The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pro Tools: Snapping Automation Points to the Grid?
Old 26th August 2013
Lives for gear

Pro Tools: Snapping Automation Points to the Grid?

Hey guys,

Does anyone know the shortcut/menu option to automatically snap automation points to the grid? Really annoying having to super zoom in every time!

Thxxxxxxxx
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

????

Are you in grid mode. That's all there is to it unless I'm mistaking what you're asking.
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
????

Are you in grid mode. That's all there is to it unless I'm mistaking what you're asking.
Aye in grid mode.

Say you want to automate the trim plugin, when you manually select an automation point on the grid from where you want the automation to start, I can't get it to snap to a bar. It only seems to snap AFTER you've inserted the point, and then attempt to drag it to the nearest bar.

I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong.
Old 27th August 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Biffro View Post
Aye in grid mode.

Say you want to automate the trim plugin, when you manually select an automation point on the grid from where you want the automation to start, I can't get it to snap to a bar. It only seems to snap AFTER you've inserted the point, and then attempt to drag it to the nearest bar.

I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong.
That is actually correct operation. The hotkey to create a point (cmd/ctrl) is also the hotkey for fine movement, which ignores the grid and increments slower.

Deal with this all the time and never really gave it a second thought, but it would be handy to NOT have to bump every point...
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

Hmmmm.... Not really sure what you guys are doing, but if you're in Grid mode, as soon as you pop the hand tool anywhere on the line and click, it automatically snaps to the closest grid value. No need to zoom and fix.

I have no idea why it wouldn't be doing that.
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
Hmmmm.... Not really sure what you guys are doing, but if you're in Grid mode, as soon as you pop the hand tool anywhere on the line and click, it automatically snaps to the closest grid value. No need to zoom and fix.

I have no idea why it wouldn't be doing that.
Are you using PTHD? Maybe it's a HD only feature.
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

Nope.

Plain old PT.
Old 29th August 2013
Gear Addict

I don't know if it will help but I noticed that if you use the Grabber Tool and you click to add an automation point, it will be on the grid.

But if you use the Pencil Tool, then it will be wherever you click and not necessary on the grid.

Just tried right now on PT9 Native.
Old 12th July 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spid View Post
I don't know if it will help but I noticed that if you use the Grabber Tool and you click to add an automation point, it will be on the grid.

But if you use the Pencil Tool, then it will be wherever you click and not necessary on the grid.

Just tried right now on PT9 Native.
fyi yes it works but only if u are in "grid" and not "relative grid" and not with the smart tool, only the grabber tool
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Maniac
I think this may be a "smart tool" issue. If you are in grid mode and use the grabber tool, not as a part of the smart tool, then the breakpoints should automatically snap to the grid. But if you are using the smart tool, then in automation playlist view the smart tool defaults to the selector tool, and to get the grabber tool you have to hold cmd (Mac). Holding command also temporarily defeats Grid mode (new behavior in some version of 2018, I think... maybe late PT12?).

Lots of complaining on the DUC about this new behavior, since it also temporarily defeats muscle memory.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search