The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone tried The Pro Tools PC?
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

Anyone tried The Pro Tools PC?

I'm probably facing the same dilemma as many of you. I have a quad core Mac Pro running PT8, HD3 Accel, 3 x Digi 96Ks and have resisted up-dating to 11 until the dust settles. The new Mac Pro is looking hmm...iffy and probably expensive so after reading a positive review, I looked at the pro tools PC which seems amazing. It can apparently be run as a hackintosh. Any thoughts?
Old 20th October 2013
Pros - it looks like a "professional" audio pc - I'm sure it's well built, styling is nice, practical etc. Expensive for a pc but that's what you get for a custom build.

Cons - it's still a hack, with all the lack of support and potential future incompatibility, and care needed with updates, that thst entails.

And if you're going the hack route, know what you're doing (which you'll have to if you want to hack this) and don't care so much about the prettiness, you might as well just build your own for less.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

I researched and recently built a rack-mount pc, which was spec'd to function as a hack. I suggest building a computer as a final resting place for your HD system. Plenty of stable builds already documented, and with legacy digidesign hardware, you won't need to update it once you have it running smoothly.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Head

Thanks guys
That pretty well sums up what many have said to me. Think I'll wait to see definite pricing and availability of Mac Pro then make the decision.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

I still cannot comprehend why would someone buy something like this. Just go to a store and order the parts yourself, have the store assemble it and ship home.. This is a ripoff. PC's are accessible to everyone, this is not an apple fanfare, anyone can build them or order custom parts and have the store assemble them..

I am sorry but i find this practice of selling "custom pc's" for pro tools ridiculous. All pc's are custom The guy just takes advantage of people that come from a mac and are completely clueless.(rightfully so)
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aith View Post
I still cannot comprehend why would someone buy something like this. Just go to a store and order the parts yourself, have the store assemble it and ship home.. This is a ripoff. PC's are accessible to everyone, this is not an apple fanfare, anyone can build them or order custom parts and have the store assemble them..

I am sorry but i find this practice of selling "custom pc's" for pro tools ridiculous. All pc's are custom The guy just takes advantage of people that come from a mac and are completely clueless.(rightfully so)
Because a lot of busy professional people especially Mac users have no idea about which hardware to chose or even how to put it together.

I don't think anyone is taking advantage of anything here and I commend anyone who is pro active in starting a business in this very competitive and difficult market.

As an update I believe the company has just gone under, which I'm sad about as the guys over at Rain seemed like good guys from the few you tube vids I saw.

MC
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Just a thought, but I moved from a Mac G5 to a pc just recently. Built a rackmount pc myself from specs shown to function perfectly as a "hackintosh". Thus far, I'm just running windows 7. Haven't taken the time to install OSX, and haven't really missed it.

Plus, and I haven't confirmed this personally, but a good friend of mine who's "in the loop" told me that Pro Tools is developed in windows, then ported to mac os. Also, it seems that all of the "Mac love" we take for granted in the music biz here is largely an American thing; seems that PCs are the norm everywhere else.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
Because a lot of busy professional people especially Mac users have no idea about which hardware to chose or even how to put it together.

I don't think anyone is taking advantage of anything here and I commend anyone who is pro active in starting a business in this very competitive and difficult market.

As an update I believe the company has just gone under, which I'm sad about as the guys over at Rain seemed like good guys from the few you tube vids I saw.

MC
The company (Pro Tools PC) absolutely has not gone under!!!! Everything is running fine. There has been what amounts to nothing more than some name change issues and some great news is coming very soon!!

Any questions about builds or any concerns can be addressed here
Old 26th October 2013
Hi Folks,

What guitardom has said is absolutely correct, nothing at all has changed in the Availability, support or Warranty of the Pro Tools PC.
Our fulfillment agent is going through a rebranding, that's all !

And to address some other points raised in this thread,
Aith - we are not taking advantage of anyone and thanks to norbury brook who pretty much nailed it but I'd like to add that we actively test Avid hardware with our builds, from Mboxes to HD Native, Native Thunderbolt and HDX, I would hazzard a guess that not many people building their own PC's have the resources, access to all the hardware or time to do this, We also provide support for all our users not just on the PC itself but with every aspect of Pro Tools related issues we possibly can.
We know both PC's and Pro Tools very well and all we are trying to do is provide a total package to those who just want to get on with using Pro Tools.
I hope that helps!
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm glad to hear it :D

MC
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil H View Post
Hi Folks,

What guitardom has said is absolutely correct, nothing at all has changed in the Availability, support or Warranty of the Pro Tools PC.
Our fulfillment agent is going through a rebranding, that's all !

