The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digidesign Control 24... what do i need in addition?
Old 16th January 2009
Lives for gear

Digidesign Control 24... what do i need in addition?

Hi,

I´m not familiar with Digidesign setups, maybe you know...

I could get a good deal on a used Control 24,
what do i need more to keep it running?

I think i need a mac osx and LE is the cheaper option, but what do i need more?

Thanks!
Old 16th January 2009
Gear Nut

You'll need a Digidesign interface and Pro Tools software.If ya wanna go cheap then get an Mbox which comes with the software.
Old 16th January 2009
Lives for gear

besides the computer and pt le? an ethernet cable. the monitoring section sucks so youre probably better off using what you already have for that.

also if its one of the 1st generation control 24's and the power supply hasnt failed yet, chances are it will soon.

t
Old 16th January 2009
Lives for gear

Other than a Digidesign interface, and your host computer, it's pretty straight forward.

Control 24
Interface (002,003,M-Box2/Pro, or HD 96i/o, 192i/o)
Ethernet cable
Host Computer (PC or Mac)
Pro Tools Software LE or HD

Great little board. Very flexible. Check to see if the PSU has been replaced.
Old 16th January 2009
Lives for gear

Thank you all,

so cheapest way would be mxbox-2 pro and use a pc.

Stupid question:

The Control 24 has mic amps,
but there are no ADs in, right?
The Ethernet conection is just for automation, right?
If i would like to record, i got to record with the m-box2, right?
Old 16th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Question before buying. . .

It's a red flag to me when I see you're spending $$$ on a control 24 when you don't even have a PT system to begin with. My question to you would be "What is your purpose in buying it? Or what audio need are you hoping to fulfill with this purchase?"

I own one of these and think it is great. However, it is a luxury item as far as studio gear is concerned. It's like owning a porsche. It looks impressive infront of the nice house where you live. At the same time, your not going to impress anyone or get many chicks if that nice house is your parents.

Preamps, mics, converters and a DAW is where I would put all of what you have to spend. Again, buying an Mbox to make your control 24 lights blink will be a huge regret.

One brief example. With an Mbox you will only be able to use 2 of the sixteen preamps on the control 24. What a waste.

Feel free to PM me. I would be happy to walk you through whether or not the Control 24 would be good for your audio needs. I recently just completed a seven year studio gear buying spree that is filled with lessons to learn from both my good choices and my mistakes. I'd be happy to help.
Old 16th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthemusic.com View Post
It's a red flag to me when I see you're spending $$$ on a control 24 when you don't even have a PT system to begin with. My question to you would be "What is your purpose in buying it? Or what audio need are you hoping to fulfill with this purchase?"

I own one of these and think it is great. However, it is a luxury item as far as studio gear is concerned. It's like owning a porsche. It looks impressive infront of the nice house where you live. At the same time, your not going to impress anyone or get many chicks if that nice house is your parents.

Preamps, mics, converters and a DAW is where I would put all of what you have to spend. Again, buying an Mbox to make your control 24 lights blink will be a huge regret.

One brief example. With an Mbox you will only be able to use 2 of the sixteen preamps on the control 24. What a waste.

Feel free to PM me. I would be happy to walk you through whether or not the Control 24 would be good for your audio needs. I recently just completed a seven year studio gear buying spree that is filled with lessons to learn from both my good choices and my mistakes. I'd be happy to help.
Thanks for your help,

my "house" is ok, why do i want it?

Well, at the momet i have a 40 channel modified D+R Console in my studio.
I never use it, maybe some channels for preamps, although its a good desk, eqs are notbad.
Well, witout the console it "doesn´t look like a studio."
At the moment i think about using D+R for FOH applications, i got a case for it and its a solid desk.
Well, but i need another fancy eye catcher, i know that this is kind of "stupid", but if clients come to my studio first time, they want to see a desk.
Ok, i got a great deal on Control 24, 1500€.
So i could put it in the studio.
I thought about getting protools some times ago, cause it has some good features, like beat detective or vocal align. I mixed with protools years ago at other studios and i´d like to use it sometimes. I normally use Cubase. Cubase 5 has the ability to export all tracks at once, so it would be easy to take these session into protools for some stuff. Protools has some plug-ins i´d like to test anyway.

Maybe i should get the cheapest M-Box, just for the software and 2 stereo outs, and do it. This would coast under 2k...., i´ll drink a beer and think about it..
Old 16th January 2009
Gear Head

yeah, if you were getting just an Mbox, get a Command 8. If you want more faders get a Pro Control.

If you still want a Control 24, then decide on getting a 002R or 003R then so you'll have more inputs.
Old 16th January 2009
Gear Maniac

That's what I figured. Aestetically it is pleasing to the eyes but based on what you are saying it still seems like maybe something else would better suit you.

If you aren't going to seriously mix using protools then I can't fathom why you would put that much money into a Digidesign specific digital controller. Based on your specs with the mbox, you won't have enough use of the pres(which are marginal at best), no use for the 5.1 monitoring system, no HD means no delay compensation, and depending on the CPU, barely enough power to run a decent low track # mix.

