The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cant read SD2 X pro tool (mac) files on my pC?
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Addict

Cant read SD2 X pro tool (mac) files on my pC?

I used to use Pro Tools HD on a Mac which I sold a few years ago and as I suspected I now need to access some audio files from some of those old sessions.

Anyway, Ive got the software Mac drive which allows me to install the old hard drive Mac in to my PC and allows me to see all the files.

However, ity seems I recorded most of my sessions in SD2 (sound designer 2) format and I cant get any of my PC software to read any of the audio files. Ive tried changing the extensions to .Wav, or Aif, but no luck.

I cant even get sound forge to recognise the files

Does anyone know of a solution?

PS
I have a logic dongle, does anyone know if Logic 5 can read SD2 files?I dont have Logic 5 though but at least it can run on a PC
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

SDII has reversed bytes compared to Wav. SDII files store information in the resource fork. That information can get lost when the files are copied over to a PC
drive.
I believe for the files to be read correctly, they must be stored in HFS+ format.

ruudman
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Addict

Aaaaaagh, what a ******** format SD2 is then. No doubt this was Apples attempt at being cool or something......

I thought I had seen the back of digidesign for good

So, I guess my only option is to hire somewhere with a tools setup.

All Iwanted was the untreated audio files.

Damn Damn Damn

This is what happens when we get involved in closed systems......

PS
Im not angry at you btw. I appreciate you taking the time to answer
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisac

Aaaaaagh, what a ******** format SD2 is then. No doubt this was Apples attempt at being cool or something......

Damn Damn Damn

This is what happens when we get involved in closed systems......

Not a biggy but SD2 format was originally developed by Digidesign not Apple.
If you had an HD system you also had the option of file format choice including Wav. and exporting allows for Wav. and AIFF. You also had the option of saving with Mac/PC compatibility.
Unfortunately, while Macs are able to see PC files, PC's do not reciprocate.

Not a big deal. Find someone with a Mac and an audio program that can convert files.
Doesn't even have to be PT. Peak could work. Convert the files to Wav. format and save them to your firewie drive. Open your firewire drive on your PC and you should be there.

Good luck.
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Addict

Hi Pitman, your right of course about Digidesign being the SD2 developers. I think probably at the time I thought that since it was their software snd SD11 was their design it would be better....Hey I was totally brand new to digital, what did I know

Anyway, GOOD NEWS for anyone who might get the same situation. A helpful chap over at the DUC pointed me in the direction of this http://www.railjonrogut.com/ who happens to be an even more helpful chap

Hes designed a few very useful bits of software one of which happens to be exactly what Im looking for called SD2towav. Perfect . But, he also has a nifty little app called wavsaver which might be able to repair corrupted wav files. I just happen to have a few wavs that are corrupteed. Theres no guarantess but at least I have hope now.

i know I sound like an ad for him. Im not, it sjust great to see people helping each other out when all around us there is so much nastyness in the world..

Im glad I dont need to go and hire a room now as well.

Old 14th July 2005
Gear Nut

Congrats!
I saw your post over on the DUC and subsequently checked out his site.
There's a man that's thinking.

Good luck with it.
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

thumbsup

ruudman
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Addict

Three cheers for Ral.

Old 14th July 2005
Motown legend

PeeCee Pro Tools can read and convert SD2 files from an HFS disk. The latest versions can even read the session files.

Apple has been telling people that support for files that store data in the resource fork is going away since the early days of system 8. Unfortunately the word about avoiding SD2 hasn't gotten out very well.

The only professional standard, universally readable file format is broadcast wave. As far as I know literally everything but digital performer supports it natively.
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Addict

Surprised more people don't know about SD2WAV (command line) and GUI2WAV (er... GUI version):

http://www.io.com/~mcgriffy/audio/

From the site:

Quote:
This program is designed to convert Mac Sound Designer II files to wav files. Since all the metadata in an SDII file is in the resource fork, all we get on the PC side is the raw PCM data. So what this program really does is swap from Motorola to Intel byte order and add a wav file header using parameters that you give it.
Old 27th October 2014
Here for the gear

SDII files to my PC editing system>?

I have 80 Gb of prime sound FX from my long career in television..... everything is on my old G4 in SDII format. I've been out of the business for a few years and now am back in it. So the other day I decided to hook up a hybrid drive and get that library off of that old G4 and into my new PC based editing studio. I ran into the exact same thing, the pc doesnt even recognize the SDII files, I am not even trying to import them into protools, I just want to get the files onto my new editing machine. I managed to get all the files onto a portable HD but then when i plug that HD into my PC it sees them, and agrees to copy them, but the copy function takes just seconds and then it creates a bunch of empty folders.

Is my only option to batch convert all of these files to .wav?

Does anyone know?

Dave
Old 27th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplanet View Post
I have 80 Gb of prime sound FX from my long career in television..... everything is on my old G4 in SDII format. I've been out of the business for a few years and now am back in it. So the other day I decided to hook up a hybrid drive and get that library off of that old G4 and into my new PC based editing studio. I ran into the exact same thing, the pc doesnt even recognize the SDII files, I am not even trying to import them into protools, I just want to get the files onto my new editing machine. I managed to get all the files onto a portable HD but then when i plug that HD into my PC it sees them, and agrees to copy them, but the copy function takes just seconds and then it creates a bunch of empty folders.

Is my only option to batch convert all of these files to .wav?

Does anyone know?

Dave
Yes. As soon as you copy the files to an HFS+ format drive, you effectively destroy them (unless you zip them first - what you had to do to email SD2 files back then!).

You need to open them on a Mac, and use a batch convert software to copy them over. OR maybe MacDrive (which used to come with the PC version of Pro Tools?) will let you open and convert them using your PC...but you'd need a batch convert software that read them, which might be tricky to find on PC.
Old 22nd April 2017
Here for the gear

I'm having a similar problem - demos I saved to an external drive from ProTools 1 on a Mac G3 ages ago. Not able to get them into my new ProTools 12 on the new MacBook Pro. What's the most efficient and or easiest way to get them converted / transferred over?
Old 23rd April 2017
Do you have any older versions of Pro Tools around? If you have a copy of Pro Tools 8 or 9 if I recall you can open an SD2 session and it'll convert the files for you.

Otherwise my (windows) app is still available for free.. but you'll have to relink the files.. so it's not the fastest method.. but it will work.

Rail

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search