The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PT 9 versus HD Native
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head

PT 9 versus HD Native

I run PT 9 using a new quad mac pro desktop, rme fireface uc, mixing and tracking entirely itb with waves plugins and some external eventide effects, everything clocking at 48khz.

my simple question is this: is there a discernible difference (advantage) to moving to HD native in terms of mixing performance and final product? Perhaps there are advantages to using hd i/o - I get that - but I was trying to stay away from the hardware differences and focus simply on Hd native versus 9. in the end, though, perhaps you cannot seperate the hardware and software in the discussion and need to think of the move to hd as a package....
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorserocks View Post
I run PT 9 using a new quad mac pro desktop, rme fireface uc, mixing and tracking entirely itb with waves plugins and some external eventide effects, everything clocking at 48khz.

my simple question is this: is there a discernible difference (advantage) to moving to HD native in terms of mixing performance and final product? Perhaps there are advantages to using hd i/o - I get that - but I was trying to stay away from the hardware differences and focus simply on Hd native versus 9. in the end, though, perhaps you cannot seperate the hardware and software in the discussion and need to think of the move to hd as a package....
The HDNative PCI-e system allows the full HD feature set, so PT9 has some limitations by comparison. As you may know PT9 is limited to 32 I/O with your Core Audio or ASIO drivers, so this is one important difference. You can get the Complete Production tool kit, which will be exactly the same as HDNative's Feature set, minus some tricks and trimmings. So when you compare that, you are at a reasonable cost for the PCI-e card, for what it does/adds to the party.

As well, there are some slight differences with the HD Native system, compared to PT9+CPTK - as HDNative uses a 64 Bit Floating Point Mix engine [with 32 Bit Float for DSP] with Input Monitoring and a Low Latency Mixing System, powered by a FPGA on the card and controlled/seamlessly tied into the PTHD environment.

Many of our clients are reporting great headroom differences for sub-grouping stems and mixing inside the computer with HDnative. I have also noticed this attribute when using the system, but I think it is highly subjective between other DAW's and PT9 without HD interfaces. Also, the huge bonus of 64 I/O, with very low latency, and stable DAE audio engine, along with sample accurate link to HD Interfaces.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search