You might as well purchase a christmas tree, decorate it, and place it on top of your D&R. It will give the same effect.

All sarcasm aside, it sounds like you really want it, so my advice will probably fall by the wayside. It's a great digital console that will meet the needs you described when appropiately accomodating an HD system(with an interface and software put aside another $3500).

Best of luck.
Old 18th November 2014
Gear Maniac

If I don't want to use any of the preamps or track through the Control 24, do I need an Avid interface to use the Control 24? I only want to mix with the automated faders, and possibly use the knobs for panning and effects.

So can I just plug it in with an Ethernet cable and go?
Old 18th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLUX View Post
If I don't want to use any of the preamps or track through the Control 24, do I need an Avid interface to use the Control 24? I only want to mix with the automated faders, and possibly use the knobs for panning and effects.

Yeah, I have PT 10 with the Apollo interface. Under peripherals the PT software scans your ethernet and finds the Control 24 and initializes it. Then you can use it for automation without tracking through it. Just be aware that it doesn't work with PT11 or at least I haven't heard of anyone getting it to work. Maybe someone has and they'll chime in. I like mine. Have had it for years with no problems. My power supply was changed out before I bought it however.
L.
Old 18th November 2014
Quote:

The start of this thread is well out of date - there's no longer PT LE, and regular PT isn't tied to Avid interfaces.

So no - you don't need an avid interface. You will need some sort of interface, as the control 24 is not an interface itself.

The Control 24 is also unsupported with PT11 and onwards - it may not actually work at all, you'd need to check that if it's important to you.
Old 18th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the info folks. I haven't used Protools much since 1999, so I'm thinking of picking up a copy of 8HD on eBay for about $100. Or maybe I can find someone who wants to trade PT9HD for my Final Cut Studio 2 HD. I'm sure PT 10 is great, but at the moment I can't afford to drop that kinda cash. I'm fairly sure I'll be happy with any version

Last edited by eLUX; 18th November 2014 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 19th November 2014
Quote:
Thanks for the info folks. I haven't used Protools much since 1999, so I'm thinking of picking up a copy of 8HD on eBay for about $100. Or maybe I can find someone who wants to trade PT9HD for my Final Cut Studio 2 HD. I'm sure PT 10 is great, but at the moment I can't afford to drop that kinda cash. I'm fairly sure I'll be happy with any version
Don't forget you'll need an old enough computer to run 8HD...
Old 24th October 2015
Here for the gear

I'm sorry and i know i'm off topic but i couldn't find any post about track count using the control 24 so here it is. If your track count is more than 24 is there a way to still use the faders for the rest of the tracks or will i only be able to mix the first 24 tracks with the control 24 and the rest with the mouse? Thanks in advance.
Old 24th October 2015
You can scroll over in banks of 8, or nudge by one track at a time at the push of a button near the bottom right.
Old 24th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooney Heat View Post
I'm sorry and i know i'm off topic but i couldn't find any post about track count using the control 24 so here it is. If your track count is more than 24 is there a way to still use the faders for the rest of the tracks or will i only be able to mix the first 24 tracks with the control 24 and the rest with the mouse? Thanks in advance.
yes there is a bank button you can bank 8 faders at a time or one at a time
Old 24th October 2015
Gear Addict

Dude no charge for the following advice, you are getting a deal for a reason. Scrap the digi-what ever idea (that company been out of business for a decade already) and get an SSL Matrix ... Thank me later
Old 24th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalimo View Post
Dude no charge for the following advice, you are getting a deal for a reason. Scrap the digi-what ever idea (that company been out of business for a decade already) and get an SSL Matrix ... Thank me later
...6 years since the original post, hopefully he's worked out what to do by now...

digi was bought out by Avid, but they're not out of business.
Old 8th April 2016
Here for the gear

How can i connect my hardware gear keyboard, motif Rack Etc..... to my control 24 and my 192 interface? I also have a UAD apollo interface if that help thanks.
Old 8th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal LIfe View Post
How can i connect my hardware gear keyboard, motif Rack Etc..... to my control 24 and my 192 interface? I also have a UAD apollo interface if that help thanks.
I would suggest you start a new thread...with a detailed explanation of your setup and what you have, and what you want to achieve.

Your Apollo and the 192 won't work together for a start...
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hey guys
I too have bought a control 24 & 192 digital.
I know it's an old boy now but I fancy as much today as I did when I had first seen it in Turnkey @ Charing Cross.
I'm Logic Pro user & have been ever since logic 5.
I have a spare room that I plan to use as a second studio.
Other than pt10hd software what else can I get to keep this old beautiful beast alive and in top form?

I'd like to use the pt10 as a multi track machine.

Also for my second question...... I'm also trying to break into the mastering word but before I go back to night school I'd like to have all my toys readily available for this quest, so.......

If budget wasn't the issue which 3 top mastering eq's , comps & preamps would best suit a top end mastering studio? Please only name 3 of each because if it becomes more expensive than a Lamborghini....... I'll choose the Lamborghini instead.
Sexy girls love lambo's & I love sexy girls!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search