The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AVID HD I/O Vs LYNX AROURA 16
Old 12th October 2010
  #1
Gear Addict
 

AVID HD I/O Vs LYNX AROURA 16

OK ..... so If were going to be buy'in this HD Native card ...
we need to know about the relative info about the I/O available ...

HD Native core + HD I/O 16×16 analog = US$7995
HD Native core + Lynx Aurora 16 + LT-HD = US$6845

these are close in price , has anyone heard both ?
Old 13th October 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Got both Avid HD 16/16 and Aurora 16

But i really digging Avid HD 16/16 much more detailed, sound very very nice
Aurora is how ever a very good interface but i have to say a step down
Old 13th October 2010
  #3
Gear Addict
 
Chris G's Avatar
 

I believe the Avid 16 i and out is just that 16 in and out, but the Lynx is actually 32 in and out. 16 analog and 16 digital.

My money might be on the Lynx simply because I can still easily use it with Reason, Ableton, and others non-rewire, and not have to use digi's crappy digicore.
Old 13th October 2010
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
Mafiso's Avatar
One thing to think about is the additional digital inputs you get with the lynx...I know it doesn't have anything to do with sound, but it adds value.
Old 13th October 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 

AVID HD I/O Vs LYNX AROURA 16

Yep, to replace my lynx I would need an hd16 16 and an hd digital. So you'd need to adjust accordingly.
Old 13th October 2010
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
I believe the Avid 16 i and out is just that 16 in and out, but the Lynx is actually 32 in and out. 16 analog and 16 digital.

My money might be on the Lynx simply because I can still easily use it with Reason, Ableton, and others non-rewire, and not have to use digi's crappy digicore.
So you'd buy another PCIe card like the Lynx AES range, just so you didn't have to use the Avid Coreaudio drivers?! (which no-one has yet tested for PT native....which will let you use the full i/o of the product)

You can't have the FW option AND the PT option fitted at once.
Old 13th October 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
ddageek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
So you'd buy another PCIe card like the Lynx AES range, just so you didn't have to use the Avid Coreaudio drivers?! (which no-one has yet tested for PT native....which will let you use the full i/o of the product)

You can't have the FW option AND the PT option fitted at once.
your right but what I have seen often is Logic on another Computer with say a Lynx or RME AES card using the AES inputs!Its stupid but then its what people do!
Old 13th October 2010
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
So you'd buy another PCIe card like the Lynx AES range, just so you didn't have to use the Avid Coreaudio drivers?! (which no-one has yet tested for PT native....which will let you use the full i/o of the product)

You can't have the FW option AND the PT option fitted at once.
I'm an Aroura16 user and I do not understand what you're saying. Do you mean that I would be able to use all 32 i/o inside PT? Can you describe the physical routing? Obviously the first 16 i/o would go thru the HD-LT card, but how do the remaining 16 digital connect to PT without an additional interface or 192?
Old 13th October 2010
  #9
Gear Addict
 

the Lynx is 16 analog I/O 16 AES I/O ... 32 in all ...

the Avid HDI/O is 16 analog I/O , 2 AES , 2 SPDIF , 8 Adat .. 28 in all ..

its kinda close on the I/O front ..
Old 13th October 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 

AVID HD I/O Vs LYNX AROURA 16

No. The hd interfaces have 16 channels each way. You can assign them to be analogue or digital but you can't use all at once. Caveat: I'm not sure if the 2 channel AES that exists outside of the main 8 channel blocks can be added to make 18 or whether you need to have that replace another pair. Perhaps someone could clarify.

The lynx appears to PT as 2x192's with a total of sixteen channels each. You can have all 16 analogue ins, all 16 outs, all 16 AES ins and all 16 AES outs at the same time. When you consider the sound quality and 1u size it really is the best value option for quality pt hd io by a mile.

J
Old 14th October 2010
  #11
Gear Addict
 

are you sure about the Avid HDI/O only having 16 simultaneous I/Os ?

I thought the ports on the HD native card are 32 I/O each ?
Old 14th October 2010
  #12
Gear Addict
 

Ok I've just had a look at the HD I/O manual ...

and yep its 16 simultaneous I/Os ...

can't quite see in the manual if the AES is separate , but I think maybe it is ...

So the Lynx wins on the I/O by miles ...

and possibly the HD I/O on sound quality ?
Attached Thumbnails
AVID HD I/O Vs LYNX AROURA 16-hdi-o.jpg  
Old 14th October 2010
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ruston View Post
No. The hd interfaces have 16 channels each way. You can assign them to be analogue or digital but you can't use all at once. Caveat: I'm not sure if the 2 channel AES that exists outside of the main 8 channel blocks can be added to make 18 or whether you need to have that replace another pair. Perhaps someone could clarify.

The lynx appears to PT as 2x192's with a total of sixteen channels each. You can have all 16 analogue ins, all 16 outs, all 16 AES ins and all 16 AES outs at the same time. When you consider the sound quality and 1u size it really is the best value option for quality pt hd io by a mile.

J
The 2-channel AES (otherwise known as AES enclosed) replaces one of the other channels - it's a different input option.
Old 14th October 2010
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPADUPA View Post
are you sure about the Avid HDI/O only having 16 simultaneous I/Os ?

I thought the ports on the HD native card are 32 I/O each ?
you can daisychain 2 HDi/os from one digilink port on the native card, to give 4 x HD16s and 64i/o.
Old 14th October 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Yuri Kogan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
you can daisychain 2 HDi/os from one digilink port on the native card, to give 4 x HD16s and 64i/o.
Can you definitely confirm that?
Old 14th October 2010
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Yeah that's right. You hang two off each port. Your spend is huge vs the lynx. The advantage of the hd io is the faster latency (lynx is identical to 192 so delay compensation works correctly) and possibly sound quality but there's not really enough feedback on that yet. I'm waiting to hear them.
Old 14th October 2010
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
Can you definitely confirm that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ruston View Post
Yeah that's right. You hang two off each port. Your spend is huge vs the lynx. The advantage of the hd io is the faster latency (lynx is identical to 192 so delay compensation works correctly) and possibly sound quality but there's not really enough feedback on that yet. I'm waiting to hear them.
As Jack says really....it's how it works in HD TDM, and since it's 64i/o with HD Native, it's pretty much a given that that's how it works!
Old 14th October 2010
  #18
Lives for gear
 
RonT's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
So you'd buy another PCIe card like the Lynx AES range, just so you didn't have to use the Avid Coreaudio drivers?! (which no-one has yet tested for PT native....which will let you use the full i/o of the product)

You can't have the FW option AND the PT option fitted at once.
I have seen this.

2XAurora Lynx 16 with crossover cables connecting the AES to each others ins and outs.

1 fitted with LT-HD connected to HD card
1 fiteed with LT-FW connected to computer

This gives PTHD a 32 analog i/o and other DAW of choice 32 analog i/o.

Sounds sweet and a breeze to use Any DAW of choice including PTHD.
Old 14th October 2010
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Steamy Williams's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
I have seen this.

2XAurora Lynx 16 with crossover cables connecting the AES to each others ins and outs.

1 fitted with LT-HD connected to HD card
1 fiteed with LT-FW connected to computer

This gives PTHD a 32 analog i/o and other DAW of choice 32 analog i/o.

Sounds sweet and a breeze to use Any DAW of choice including PTHD.
I found that the LT-FW wasn't even stable enough to support the bandwidth required by one Aurora 16, so I find it hard to imagine it accommodating two of them. That was actually one of the reasons I moved from a native setup to Pro Tools|HD, and swapped the LT-FW for the LT-HD.
Old 14th October 2010
  #20
Lives for gear
 
RonT's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Williams View Post
I found that the LT-FW wasn't even stable enough to support the bandwidth required by one Aurora 16, so I find it hard to imagine it accommodating two of them. That was actually one of the reasons I moved from a native setup to Pro Tools|HD, and swapped the LT-FW for the LT-HD.
Might be the case, it was setup this way though. He didn't have any problems.

Lynx LT-FW FireWire L-slot Interface Features:
  • Two FireWire 400 (IEEE-1394a) ports
  • Up to 32 channels of analog and digital I/O at 96 kHz
  • Works with Apple and Windows PCs, including laptops, with compatible FireWire receivers
  • Supports ASIO and WDM for Windows and CoreAudio for Mac OSX
  • All relevant settings, such as sample rate selection, sync source selection, channel routing, latency, and buffer size are enabled, controlled and monitored from the host computer
  • Full WDM implementation allows multiple channel support of 5.1 and 7.1 surround playback formats
  • The two FireWire connectors will allow daisy chaining of LT-FW equipped Aurora converters
  • Easily installed into Aurora converters
  • Ideal for in-studio or remote recording applications
  • US Suggested Retail Price $595. RoHS compliant
  • Manufactured in the USA by Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Old 19th October 2010
  #21
Lives for gear
 
bannerj's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisse Hult View Post
But i really digging Avid HD 16/16 much more detailed, sound very very nice
Aurora is how ever a very good interface but i have to say a step down
I'm behind on the learning curve here. Are you talking about the HD3 16/16 here or the HD native? The native hasn't been released yet right?

Further question...will the HD native Omni interface have a conversion quality that is similar or better than Lynx Aurora?

I'm wondering about the Aurora 16 as a front end too instead of the HD Omni.
Old 19th October 2010
  #22
Lives for gear
 

Early reports on the Omni, and the other new HD interfaces is that that the conversion quality is truly next generation - better than the Apogee AD/DA16x, etc.
Old 19th October 2010
  #23
Is everybody very reluctant to use the ASIO or CoreAudio drivers for the HDN card to use other hosts or am I missing something?
Old 19th October 2010
  #24
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
I believe the Avid 16 i and out is just that 16 in and out, but the Lynx is actually 32 in and out. 16 analog and 16 digital.

My money might be on the Lynx simply because I can still easily use it with Reason, Ableton, and others non-rewire, and not have to use digi's crappy digicore.
Unless you have used Native, you have not used "digi's crappy digicore"

TH
Old 20th October 2010
  #25
AVID HD I/O Vs LYNX AROURA 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS
Is everybody very reluctant to use the ASIO or CoreAudio drivers for the HDN card to use other hosts or am I missing something?
If they are, it's only based on past experience. By which I mean no-ones used the new drivers yet so can't judge on present experience.

Personally I've had no issues with avid coreaudio.
Old 20th October 2010
  #26
Gear Addict
 
Convectuoso's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Early reports on the Omni, and the other new HD interfaces is that that the conversion quality is truly next generation - better than the Apogee AD/DA16x, etc.
Sources? Proof?

Old 20th October 2010
  #27
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convectuoso View Post
Sources? Proof?

I bought the Omni a couple weeks ago and it is totally killer, sounds nothing like the Digi interfaces of old. Happy as a lark here.

TH
Old 20th October 2010
  #28
Lives for gear
 

Well, one of my dealers was telling me about the feedback he's getting from customers and it's really good.

And everyone who has it seems to be using words like "beautiful", "fantastic", "amazing", as opposed to "this sounds really good".
Old 20th October 2010
  #29
Registered User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
I bought the Omni a couple weeks ago and it is totally killer, sounds nothing like the Digi interfaces of old. Happy as a lark here.

TH
That is great news. It's a shame the Omni is limited to 8 inputs, I'm looking at upgrading from a 003 setup and am not really keen on giving up the extra inputs as I still track the occasional live band.

Of course there are other interfaces available but they blow my budget considerations right out of the water. About the closest I think I can get is adding a 96 I/O to the Omni. Still trying to do the math on price vs. features and I won't really know the answer until the Native bundle street prices are available.
Old 21st October 2010
  #30
Gear Nut
 

AVID HD I/O Vs LYNX AROURA 16

I plan on grabbing two auroras for 64i/o. Seems like the best option really. 2ru spaces, quality conversion and cheaper.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump