The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro Tools 10 & Pro Tools HDX
Old 23rd October 2011 | Show parent
  #211
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
IS that a real serious question? You can get ton, literally ton of CPU power with the latest i7 generation (sandy bridge-go for 2600). I am not trying to hijack this thread it is very interesting to me but seriously what kind of ancient computer you have? You can build i7 with 64 bit cubase, ssd drive (or two raid usual drives) and you NEVER have to even think of something as "2nd box". It is blazing fast with as much as needed resources. I mean just look on youtube. Plenty of (literally) decent orchestra pieces on average 64 bit machine. Seek for some top selling libraries and look for creators of their demos. Most of them use just one machine.

Sometimes i am somehow scared to see that people suffer from something as using more computers to do something just because they are tied to ancient technology (e-mu paris anyone??).
Do you do any long-form television and/or film work.. sometimes overlapping at the same time?

You need 2nd and 3rd machines running the libraries. Our orchestra templates are 350 tracks wide with everything we need loaded at all times. Why? Because we have zero time to putz around. We simply do not have the time to wait for these sessions to reload for 15 minutes every time I change cues, episodes or a reel. With everything on B and C machines, and A mainly triggering - these switchovers take seconds... and that time counts when you have to write 25+ minutes a week. All my machines are 64bit / 20+GB of ram.. and I can still push these machines past the limits on an insane session.

Also, people use ancient technology every day - I even lock Protools and Logic with LTC timecode for doing stem prints and laybacks - and you know what? It works perfectly, and is faster and more reliable than any other current 'solution'. This is partially why I find gearsluts so funny at times - out with the old, in with the new seems to the mantra.. even if you have no idea what the old did and why the new is or isn't better.
Old 23rd October 2011
  #212
Company Rep
 
DAW PLUS's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd View Post
You proved exactly my point. I´ll say it again. YOU CAN NOT do professional orchestra work with sample libraries with Pro Tools, because the lack of 64-bit... without using slave computers and VEPro and that´s what´s pathetic!

Have fun with your slaves! I´m having a blast with just one computer and native 64-bit system!
You can use VEP on a single system for smaller projects if wished. It is a local server, you can easily load your own library templates, so even when PT is 64 bit and Avid improved their istrument performance (an issue they are well aware of), it is still a great tool for ANY DAW you choose to use.
We demoed a single system last week, with HDN, running 64 bit instruments using VEP, and Nuendo running on the same system at the same time, both 64 samples buffer. No error messages. If you need to add slaves, that is all about the system limits, not DAW limits.
Old 23rd October 2011 | Show parent
  #213
Gear Addict
 
KarmaPolice's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Clip Gain and Audio Suite handles. I stopped dreaming about this a long time ago!

Old 23rd October 2011 | Show parent
  #214
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
You can use VEP on a single system for smaller projects if wished. It is a local server, you can easily load your own library templates, so even when PT is 64 bit and Avid improved their istrument performance (an issue they are well aware of), it is still a great tool for ANY DAW you choose to use.
We demoed a single system last week, with HDN, running 64 bit instruments using VEP, and Nuendo running on the same system at the same time, both 64 samples buffer. No error messages. If you need to add slaves, that is all about the system limits, not DAW limits.
Any DAW that cannot load more than 4GB of virtual instruments inside the DAW and has to rely on workarounds like the VEPro, I consider a crappy DAW. It´s actually pathetic.

Avid is stuck in the past, bring on the 64-bit!

And by "Clip Gain" I didn´t meant the name change from regions. The fact that they make such a big deal about this "new" feature is ridiculous. Others have had it for many many years. Ancient feature! And still not non-realtime bouncing. Give me a break Avid!
Old 23rd October 2011 | Show parent
  #215
Deleted User
Guest
Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd View Post
Any DAW that cannot load more than 4GB of virtual instruments inside the DAW and has to rely on workarounds like the VEPro, I consider a crappy DAW. It´s actually pathetic.

Avid is stuck in the past, bring on the 64-bit!

