy way to select and nudge all fades. you can do them individually of course by selecting the fade (whilst grouped) and nudging using + and -.

You could (carefully) select multiple fades using the object grabber tool, and nudge those.

But there's not an easy way to select and nudge just the fades. To the best of my knowledge.
Old 9th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
when you use beat detective, choose a 5ms trigger pad. This will prevent the issue you describe, except in extreme cases.

I'm not sure there's an easy way to select and nudge all fades. you can do them individually of course by selecting the fade (whilst grouped) and nudging using + and -.

You could (carefully) select multiple fades using the object grabber tool, and nudge those.

But there's not an easy way to select and nudge just the fades. To the best of my knowledge.
Thanks Psycho Monkey. Was hoping you'd chime in!

I've always just left the Trigger Pad at 0 so will give that a try.

As both you and Jones suggested I tried using the Grabber in Object mode but it was only allowing me to select either whole sections (not sure how these sections are defined but they were often spanning multiple bars not just beats) or individual fades and not multiple fades across a group?

Anyway that's probably above my pay-scales need for understanding. heh

I'll focus on the Trigger Pad to hopefully make the "shift multiple fades" less necessary.

Cheers!

R.
Old 9th July 2014
Lives for gear

You could also move the cut points of all the chopped drum clips by object-grabbing them all, using alt+nudge backwards to nudge the start of clip and then batch apply the fades.
Old 9th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spede View Post
You could also move the cut points of all the chopped drum clips by object-grabbing them all, using alt+nudge backwards to nudge the start of clip and then batch apply the fades.
Hmm yeah that might work...you could probably leave existing fades in place too, and that might do exactly what the op wants!

Trigger pad is the way to go in future though - you avoid the issue entirely except in the worst played sections!
Old 9th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spede View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Hmm yeah that might work...you could probably leave existing fades in place too, and that might do exactly what the op wants!

Trigger pad is the way to go in future though - you avoid the issue entirely except in the worst played sections!
Cheers guys!

1. Added 5ms to the Trigger Pad worked an absolute treat!

2. Not wanting to miss a trick though I also tried (and successfully) used the grabber tool to to grab each crossfade and nudge them all at the same time. And yes it did indeed leave all fades in place! But...

If you have crossfades already in place you have to go through and Shift Select every single crossfade across EVERY track individually. I thought you would at least be able to highlight one edit in a group and it would select each fade along that edit (such as when you normally delete edits) but Object mode seems to ignore groups. It will simply treat all the regions as one big single region if crossfades are already in place.

So as Spede said, after I batch deleted the previous fades the Grabber highlighted each individual region and I was able to nudge the clip start and, as they say, Bob's yer uncle! Then batch crossfade and you're done.

Thanks again guys. Learned two nifty tricks today!

R.
Old 10th July 2014
Gear Maniac

One of the most frustrating things to me about Pro Tools. Years and years now. No batch operations when dealing with fades. I wonder why there isn't more demand for this.
Old 20th March 2019
Old thread but chiming in

Has this been addressed in PT 2018? Crazy that you can’t for example beat detective drums then shift the fades down timeline on room Mics, overheads etc.
Old 24th March 2019
Gear Maniac
select all on your playlist, nudge the audio regions (say 10ms) to the left, then select all regions and fades and move to the right.

edit: just make sure all regions have enough "meat" outside their region boundaries...
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search