The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
64 bit Pro Tools 10 is coming. This is HUGE!
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
64 bit Pro Tools 10 is coming. This is HUGE!

Seen at an IBC preview of a future version of PT.

- Clip based gain! (also on groups)
- No more rendering fade files (realtime fades)
- 64 bit
- Loads the whole or part of the session into RAM for insane performance
- Extended workflow for dealing with multi-track recordings from field recorders
- open multiple Audiosuite plugs at the same time, support for process whole file (yay, handles!!), you can save open audiosuite plugs as a screenset, for easy replication of fx. So no real undoable undestructive "layered" processing, but step in the right direction.

Avid Pro Tools 10 Preview IBC 2011 - YouTube

Originally posted by Vidius. Thanks!
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Whoa
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
That'd be nice. The RAM limitation when working on windows based systems are such a turn off, going 64 for PT is absolutely necessary
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head

These all sound sexy improvements.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

yeah im wondering how my quad 2.66 macpro will handle these things. I only have 6gb of ram right now I will need to bump this up another 8gigs to 14gigs and see if the cpu can handle it otherwise I will be in the market for a newish macpro.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
Loading a whole session into ram is a game changer, especially if you work in 5.1 or at higher sample rates. The clip based gain feature will probably cut my DIA mix pass time in half.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaP View Post
Loading a whole session into ram is a game changer, especially if you work in 5.1 or at higher sample rates. The clip based gain feature will probably cut my DIA mix pass time in half.
Apart from the RAM disk idea, it looks like they've been copying Nuendo a lot. Also nice to see they now use System 5s for demos instead of crappy old ICONs.

I also love the disclaimer at the start. Probably PT10 will be 64-bit and we'll have to wait another 10 years for all those other new things.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
It was nice to actually see the coding has started, as opposed to an Avid rep just saying "yeah we're working on it".
Old 10th September 2011
Nice proof of PT evolving. However the features they have shown, a part from the RAM caching which is great, already exist elsewhere (OK, Nuendo).
Also I saw a short video of the S5-MC having EQ curves on the 408 for PT EQ. Once again, it already does that for Nuendo, and PT having EQ curves on the 408 display is a natural evolution of the system.

Looking forward to all this.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nice....
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
Apart from the RAM disk idea, it looks like they've been copying Nuendo a lot. Also nice to see they now use System 5s for demos instead of crappy old ICONs.

I also love the disclaimer at the start. Probably PT10 will be 64-bit and we'll have to wait another 10 years for all those other new things.
dont count out those old icons. They have a HUGE install base here in LA post world. I dont think you could swing a dead cat in a post house without hitting one. I would expect them to keep development and support going on these.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

They are definitely listening to the users since v9. All these improvements are really essential!

As for 64 bit, don't expect to run it anytime soon. Nuendo has had 64bit versions for I don't know how many years, and only now the major plugin developers have caught up, and there is still stuff that you can't find in 64bit.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Audiosuite Handles! Now if it only has bins... heh
Old 11th September 2011
MediaMix
Quote:
Originally Posted by danijel View Post
They are definitely listening to the users since v9. All these improvements are really essential!

As for 64 bit, don't expect to run it anytime soon. Nuendo has had 64bit versions for I don't know how many years, and only now the major plugin developers have caught up, and there is still stuff that you can't find in 64bit.
I fully expect waves and everyone else to be 64 bit when Pro Tools finally goes.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well done--esp the clip gain indep of fader auto and the no-render, no separate region fades.

phil p
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

I've only just upgraded to Pro Tools 9 & now this!! Amazing! Can't wait for it to be released. Really happy Avid is listening to the customers.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

finally 64 bit. last of the DAWs ? oh no.. DP i think is still 32 bit.

but cool. and good they take from nuendo and logic. and viceversa of course.

evolution of the DAWs i guess. take what works and make it better or into its workflow.

not fully understanding the timeline on RAM. dunno if its a PT specific thing or other DAWs already do this.
dunno sure how its going to improve performance.? fade render time?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear
[QUOTEnot fully understanding the timeline on RAM. dunno if its a PT specific thing or other DAWs already do this.
dunno sure how its going to improve performance.? fade render time?[/QUOTE]

The audio in your session will be loaded into ram instead of being streamed off of your hard disk. Ram access is near instant. There should be great performance gains all around.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

As a long time Nuendo user and a Pro Tools Hd native owner, this looks like Nuendo style of editing features, and I, talking Nuendo 1.5 !!

I always felt that if Steinberg had enough balls to drop Cubase, and really put the financial muscle and marketing behind Nuendo, it would be the Daw leader.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaP View Post
[QUOTEnot fully understanding the timeline on RAM. dunno if its a PT specific thing or other DAWs already do this.
dunno sure how its going to improve performance.? fade render time?
The audio in your session will be loaded into ram instead of being streamed off of your hard disk. Ram access is near instant. There should be great performance gains all around.[/QUOTE]

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!! OMG< MYEEEESSSSSSHHHH!!!!
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
audiosuite handles! Now if it only has bins... Heh

give us bins!!!!!!!!!
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdpro View Post
As a long time Nuendo user and a Pro Tools Hd native owner, this looks like Nuendo style of editing features, and I, talking Nuendo 1.5 !!

I always felt that if Steinberg had enough balls to drop Cubase, and really put the financial muscle and marketing behind Nuendo, it would be the Daw leader.
Just for the record:

AVID had a DAW out with those features when Nuendo wasn´t even born and Cubase was a midi-only software.

It was called AudioVision and Digidesign killed it after buying it from AVID.

-clip editor that could cut up to 24-track-timelines.
-clip based volume
-clip based real time EQ
-bins
-EDL import
-auto scaleable wave forms
-non linear picture with bang-on sync behavior
-cut picture with audio
-user/project/sequence structure
-ADR functionality on board.
-flawless OMF transfer

all those things were available 20 years ago from AVID and even in the year 2011 none of the DAWs out there have caught up with that. Some have some of those features but most of them still lack many of those features.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
Just for the record:

AVID had a DAW out with those features when Nuendo wasn´t even born and Cubase was a midi-only software.

It was called AudioVision and Digidesign killed it after buying it from AVID.

-clip editor that could cut up to 24-track-timelines.
-clip based volume
-clip based real time EQ
-bins
-EDL import
-auto scaleable wave forms
-non linear picture with bang-on sync behavior
-cut picture with audio
-user/project/sequence structure
-ADR functionality on board.
-flawless OMF transfer

all those things were available 20 years ago from AVID and even in the year 2011 none of the DAWs out there have caught up with that. Some have some of those features but most of them still lack many of those features.
True, but imagine what an AV system would cost in 2011 dollars, especially if it had been updated to deal with all the features and compatos of PT9! It would be a boffo system but would be so expensive I don't think they'd sell very many of them when there are cheaper alternatives.

phil p
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
True, but imagine what an AV system would cost in 2011 dollars, especially if it had been updated to deal with all the features and compatos of PT9! It would be a boffo system but would be so expensive I don't think they'd sell very many of them when there are cheaper alternatives.

phil p
why would it be expensive? they had all the technology at their disposal and just stopped selling it. just because it was a competing app in their own company. an avid NLR cost some 100k$ at that time. now a current MC can be had for 2k. Why would something like an AV cost a furtune now? doesn't make sense to me.
in 1997 digi announced almost all of the AV features would be implemented in PT. this was when pt5 came out . 14 years later still no bins and most of the competing mfg have almost all those features built in. and when avid announces clip-based gain people react as if life has been discovered on mars...
Old 11th September 2011
Motown legend

Actually it was Avid who bought Digidesign but they didn't change the name until recently.

AudioVision didn't have any form of automation other than the clip gain and eq. The Pro Tools trim plug-in and trim tool makes setting region/clip gain utterly effortless so you can't really say they never implemented clip based volume but it will be nice to be able to import clip based volume settings from other applications.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Actually it was Avid who bought Digidesign but they didn't change the name until recently.

AudioVision didn't have any form of automation other than the clip gain and eq. The Pro Tools trim plug-in and trim tool makes setting region/clip gain utterly effortless so you can't really say they never implemented clip based volume but it will be nice to be able to import clip based volume settings from other applications.

"uttely effortless"? then why are so many people asking for clip based gain over at ideascale? and why are people so exited that clip based gain is announced when the trim plugin was utterly effortless? acutally it is re-announced after 14 years ;-) lets see when it will be released.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Most of the catch-up features are necessary, not revolutionary, and I do hope none of the marketing people put out stupid claims that they are.

The RAM disk buffer for the session is new, and is a great idea. Background syncing to HD files, such as newly created audio suite files. Cool stuff. Sounds like a page from Final Cut Pro X's playbook. It's the background king atm.

We'll see what else they come up with. That code base of theirs might finally be clearing up a bit. At least I hope it is, and they can put good ideas in to action a little quicker.

Until it hits the user base however, I don't give a pair of dingos kidneys about Protools 10. It's all PR until then, no matter how much Avid has changed.
Old 11th September 2011
And Fairlight has had nearly all of those 'new' features for years...
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
why would it be expensive? they had all the technology at their disposal and just stopped selling it. just because it was a competing app in their own company. an avid NLR cost some 100k$ at that time. now a current MC can be had for 2k. Why would something like an AV cost a furtune now? doesn't make sense to me.
in 1997 digi announced almost all of the AV features would be implemented in PT. this was when pt5 came out . 14 years later still no bins and most of the competing mfg have almost all those features built in. and when avid announces clip-based gain people react as if life has been discovered on mars...
Well Mr. Q, why did it have to be so expensive back then? I don't know, you tell me! No Martian reaction from me about clip-based gain, lots of other DAWs have had it forever (incl more obscure ones like Sadie). I think most PT-drivers will be happy that they finally get this feature, whyever it took so long to add... And lots of current PT users were in diapers when AV was in use, and so don't care much about it either way. Don't you figure that if Digi COULD have integrated all that great AV stuff into PT they would have?

phil p
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
And Fairlight has had nearly all of those 'new' features for years...
when AV was alive the mxf only had clip based gain and real time eq. no NL picture you could edit. no clip editor. no bins. the dreadfull 4GB project size limitation not even mentioned ;-)

AV was in many ways ahead of time and sadly still is.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search