And by "Clip Gain" I didn´t meant the name change from regions. The fact that they make such a big deal about this "new" feature is ridiculous. Others have had it for many many years. Ancient feature! And still not non-realtime bouncing. Give me a break Avid!
+1.
Old 23rd October 2011 | Show parent
  #216
Company Rep
 
DAW PLUS's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd View Post
Avid is stuck in the past, bring on the 64-bit!
It has nothing to do with the past, but a huge code transition for many soft- and hardware products to add 64 bit. Avid has a history of upgrades across their product lines, and I'm pretty sure they are working on 64 bit for a long time now. Since the TDM Accel cards will not be supported beyond PT10, I am pretty sure this is the reason why. A 64 bit version with legacy support is something they want to avoid, for obvious reasons.

I am waiting for the 64 bit version myself, but I also understand why I will have to wait for it longer than I hoped.
Old 23rd October 2011 | Show parent
  #217
Lives for gear
 
euphoria89's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Non-realtime bouncing isnt something i'm too fussed about. I use outboard when mixing, so its the only option. Plus, it gives you a chance to reflect upon your mix.

Only time i've wanted it is when i'm simply converting say a wav master to MP3 file format, but it use Cubase instead.
Old 23rd October 2011 | Show parent
  #218
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
You can use VEP on a single system for smaller projects if wished. It is a local server, you can easily load your own library templates, so even when PT is 64 bit and Avid improved their istrument performance (an issue they are well aware of), it is still a great tool for ANY DAW you choose to use.
We demoed a single system last week, with HDN, running 64 bit instruments using VEP, and Nuendo running on the same system at the same time, both 64 samples buffer. No error messages. If you need to add slaves, that is all about the system limits, not DAW limits.
Old 23rd October 2011 | Show parent
  #219
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Many native fans up here (I'm actually one myself, for mixing)....probably more than TDM fans.

You will get many people telling you that native is its equal (it's not) and that it's just a rip off. It's not.

PT HD means you have ALL the power the Nuendo, Logic, Live, Reaper, etc, folks have, PLUS dedicated DSP to handle very heavy lifting, on demand, when you need it. You won't get "System Overload" messages or "Try increasing yor buffer size" messages and when you record you won't have to pull up some stupid 3rd party software to insure zero (or near zero latency) recording, you just click "RECORD" and go.

There are workarounds for the latency thing, and certain other systems can sound as good, so it's up to you whether it's worth going that route, or having an integrated system, built to work as one entity, and supported by one company...and of course up to you whether the look and feel and workflow of PT is right for you. If it is, it doesn't matter what other DAWS can or can't do, since it will be irrelevant to where your comfort zone is.

TH
Thanks! I am considering going HDX (when I can afford it).

Btw. You can use HD hardware with Logic as well as PT? I have been playing around with PT the last months. And have this tought of keeping Logic for the creative part and maybe record guitars and so on and mixing in PT...Besides I allredy use Sibelius. And exporting midi from it to Logic has caused anying problems, thats also a reason I want to use PT along with Logic.
Old 23rd October 2011 | Show parent
  #220
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Remember HDX's power boost will be negligible in 2 years. You only need it if you need consistent super low latency.
Old 23rd October 2011 | Show parent
  #221
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop666 View Post
Remember HDX's power boost will be negligible in 2 years. You only need it if you need consistent super low latency.
Cinsistent superlow latency is not a bad thing...
Old 23rd October 2011 | Show parent
  #222
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
otherwise you could freeze/bounce + wait and save money

It is up to you, what you prefer!
Old 23rd October 2011 | Show parent
  #223
Lives for gear
 
Benmrx's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Not sure if it was already mentioned, but based on the new features and few overview tutorials, it really seems like they are going to put more emphasis on the video/post integration. Not only for the general post crowd, but the inter-application workflow between PT and Media Composer.

