The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
64 bit Pro Tools 10 is coming. This is HUGE!
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

look at all these old men talking about old software heh

I kid I kid. you are all spring chickens!!!
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

It doesn't really matter who had what first, Pro Tools eclipsed all the other systems, at least in Hollywood. Avid didn't determine who would win out in the marketplace, it was all the buyers who decided that Pro Tools was the most advantageous workstation. There are a lot of different reasons why people might make that decision, some which have very little to do with functionality, but so what? What it is is where it's at.
Old 11th September 2011
I like that they are going to use the Euphonix eq's. You will also get a whole channel strip on an insert (trim/phase filp/eq/dynamics) rather than multiple plug ins.

Steph Carrier
Old 11th September 2011
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
... it was all the buyers who decided that Pro Tools was the most advantageous workstation. There are a lot of different reasons why people might make that decision, some which have very little to do with functionality,...
The big reasons were originally the dramatically lower cost of running multiple seats and accurate sync. By the time there was any competition on those points it had become a matter of compatibility and easy collaboration which will remain the case unless somebody comes up with something that is dramatically better. Even if that happens every pro operation will still need to keep a Pro Tools system around for years.

There's no substitute for simply having been first!
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Actually it was Avid who bought Digidesign but they didn't change the name until recently.

AudioVision didn't have any form of automation other than the clip gain and eq. The Pro Tools trim plug-in and trim tool makes setting region/clip gain utterly effortless so you can't really say they never implemented clip based volume but it will be nice to be able to import clip based volume settings from other applications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
"uttely effortless"? then why are so many people asking for clip based gain over at ideascale? and why are people so exited that clip based gain is announced when the trim plugin was utterly effortless? acutally it is re-announced after 14 years ;-) lets see when it will be released.
Not to mention there is only 6dB of gain with the Trim plug, and it is not sample accurate. In other words, you have to have made your automation move before the clip or risk the move happening late or causing a click. That is far from "utterly effortless" when you are in the trenches mixing a TV show or film and there is very little time to work and there is crap flying all over the place and production dialogue coming in at willy nilly levels.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
It doesn't really matter who had what first, Pro Tools eclipsed all the other systems, at least in Hollywood. Avid didn't determine who would win out in the marketplace, it was all the buyers who decided that Pro Tools was the most advantageous workstation. There are a lot of different reasons why people might make that decision, some which have very little to do with functionality, but so what? What it is is where it's at.
Gary, don't you think it also has to do with Digidesign demonstrating a greater level of support early on to Studio Sound Departments than the competition? They were kinda the first, but not entirely. They just had a larger presence. People can argue that DTS Theatrical sounds better, but when you have the boots on the ground support that Dolby gives, it has to be a factor. How many DTS techs were at Printmaster sessions on a regular basis? How much did Digi support the studios and large Hollywood facilites beyond what the competition was doing?

PT was first to establish itself. And there certainly is competition. I wouldn't say PT is better than Pyramix or Fairlight or Nuendo, and I do see the competition gaining ground especially as people become more independent. But many PT users don't see a real need to change or go through the expense and pain of changing.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

I can certainly attest to the efforts Digidesign put in in the late 90s and early 00s.

I certainly don't remember anyone else doing large conferences like the one in Berlin in 2000 either. Training sessions, industry meets, lots of suppliers and direct support. Turnkey systems like the Fairlights were stable and great, but the possiblities were just not as good as with Protools. It certainly was an editing dream to me. With a few loves and hates but hey, what isn't.

I'm glad they're actually improving Protools to be of higher practical value for editors and mixers. It puts the screws on everone and they'll put screws on every other manufacturer again. Competition.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

The clip gain + editable clip gain envelopes is exactly what Cubase has done for years and trust me, you guys will like it much more than any trim tool for random pre-FX gain edits... like de-essing and that kinda thing.

About time actually. I talked about it here about 3 years ago. Here it is in Cubase 8 years ago (down near the bottom of the review) ... http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov0.../cubasesx3.htm
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1145 View Post
Nice proof of PT evolving. However the features they have shown, a part from the RAM caching which is great, already exist elsewhere (OK, Nuendo).
Also I saw a short video of the S5-MC having EQ curves on the 408 for PT EQ. Once again, it already does that for Nuendo, and PT having EQ curves on the 408 display is a natural evolution of the system.

Looking forward to all this.
Thats why a lot of us Nuendo people have moved to PT I'm afraid. While Nuendo sits on there buts with their head in the sand, the competition copies what was once the reason to be on Nuendo why would anyone hang around at Nuendo when PT has Soooooooooo much more user base behind it.

RAM idea awesome
Real time fade yahoo missed it since moved from Nuendo

Feels more and more like home already
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedisteph View Post
I like that they are going to use the Euphonix eq's. You will also get a whole channel strip on an insert (trim/phase filp/eq/dynamics) rather than multiple plug ins.

Steph Carrier

I hadn't heard this... this is pretty cool, if it actually happens...

What's your source on this info?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

[/CODE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
look at all these old men talking about old software heh

I kid I kid. you are all spring chickens!!!

True, my age (others would call it experience ;-) ) is showing but sometimes I have to chuckle when 25 year old editor´s yaws drop when PT announces clip based gain and think Nuendo actually invented it.

I have no idea why but they are all just re-inventing the wheel and selling it as "revolutions" while actually still lacking what was available 20 years ago.

But it´s good to see that AVID is finally catching up with ergonomic features instead of yet more VIs and stuff...
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
yeah im wondering how my quad 2.66 macpro will handle these things. I only have 6gb of ram right now I will need to bump this up another 8gigs to 14gigs and see if the cpu can handle it otherwise I will be in the market for a newish macpro.
You have to take 3 modules of the same size since the quad 2.66 uses "triple channel" mode for maximum performance.
Old 12th September 2011
In Sonar I see my remote controller is not working in 64 bit. It's remote controll DLL does not work in this invironment. I do hope HUI will be ported to 64 bit. But I fear with big fears this might be end of the line of many third party remote controllers & Protools....
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

Question: So say for instance my session file is 2GB in total and i have 8GB of ram does this take from my processing power im confused on this load into ram thing can someone elaborate for me?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Gary, don't you think it also has to do with Digidesign demonstrating a greater level of support early on to Studio Sound Departments than the competition? They were kinda the first, but not entirely. They just had a larger presence. People can argue that DTS Theatrical sounds better, but when you have the boots on the ground support that Dolby gives, it has to be a factor. How many DTS techs were at Printmaster sessions on a regular basis? How much did Digi support the studios and large Hollywood facilites beyond what the competition was doing?

PT was first to establish itself. And there certainly is competition. I wouldn't say PT is better than Pyramix or Fairlight or Nuendo, and I do see the competition gaining ground especially as people become more independent. But many PT users don't see a real need to change or go through the expense and pain of changing.
That's kind of my point, that advantage doesn't always equate better functionality. Cost, support, the financial health of the company and other factors unrelated to functionality are very important considerations.

Regarding PT10, I like what I'm hearing about the new features, I just hope there is backwards compatability. Will PT10 edit sessions play back on dub stages at facilities that have invested heavily in current TDM technology? Will the fades work? What will happen to the clip based automation? Hopefully Avid has thought these issues through.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Not to mention there is only 6dB of gain with the Trim plug, and it is not sample accurate.
FYI- You can set the trim plug-in (If that is what you are referring to) to 6 or 12 db of gain. And as far as automation not being sample accurate, I'm not sure what you mean.

Best.
AD
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
A trusted colleague of mine was on the phone with Avid yesterday trying to sort out a PT 9HD upgrade and the rep told him that "he might want to wait beacuse a new version of PT was coming out in 4-6 weeks". I find that Avid reps are usually VERY tight lipped about new products.

This thing may be out sooner than we think...
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaP View Post
A trusted colleague of mine was on the phone with Avid yesterday trying to sort out a PT 9HD upgrade and the rep told him that "he might want to wait beacuse a new version of PT was coming out in 4-6 weeks". I find that Avid reps are usually VERY tight lipped about new products.

very interesting...
BTW
what are "bins"
gubins?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
"bins" would be a system of folders to organize the file regions list on the right hand side of the screen. It can get crazy.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

merci
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

For anyone that has never played with nuendo.. you will love these features.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airon View Post
Turnkey systems like the Fairlights were stable and great, but the possiblities were just not as good as with Protools.
Ehhhh, that's not the way I remember it. I'm sure many Fairlight systems are great, but the last one I worked on was so tempermental, I brought in a little Mix system and a Mackie 1202 so that I could actually get some work done. It was a turnkey nightmare for me.....

Looking forward to PT10, but I'm not sure how the clip based auto will impact me. I never knew I needed it. heh heh
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adogg4629 View Post
FYI- You can set the trim plug-in (If that is what you are referring to) to 6 or 12 db of gain. And as far as automation not being sample accurate, I'm not sure what you mean.

Best.
AD
Sure, I know. And with the Time Adjuster, you get 24dB.

What I mean is, the automation is not as fast a volume automation. Try it. Record some tweaky volume automation over a complicated clip. Now copy it, then paste that to the Trim Plugin and see what happens. For simple up and down the trim plugin is ok. For more complicated auto, it is too slow.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzler View Post
You have to take 3 modules of the same size since the quad 2.66 uses "triple channel" mode for maximum performance.
I have the 2006 quad 2.66. This model was before the triple channel memory, I believe. DDR2-fbdimm. I only have 2 spots open so in will go 2 4gb sticks.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaP View Post

131st AES convention October 20-23, 2011
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Looking forward to PT10, but I'm not sure how the clip based auto will impact me. I never knew I needed it. heh heh
That is often the case with the best features! :-D

Alistair
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

anyone else love the disclaimer "heres' some cool stuff we can do, but may not release" Damn lawyers!

BUT HOORAY FOR CLIP BASED GAIN AND AUDIOSUITE HANDLES AND REAL TIME FADES!!!!

Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

All I need is 64 bit!!!!!!!!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

All I need is to be independently wealthy.heh
Old 12th September 2011
Administrator

Quote:
All I need is to be independently wealthy.heh
I hear that!

Graham

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search