And to address some other points raised in this thread,
Aith - we are not taking advantage of anyone and thanks to norbury brook who pretty much nailed it but I'd like to add that we actively test Avid hardware with our builds, from Mboxes to HD Native, Native Thunderbolt and HDX, I would hazzard a guess that not many people building their own PC's have the resources, access to all the hardware or time to do this, We also provide support for all our users not just on the PC itself but with every aspect of Pro Tools related issues we possibly can.
We know both PC's and Pro Tools very well and all we are trying to do is provide a total package to those who just want to get on with using Pro Tools.
I hope that helps!
thank fook , i was only just looking at finances to order!
Old 9th January 2014
Gear Addict

I'm seriously looking at this as my future upgrade option. The support is why, especially since I don't have the time to do my own build and I don't have the luxury of troubleshooting one if I did. One question I have for Neil would be how and if they would treat/support future processor or motherboard upgrades etc? Will you guys list tested upgrades?

AD
Old 10th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justDoug View Post
Plus, and I haven't confirmed this personally, but a good friend of mine who's "in the loop" told me that Pro Tools is developed in windows, then ported to mac os.
As former Pro Tools beta tester I can say this statement is not accurate.
Old 10th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adogg4629 View Post
I'm seriously looking at this as my future upgrade option. The support is why, especially since I don't have the time to do my own build and I don't have the luxury of troubleshooting one if I did. One question I have for Neil would be how and if they would treat/support future processor or motherboard upgrades etc? Will you guys list tested upgrades?

AD
Hello, This is Steve and I handle the builds and support for U.S. and Canada for Pro Tools PC.

I will say, we are very aware the support is a lot of what we are offering and try very hard in this area to do all we can before the sale and after the computer is received. We have no intentions of falling behind on computer technology. Neil had a Haswell built, tested, and approved as fast as he possibly could. Moving forward, I see no reasons it would change. We have no intentions of falling in a rut or not moving forward.
Old 12th January 2014
Quote:

AD
Hi, we wont be "listing" upgrade components but we will offer the option of a system "refresh" for existing customers, where we will use as many of the customers existing parts as possible (such as the case, power supply etc) and build it into a new up to date system.
Old 23rd January 2014
Gear Addict

Wow Neil, that's fantastic. I'm really liking what you are offering. I'm hoping that I can get my Mac Pro 4.1 sold off soon so I can pull the trigger on this. Then I can report back.

AD
Old 23rd January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aith View Post

+1 here. Ive ordered rack cases from Arrowmax and built I7 PCs that scream for PT for right around a $1000.00 check out Newegg and Tiger Direct and all the parts are there. way cheaper than someone else building it for you...
Old 24th January 2014
Gear Addict

Thank you both Aith and Countrymetalguy. Had I the time, I would love to build and support my very own custom PT PC. However, I don't have the luxury of that and really would rather spend the premium price for the support that a reputable company can provide.

AD
Old 4th February 2014
I totally agree anyone can build their own computer and if anyone feels that is what they want to do I highly encourage it, it can be a very rewarding and fulfilling experience.
I have to reiterate we are not here to rip anyone off , we are simply providing an all in one ready to go product for those who simply don't want to have to deal with DIY and all that it brings.
We have done our homework done the testing with Avid hardware and have a ready to use computer that we know works for the job in hand.
As an added bonus we also know Pro Tools very well and can help out with all kinds of operational issues users may come up against without the need for them to trawl forums, user groups and Avid tech support and hopefully avoiding those "tear your hair out" moments.
We are offering a product made for the job with included end to end support which we believe to be great value.
If you know what you are doing, don't want any help or support then of course maybe our product is not for you, but we are there for those who feel they might need what we offer that's all
Old 4th February 2014
Gear Addict

I'm still pinching my pennies waiting to make my studio upgrade happen. Why do these things take so long. Sigh.