FWIW, I like alot of the new features, and I'm basically a PT only guy, but I don't see myself upgrading from PT9 just yet.
Old 23rd October 2011 | Show parent
  #224
Here for the gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Hopefully Lynx will come out with a new card to go in Auroras to work with HDX.
And real soon God willing.
I am hoping it is just a firmware upgrade. . . not a new card.
Old 23rd October 2011 | Show parent
  #225
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Pro Tools 10 supports 64-bit hardware drivers for Avid interfaces, enabling you to use your Avid audio interface with 64-bit Mac and Windows operating systems. At this time, Pro Tools 10 is still a 32-bit application to support Pro Tools|HD TDM systems and older ("blue") Avid Pro Tools|HD interfaces. Because these older hardware systems will not support 64-bit, it was important to do one final Pro Tools release at 32-bit and deliver the highly requested features and performance enhancements to everyone.
Pro Tools 10 will be the final full version release to support Pro Tools|HD (TDM) hardware and legacy "Digidesign" audio interfaces, as Avid makes the transition to a full 64-bit application.
Had Avid made PT10 a 64 bit clean app if would have left thousands of HD customers and Blue interface users out in the cold.
At least they are offering a hardware upgrade
Does Apple give everyone a new Mac Pro hardware upgrade when new ones hit the streets?

People will still be using HD hardware for years beyond now. There is no stop working date stamp on it.
Old 23rd October 2011 | Show parent
  #226
IMS
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveJungle View Post
I am hoping it is just a firmware upgrade. . . not a new card.
Well, as I said earlier on the thread, I think the connector (at the very least) is different than on the card. This question has been asked on the Lynx forum but there has been no response from them to that question yet.
Old 23rd October 2011 | Show parent
  #227
Lives for gear
 
littlesicily's Avatar
 
16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMS View Post
Well, as I said earlier on the thread, I think the connector (at the very least) is different than on the card. This question has been asked on the Lynx forum but there has been no response from them to that question yet.
I may give them a call this week.
Old 24th October 2011
  #228
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Can anyone who has got PT10 confirm if waves plugs etc need to be updated ?
Old 24th October 2011 | Show parent
  #229
Lives for gear
 
sardi's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 View Post
Non-realtime bouncing isnt something i'm too fussed about. I use outboard when mixing, so its the only option. Plus, it gives you a chance to reflect upon your mix.

Only time i've wanted it is when i'm simply converting say a wav master to MP3 file format, but it use Cubase instead.
Select wav file in PT, click on region list menu, select export regions as files and choose mp3.
Old 24th October 2011 | Show parent
  #230
Lives for gear
 
sardi's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderBro Flo View Post
It is a bit discomforting that avid says different things in their emails as opposed to their website and vendors: I looked it up on the avid website, it clearly says you get a free upgrade if you bought and registered pt9 on October 1st or after. No mentioning of an end date whatsoever. I based my purchase on this, they will have to fulfill their own promises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderBro Flo View Post
btw here is the quote directly from avids website:
"Do I qualify for a free upgrade?
You’re eligible to receive a free upgrade to Pro Tools 10 or Pro Tools HD 10 if you purchased and registered Pro Tools 9 or Pro Tools HD 9 software on or after October 1, 2011*(register your purchase). If you qualify, you’ll receive an email with instructions on how to get your free upgrade."

and here is the link:
Avid | Pro Tools 10 Software — Professional Audio Recording and Music Creation Software

let's see if they will change the text on the website or if the quoted part remains unchanged.
Can you not see the difference there?

One is a PT9/9HD full version and one is an upgrade. Only the upgrade has the cutoff date of October 21st, otherwise everyone would be buying up upgrade boxes after the AES announcement as it would be cheaper (due to the free upgrade) than upgrading from a version before PT9.
Old 24th October 2011 | Show parent
  #231
Lives for gear
 
anguswoodhead's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMS View Post
Well, as I said earlier on the thread, I think the connector (at the very least) is different than on the card. This question has been asked on the Lynx forum but there has been no response from them to that question yet.
Talking to a dealer today.
Seems that there is a short adapter cable - Digilink to Digilink mini which is under $100.
It's the same adapter one uses to connect legacy Digidesign interfaces to HD Native.
Works for Lynx apparently.
Looks like this I think
But this solution will only work for HDX cards and PT 10.
Once PT 11 comes the old interfaces won't be supportted (inc Aurora's in there current format).


