The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AVID HD I/O Vs LYNX AROURA 16
Old 21st November 2010
Gear Addict

When I first got my lynx 16, I still had my apogees (Rosetta 800). I printed a mix using both through the same chain (8 outs into outboard and a fulcrom into a 2 buss analog chain). There was very little difference but I felt that the Apogee print had a touch more clarity and depth. Certainly no difference in overall eq curve though (ie no bottom end lightness in the lynx).
Old 27th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Abraham View Post
When I first got my lynx 16, I still had my apogees (Rosetta 800). I printed a mix using both through the same chain (8 outs into outboard and a fulcrom into a 2 buss analog chain). There was very little difference but I felt that the Apogee print had a touch more clarity and depth. Certainly no difference in overall eq curve though (ie no bottom end lightness in the lynx).
I would agree with the depth thing, but not the clarity thing. Rosetta sounds a little jittery in kind of a flattering way, but not necessarily accurate.

I feel like the very very bottom of the Lynx Aurora is a little lighter than a few other converters I've had here (Cranesong Hedd, Fred Forssell MADA) but not in a way that made me really care that much. I used the Lynx as my only converter when I first started mastering, and everyone loved the sound I was getting.
Old 27th November 2010
Gear Head

Buy the Symphony I/O and be happy.
Old 13th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post

I feel like the very very bottom of the Lynx Aurora is a little lighter than a few other converters I've had here (Cranesong Hedd, Fred Forssell MADA) but not in a way that made me really care that much. I used the Lynx as my only converter when I first started mastering, and everyone loved the sound I was getting.
Totally agree.

The bass of the HD I/O sounds a little emphazised. Very nice and impressive though, but maybe not closer to the analog original if compared with the ADDA converted signal. At 176 k the Lynx together with the Grimm Clock is definitely in the same league with the new Avid.
Old 25th April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvan View Post
They don't.

They most certainly do convert lighter in the lower octave...have have a bump at 300 and 2.5

this is slight stuff, but that is my experience owning one for a year and a half..

PS who uses 176 or whatever it is?
Old 30th May 2011
Gear Nut

I run PTHD 9 with the new OMNI HD, sounds killer. Never heard the Lynx with it though.
Old 28th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ruston View Post
No. The hd interfaces have 16 channels each way. You can assign them to be analogue or digital but you can't use all at once. Caveat: I'm not sure if the 2 channel AES that exists outside of the main 8 channel blocks can be added to make 18 or whether you need to have that replace another pair. Perhaps someone could clarify.

The lynx appears to PT as 2x192's with a total of sixteen channels each. You can have all 16 analogue ins, all 16 outs, all 16 AES ins and all 16 AES outs at the same time. When you consider the sound quality and 1u size it really is the best value option for quality pt hd io by a mile.

J

Very true I love my new HD avid i/o. its awesome. Had many brands, symphony I/O, x series, mytek 8x 192, the lynx 16, this is my favorite so far. As for the bumped bass on the avid comment. I can't agree. That is more an Apogee thing IMHO.
Old 14th August 2011
Lives for gear

as per RonT comment quoted below could you do this with the DA 16X's?

i dont need the AD's i just need the DA's
Old 14th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
I have seen this.

2XAurora Lynx 16 with crossover cables connecting the AES to each others ins and outs.

1 fitted with LT-HD connected to HD card
1 fiteed with LT-FW connected to computer

This gives PTHD a 32 analog i/o and other DAW of choice 32 analog i/o.

Sounds sweet and a breeze to use Any DAW of choice including PTHD.
YEAH!!! thats what i wanted to hear....

what other converters are out there with 16 DA's and a pro tools connector option?

lynx, apogee, anything else?

i would expect the lynx to run hotter than anything else. its 16 channels of ADDA. no body else is packing that many converter circuits in such a confined space are they?
Old 14th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
I have seen this.

2XAurora Lynx 16 with crossover cables connecting the AES to each others ins and outs.

1 fitted with LT-HD connected to HD card
1 fiteed with LT-FW connected to computer

This gives PTHD a 32 analog i/o and other DAW of choice 32 analog i/o.

Sounds sweet and a breeze to use Any DAW of choice including PTHD.
YEAH!!! thats what i wanted to hear....
Old 7th October 2011
Here for the gear

Hello,
any more experiences comparing the new avid i/o with the aurora?
Is it worth the investment?
Thanks
Old 30th December 2011
Here for the gear

Lynx Aurora 16 vs AVID I/O 16 x 16

You're right that the Avid I/O although slightly tighter does not really have 16 in and 16 out especially if you try to use it with either a Native card or a HDX card. Native will only see 8 ins and 8 outs the rest are reserved and digicore drive will not allow you to have any more than that. Also the AVID I/O is really not that much cleaner than the Aurora if anything Aurora sounds cleaner and more transparent to me than the AVID I/O. Aurora still works with the new HDX Card (s) but once you connect you have to physically disconnect the digi mini cable to return to Native mode. Aurora does see 16 in and 16 out at the same time .. This is great if you are using the In I/O for summing or have a ton of outboard gear. Its flawless and their drivers are fully Lion compatible. Have had several issues with the AVID and Lion but none with the Lynx. So my final analysis if you are not working in Native environment such as Logic, Cubase, Ableton, or DP than you might like the AVID gear just because of the tighter low end .However if you want trouble free and great performance which rivals I think the AVID than Aurora is way way better.
Old 5th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbarona View Post
However if you want trouble free and great performance which rivals I think the AVID than Aurora is way way better.
...nonsense...I've had PLENTY of trouble with my lynx stuff...It's not great sounding, to be frank, and the AES card/software is OK...not amazing...good bang for your buck, but NOT on par with the NEW Avid boxes....more channels doesn't mean better...and remember you get what you pay for!
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbarona View Post
You're right that the Avid I/O although slightly tighter does not really have 16 in and 16 out especially if you try to use it with either a Native card or a HDX card. Native will only see 8 ins and 8 outs the rest are reserved and digicore drive will not allow you to have any more than......
My HD I/O has 16 ins and outs......?????? All usable, ...soooo....what was your point again?
Old 15th January 2012
Gear Maniac

getting deeper into the Avid I/O...the lynx just doesn't hold up...missing lots in the lower octave, upper mids very harsh in comparison....Avid just sounds more defined top to bottom..no hyping anywhere...no BS...just attach it to the card and go!
Old 30th January 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNew View Post
Buy the Symphony I/O and be happy.
whatarya kidding?..have you seen the epic number of problems this unit has had since release...a year and counting and it only just seems that the thing isstarting to be usable...does it work with PT yet??..wasn't even usable with it's own "Symphony" card for a while......they should have never discontinued the "x" stuff...it is their best work.
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnow View Post
whatarya kidding?..have you seen the epic number of problems this unit has had since release...a year and counting and it only just seems that the thing isstarting to be usable...does it work with PT yet??..wasn't even usable with it's own "Symphony" card for a while......they should have never discontinued the "x" stuff...it is their best work.
I hear nothing but praise for the Symphony, and I hear about plenty of problems with HD Native, Omni fans, etc. Everything has problems. Adam from Mercenary was using it in USB mode with Logic on a heavy session recently and it worked great. With USB for heaven's sake. Less than half the price of going with an Omni for instance, because as usual the Omni traps you into buying even MORE hardware (Native card or HDX).
Old 17th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
I hear nothing but praise for the Symphony, and I hear about plenty of problems with HD Native, Omni fans, etc. Everything has problems. Adam from Mercenary was using it in USB mode with Logic on a heavy session recently and it worked great. With USB for heaven's sake. Less than half the price of going with an Omni for instance, because as usual the Omni traps you into buying even MORE hardware (Native card or HDX).
Hey Oceantracks, just to set the record straight here please,

On March of last year "Adam from Mercenary" died a quick death, cause this here Adam took his Apogee Hardware [and his name] of the premises of that dried up hack shop.

I hear you can still email 'adam @ mercenary", and get some bonehead, jagg bagg on the other end trying hard to sell you something he ain't never used.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Hey Oceantracks, just to set the record straight here please,

On March of last year "Adam from Mercenary" died a quick death, cause this here Adam took his Apogee Hardware [and his name] of the premises of that dried up hack shop.

I hear you can still email 'adam @ mercenary", and get some bonehead, jagg bagg on the other end trying hard to sell you something he ain't never used.
Tell us how you really feel!!! heh
Old 11th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
Very true I love my new HD avid i/o. its awesome. Had many brands, symphony I/O, x series, mytek 8x 192, the lynx 16, this is my favorite so far. As for the bumped bass on the avid comment. I can't agree. That is more an Apogee thing IMHO.
DONNX, interesting to hear your feedback on the various convertors. I've been a happy Lynx Aurora user for years and was wondering about the new HD I/Os. Assuming the OMNI has the same quality as it's big brother, that box may do fine for my overdub room.
Old 27th August 2019
7+1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
DONNX, interesting to hear your feedback on the various convertors. I've been a happy Lynx Aurora user for years and was wondering about the new HD I/Os. Assuming the OMNI has the same quality as it's big brother, that box may do fine for my overdub room.
Would like to revive this if possible. Has anyone had a good chance to make a decision on which converter sounds better. The original Lynx Aurora or the HD i/o?

Very curious..
Old 27th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7+1 View Post
Would like to revive this if possible. Has anyone had a good chance to make a decision on which converter sounds better. The original Lynx Aurora or the HD i/o?

Very curious..
I sold my Lynx years ago and have been a happy user of the Avid HD I/O's (32ch analog). They sound fantastic to me and are no compromise IMO.
Old 27th August 2019
7+1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
I sold my Lynx years ago and have been a happy user of the Avid HD I/O's (32ch analog). They sound fantastic to me and are no compromise IMO.
Thanks for the info. I have both the Lynx and 3 HD ios.. and a JCF. The later being impeccable compared to the others.. I havent had any time to try listening to the lynx vrs the HD i/o and was curious if anyone else has...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7+1 View Post

Very curious..
Are you talking newer Aurora or first Gen? I only have experience with the First Gen Aurora's. I owned an Aurora 8 and a 16 at one point that I bought to replace my 192 I/O's. This was still TDM days. At that time, between, 192's, Aurora's, and AD/DA-16's, the Apogee AD/DA 16's were the best, then Aurora, followed by 192. This was all subjective, but seemed to be the consensus back then.

Today, I use an Avid Omni, and a pair of AD/DA 16's (Protools HD Native). My omni is used for tracking the more important Tracks/Channels, then the Apogee's are used for the rest.

So if you are asking if Gen 1 Lynx Aurora's are as good or better than existing Avid HD I/O's, my answer is no. HD I/O's are better sounding. I plan to upgrade my AD/DA 16's to Avid 16 I/O's at some point down the road as the prices have been dropping a lot over the last year or so.

Current versions of both the Aurora as well as Apogee Symphony are on a different level from what I've read.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search