AD
Old 4th February 2014
I know how how you feel !
Old 5th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil H View Post
I totally agree anyone can build their own computer and if anyone feels that is what they want to do I highly encourage it, it can be a very rewarding and fulfilling experience.
I have to reiterate we are not here to rip anyone off , we are simply providing an all in one ready to go product for those who simply don't want to have to deal with DIY and all that it brings.
We have done our homework done the testing with Avid hardware and have a ready to use computer that we know works for the job in hand.
As an added bonus we also know Pro Tools very well and can help out with all kinds of operational issues users may come up against without the need for them to trawl forums, user groups and Avid tech support and hopefully avoiding those "tear your hair out" moments.
We are offering a product made for the job with included end to end support which we believe to be great value.
If you know what you are doing, don't want any help or support then of course maybe our product is not for you, but we are there for those who feel they might need what we offer that's all
Neil, do not listen to the nay sayer's, the concept of having a a PC built specifically for Pro Tools and paying a reasonable labor cost included is perfectly viable. And great solution for significant portion of us who possibly could, but really have no intention of building one ourselves.

Having been a custom home builder for 40 yrs, the same logic and notion is analogous to me saying.

Just build your own studio "I still cannot comprehend why would someone buy something like this. Just go to a store and order the parts yourself" It's simple just concrete, wood, sheetrock, flooring, roofing, glass, electrical wire, and plumbing. It's a rip off to pay someone to do that for you
Old 5th February 2014
Thanks Kev a great example
Old 6th February 2014
Gear Addict

I just can't understand why people buy cars pre-made. Seriously. Don't you all know that the automotive industry is just one giant scam to get people to buy cars that they could've built themselves for a fraction of the cost?
Old 6th February 2014
Quote:
I just can't understand why people buy cars pre-made. Seriously. Don't you all know that the automotive industry is just one giant scam to get people to buy cars that they could've built themselves for a fraction of the cost?
Mmm, not a great analogy! You don't need much in the way of tooling to build and spec a PC, there's handholding guides online, and it's not physically hard or skilled.

But not everyone has the knowledge, or wants to. I'm sure I could build a PC that i could hackintosh and it'd be more powerful than the new MacBook I'm going to buy...but that's not the biggest selling point for me.

This product definitely has a niche, it's just if that niche is big enough to keep them afloat.
Old 7th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Mmm, not a great analogy! You don't need much in the way of tooling to build and spec a PC, there's handholding guides online, and it's not physically hard or skilled.

But not everyone has the knowledge, or wants to. I'm sure I could build a PC that i could hackintosh and it'd be more powerful than the new MacBook I'm going to buy...but that's not the biggest selling point for me.

This product definitely has a niche, it's just if that niche is big enough to keep them afloat.
Humm I don't know bout that there's homemade cars

and then there's homemade cars

then there are homemade vintage style analog clones

Old 7th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Humm I don't know bout that there's homemade cars

and then there's homemade cars

then there are homemade vintage style analog clones

ROFLMAO
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

I like the PT's PC company computer and I also like PC audio labs Mc 7x
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post

To be fair, I bought a PC to run Cubase and Pro Tools 11 on Windows 7 and it runs fine. It is the workflow of Pro Tools that I have a problem with, not its ability to run on my computer. I don't know why or when this "Hackentosh" thing started, but a good PC with the right Motherboard, enough CPU power, RAM, 64 bits Windows, 64 bit plugs and a high quality (RME HSP for me) sound card and a quality converter (Aurora 16 for me) will run PT just fine. I don't think the guy I bought the PC from is still building it, but its been very stable for both PT and Cubase.
Old 15th December 2015
Here for the gear

Hoping the GS community can help me. I found someone selling a PTPC at a very reasonable price. He's dumping it because he's no longer doing large sessions and has moved onto another platform that is Mac based. In making a buyer's decision I have tried to find out exactly what's in the PTPC. Going to their website was no help. Its 98% hype (surprise!) and has precious little about actual specs. While they give some prices on finished units, tying to figure out what the box actually contains is never mentioned beyond RAM and processor specs. I have large multiple computer systems already and need to know if my current hardware will work with this (relatively) very expensive box. Can anyone who owns one relate specs such as: number of and kind of card slots (PCI, PCIe, PCIx), number and type of USB ports (1,2 3?), number of RAM slots and maximum RAM, is video output on the MOBO or a separate card, size of power supply, number of internal HDD it holds, number of Firewire ports, how many disc bays, etc.

Call me picky but when I go digging around the DIY kit sites this is exactly the kind of information I need to know to make a purchase but Avid deigns not to supply to its potential customers. I know they designed this product for those that have little to no knowledge of the computers they use to make music but for those of us that have spent years learning how restrictive hardware and software compatibility can be I'm sure others could avail of information that Avid does not disclose.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search