Lynx then will need to come out with a new interface card which is Digilink Mini and that enables an Aurora to be seen as one of the new 16 x 16 or 8 x 8 x 8 interfaces etc.
Old 24th October 2011 | Show parent
  #232
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
as a work around you could get a all digital avid i/o and go aes into it from your converters.
Old 24th October 2011 | Show parent
  #233
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by serious View Post
Can anyone who has got PT10 confirm if waves plugs etc need to be updated ?
Waves V8 plug-ins run fine in PT10 because it still runs 32 bit PI.
Old 24th October 2011
  #234
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
IS that a real serious question? You can get ton, literally ton of CPU power with the latest i7 generation (sandy bridge-go for 2600). I am not trying to hijack this thread it is very interesting to me but seriously what kind of ancient computer you have? You can build i7 with 64 bit cubase, ssd drive (or two raid usual drives) and you NEVER have to even think of something as "2nd box". It is blazing fast with as much as needed resources. I mean just look on youtube. Plenty of (literally) decent orchestra pieces on average 64 bit machine. Seek for some top selling libraries and look for creators of their demos. Most of them use just one machine.

Sometimes i am somehow scared to see that people suffer from something as using more computers to do something just because they are tied to ancient technology (e-mu paris anyone??).
I'm always scared when people make blind assumptions without understanding the context of the content to which they are replying. Clearly this is you.

As I stated I'm not the one doing the composing - my machine is more than sufficient for what I do, and given that I haven't said a word about my machine you're pretty ignorant for assuming its archaic based on a question I posed about someone else's workflow. Smh. Reading is fundamental

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com
Old 24th October 2011 | Show parent
  #235
IMS
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Talking to a dealer today.
Seems that there is a short adapter cable - Digilink to Digilink mini which is under $100.
It's the same adapter one uses to connect legacy Digidesign interfaces to HD Native.
Works for Lynx apparently.
Looks like this I think
But this solution will only work for HDX cards and PT 10.
Once PT 11 comes the old interfaces won't be supportted (inc Aurora's in there current format).


Lynx then will need to come out with a new interface card which is Digilink Mini and that enables an Aurora to be seen as one of the new 16 x 16 or 8 x 8 x 8 interfaces etc.
Overall, a real mess. It seems like if you're someone (like me) who froze their system several years ago waiting for the next generation, it won't pay to upgrade for at least a year, until everything has shaken out. I have an old PPC G5 HD2 system running 7.4 with a D-Command, an old 192 fed digitally from a Mytek 8x96, and a Lynx I use for inserts. Everything works perfectly, but I definitely would like to upgrade as I worry about the age of the computer, and do run out of processing power sometimes.

I understand completely why Avid is taking this interim step, but just hope that the trade-in deals last through/into when PT11 comes out. There simply is no good reason for me to upgrade right now, given all the uncertainty and waiting for AAX plugins, third party hardware upgrades, etc. At least there is a light at the end of the tunnel eventually...
Old 24th October 2011 | Show parent
  #236
Lives for gear
 
dualflip's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Pro Tools 10 supports 64-bit hardware drivers for Avid interfaces, enabling you to use your Avid audio interface with 64-bit Mac and Windows operating systems. At this time, Pro Tools 10 is still a 32-bit application to support Pro Tools|HD TDM systems and older ("blue") Avid Pro Tools|HD interfaces. Because these older hardware systems will not support 64-bit, it was important to do one final Pro Tools release at 32-bit and deliver the highly requested features and performance enhancements to everyone.
Pro Tools 10 will be the final full version release to support Pro Tools|HD (TDM) hardware and legacy "Digidesign" audio interfaces, as Avid makes the transition to a full 64-bit application.
Had Avid made PT10 a 64 bit clean app if would have left thousands of HD customers and Blue interface users out in the cold.
At least they are offering a hardware upgrade
Does Apple give everyone a new Mac Pro hardware upgrade when new ones hit the streets?

People will still be using HD hardware for years beyond now. There is no stop working date stamp on it.
Do you happen to know if HD cards in PCI-X format will still work under Windows 64bit and PT 10?
Old 24th October 2011
  #237
Lives for gear
 
WunderBro Flo's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
Can you not see the difference there?

One is a PT9/9HD full version and one is an upgrade. Only the upgrade has the cutoff date of October 21st, otherwise everyone would be buying up upgrade boxes after the AES announcement as it would be cheaper (due to the free upgrade) than upgrading from a version before PT9.
Not really imho. Avid says on the website when you bought and registered the PT9HD software on or after October first 2011, you get a free update to PT10HD. There is no word that this is eventually not valid for people like me who bought the software license at an upgrade price. The software license is the same as every other, so I literally bought the same software (license) as anyone else who bought the software (license). I will report on how it goes

btw I was told today by a dealer that avid has recalled all PT9 update software packages from the dealers or at least distributors. So that is how they want to manage this. But if you still get one which has not been sent back yet, I would say you're totally entitled to the free update.
Old 25th October 2011 | Show parent
  #238
Lives for gear
 
sardi's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderBro Flo View Post
Not really imho. Avid says on the website when you bought and registered the PT9HD software on or after October first 2011, you get a free update to PT10HD. There is no word that this is eventually not valid for people like me who bought the software license at an upgrade price.
Hmmmm....

------------------------

Pro Tools 10 FAQ:

Q: If I just purchased Pro Tools 9 software or a system that came with Pro Tools 9, do I get a complimentary upgrade to Pro Tools 10 too?

A: Yes, it's possible. If you purchased a Pro Tools 9 product or upgrade within the time period stated below, you're eligible to receive a complimentary software upgrade:
  • You purchased and registered new Pro Tools 9 software (full version) or a product bundled with Pro Tools 9, including the Mbox family or Eleven Rack, on or after October 1, 2011
  • You purchased and registered a Pro Tools 9 upgrade or crossgrade on or between October 1–20, 2011

If you're eligible and registered your purchase, you'll receive an email with instructions to activate and download your complimentary copy of Pro Tools 10 software. However, if you purchased a product that included Pro Tools LE, you are not eligible to receive a complimentary Pro Tools 10 crossgrade (you can still purchase a crossgrade though — get it here).

------------------------

Still can't see the difference?
Old 25th October 2011 | Show parent
  #239
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
This upgrade is such a steal.. and yet, Avid totally forces us to do it.

Think this, plugins developers will start to come up with AAX only,
most likely all the new releases will only be in AAX, so if we want them
we'll need PT10, which is gonna be a transition sw (pile of bugs which won't be solved because PT11 is the real update), waiting for PT11,
but in the meantime we probably want to keep working (RTAS) while testing
the new format AAX which will become mandatory as soon as PT11 come out,
read compatiblity.
And on top of this, the end of VST in PT
Such a screw up..
Old 25th October 2011 | Show parent
  #240
Lives for gear
 
Solar's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
This upgrade is such a steal.. and yet, Avid totally forces us to do it.

Think this, plugins developers will start to come up with AAX only,
most likely all the new releases will only be in AAX, so if we want them
we'll need PT10, which is gonna be a transition sw (pile of bugs which won't be solved because PT11 is the real update), waiting for PT11,
but in the meantime we probably want to keep working (RTAS) while testing
the new format AAX which will become mandatory as soon as PT11 come out,
read compatiblity.
And on top of this, the end of VST in PT
Such a screw up..
Thank God ain't working nor using with The Industry Standard DAW Don't have to worry about All this.

hehhehhehheh
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 55 views: 23444
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 15929 views: 1502056
Avatar for Ragan
Ragan 11th January 2019
replies: 1296 views: 164525
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump