The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avid tricked me into losing my Pro Tools perpetual licence
Old 29th September 2020
Gear Nut
Avid tricked me into losing my Pro Tools perpetual licence

I own a perpetual licence, but according to Avid I "crossgraded" my license last year and lost my perpetual licence by doing so.

I have been renewing my annual subscription for support and upgrades for years but apparently last year I chose the wrong option when doing so.
I had no indication whatsoever that I was giving away my perpetual licence, how on earth I could have done so in the first place!!

How did I found out? Well my renewal was about to expire two days ago on the 28th, but I wasn't really in a rush cause I new based on previous years that I had a grace period after the expiration day to renew it.
But when I logged in I couldn't find a way to do so as previous years the only thing I found was an auto renewal slider with no pricing or details about it.

Then I decided to open a case with support this is a transcript of it and avid customer support reply (I will omit the customer support name)

Case Description:

Hi there,

I own a perpetual licence and I’m trying to renew my standard support subscription but I can’t. It says it has expire yesterday and also that the next payment is today, but other years I had 1 month grace period to renew it, the only option available is auto renewal but it doesn’t say how much this will be etc.

How can I proceed to just pay for the next year?

Many thanks

Current Response:

Entered on: 9/28/2020 5:48 PM Entered by: *****

Hi *****,

Thank you for contacting Avid Online Store Support.

Upon checking, it appears that your product was no longer a perpetual license since you have purchased a crossgrade last 9/29/2019. This traded in your perpetual license for a discounted subscription-based license.

However, it appears that you have turned OFF the auto-renewal of your subscription on 9/29/2019 and only turned it back ON on the same day of the renewal, hence why the subscription ended.

To continue using the product, you may proceed in purchasing a new license or a subscription.

Here's where you can purchase Pro Tools: https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...er=&store=shop

Thank you for your understanding, ****. Feel free to let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Warm regards,
Online Store | Avid Global Customer Care

Hi *****,

Thanks for your prompt response

What? It was never ever my intention to crossgrade my perpetual licence how on earth I could have done that? I used to pay £79 and last year was much more nearly £100.
Its insane. It must have been a mistake an error cause the website payment and renewals are quite confusing to say the least.

What shall I do?? How can I revert that? Will my Pro Tools stop working? This is a nightmare!!

I haven't got a reply after my last email. Needless to say I hardly had been able to sleep today.
I have been trying to contact them via phone all morning and its impossible to speak to someone, I also tried join the avid forum but I cant even register cause when I fill all the fields I constantly get this error The answer given for the random question was incorrect.

I went to open Pro Tools this morning and got this lovely message.. and I have so many on going projects to finish..
All I want is to recover my perpetual licence.

This situation is incredibly stressful..

Please any help/advise is really welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Avid tricked me into losing my Pro Tools perpetual licence-screen-shot-2020-09-29-08.20.13.jpg  
Old 29th September 2020
Lives for gear

I agree, it can be pretty confusing dealing with their various licensing and support schemes.

Unfortunately I think you'll find the information about what you were doing when you accidentally crossgraded to a subscription was there if perhaps not made unambiguously clear. The same "carrot on a stick" has been dangled in front of me so I know the process you would've gone through.

As such you're going to be at the mercy of Avid's customer service reps and have to see if there's anyway they can reverse the situation. Be nice and give them the sob story before getting mad if you can.
Old 29th September 2020
If they were a fair and decent company, an email to support and your original product would be reinstated. After all it was a mix up (let’s say it was), and the last thing a decent company would want to do is to end up with an unhappy client because of a mix up.
But they’re not called Avid for nothing and they’re not fair and decent. That reply from their support is kafkaesque. Sorry, you clicked the wrong button, this is the way things are now and you can’t to anything about it. This is why I stopped using Protools as soon as I could.
Old 29th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar View Post
I agree, it can be pretty confusing dealing with their various licensing and support schemes.

Unfortunately I think you'll find the information about what you were doing when you accidentally crossgraded to a subscription was there if perhaps not made unambiguously clear. The same "carrot on a stick" has been dangled in front of me so I know the process you would've gone through.

As such you're going to be at the mercy of Avid's customer service reps and have to see if there's anyway they can reverse the situation. Be nice and give them the sob story before getting mad if you can.
Thanks a lot for your reply truly appreciate some understanding right now, I feel physically ill to be honest..

I opened another case with support last night, still no reply as yet and also I finally managed to register and join the avid forum, but still waiting to be able to post, as I can't just yet, another hurdle, due to: If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by microwave View Post
If they were a fair and decent company, an email to support and your original product would be reinstated. After all it was a mix up (let’s say it was), and the last thing a decent company would want to do is to end up with an unhappy client because of a mix up.
But they’re not called Avid for nothing and they’re not fair and decent. That reply from their support is kafkaesque. Sorry, you clicked the wrong button, this is the way things are now and you can’t to anything about it. This is why I stopped using Protools as soon as I could.
Many thanks for your reply.
Absolutely spot on about the customer support kafkaesque reply.
I feel totally hopeless right now
Quote:
Originally Posted by osk View Post
Many thanks for your reply.
Absolutely spot on about the customer support kafkaesque reply.
I feel totally hopeless right now
I’m sorry, I can imagine how frustrating that is. Having taken a look at your studio, I can assume that you need Avid because of work, otherwise my suggestion would be to ditch them and go with another DAW.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by microwave View Post
I’m sorry, I can imagine how frustrating that is. Having taken a look at your studio, I can assume that you need Avid because of work, otherwise my suggestion would be to ditch them and go with another DAW.
Thanks again, my studio is small you might have seen "Other gear that I have used" with SSLs and the lot..
Nevertheless Pro Tools is my main DAW and yes I need it to go to those kind of studios where PT is standard to finish things off, to track etc, and also to work on my small facility.
I've got so many projects old and current on Pro Tools so speaking frankly avid has me by the balls ..
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks again, my studio is small you might have seen "Other gear that I have used" with SSLs and the lot..
Nevertheless Pro Tools is my main DAW and yes I need it to go to those kind of studios where PT is standard to finish things off, to track etc, and also to work on my small facility.
I've got so many projects old and current on Pro Tools so speaking frankly avid has me by the balls ..
Maybe you ask them to upgrade your old perpetual license to a perpetual license of the actual version of Protools for lets say 30-50% of the full price?

A decent company would look for a solution in this case. Good luck and message here if you find a solution.
Old 29th September 2020
Gear Addict
...please write here again if they REFUSE to help you

(I am thinking of adding ProTools for video work to my main DAW Logic)
Old 29th September 2020
Lives for gear

What’s worse is avid charges the same amount for perpetual updates/support as they do for the cross grade to subscription only. In fact, the only difference is they throw newbies who embark on the subscription-only plan a couple of extra “freebies”.

The rest of us “perpetual-ites” who’ve been with the company for many years pay more for less, having already sunk thousands of dollars into hardware (and file formats) they no longer support.

It’s the most screwed up and confusing marketing scheme I’ve ever encountered, and I’ve seen many. Fortunately, the software is first rate.
Old 29th September 2020
When the cost of renewal for my perpetual license doubled last summer, I let it expire. I still have my license and refuse to buy a subscription.

-dj
Old 29th September 2020
Deleted 222f60c
They do whatever they can to turn people on to the "convenient" (for them) subscription....

Must be terrible, best of luck!
Old 29th September 2020
Gear Maniac

I dont think its convenience.

Isnt it the same story with all the Adobe products? If you buy a full license and use it for 5-7 years you simply pay less.

Its just the money I guess. In most cases you do not need to upgrade because of new functionalities. And if you rent the software on a yearly basis you just pay more.

I mean EVERYTHING I do now with Cubase 9 I could do with Cubase 6. There are some new functionalities but they are not essential for me the 64 bit plugins work in the same way in both versions, no difference.

Why not switching to Cubase he?
Old 17th October 2020
Gear Nut
U P D A T E

After a couple of weeks of madness, this nightmare that was taking a toll on my health has finally ended.

After a bunch of emails from my part explaining over and over how this issue started and getting replies that were hopeless, replies that I counter argued, this guy from Avid support took over, I won't mention his name, starts with J, An absolute star who finally managed to understand the issue and solved this situation.

It hasn't been easy but I can happily say that I've got MY PERPETUAL LICENCE BACK
Old 18th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
U P D A T E

After a couple of weeks of madness, this nightmare that was taking a toll on my health has finally ended.

After a bunch of emails from my part explaining over and over how this issue started and getting replies that were hopeless, replies that I counter argued, this guy from Avid support took over, I won't mention his name, starts with J, An absolute star who finally managed to understand the issue and solved this situation.

It hasn't been easy but I can happily say that I've got MY PERPETUAL LICENCE BACK
Truly good news. Well persevered and glad to you got to the right person in the end.
Old 18th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli_W View Post
Truly good news. Well persevered and glad to you got to the right person in the end.
Thank you!
Old 19th October 2020
Gear Maniac

Yeah congrats

Sometimes not giving up pays off
Old 20th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_well View Post
Yeah congrats

Sometimes not giving up pays off
Thank you!
Sure thing never give up!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I sold an old system on Oct 5th (yes the upgrade plan was current - it's now October 25th 20 full days and Avid still has not transferred the licenses - we submitted the form to transfer with the request 15 days later they said we need to fill out the for to get the transfer done -0 which we already did - so I submitting again - still nothing. I don't mind "paying for support" But paying for support and not getting it. We had another issue of Avid depositing the wrong license case submitted Aug 15th - its still not resolved 2 moths later. Avid is a real pain in the ask when you have phone andbeg for support - its been months since Covid 19 people are working remotely they really need to get their act together. They to mange multiple systems in multiple locations these days has proved to be a huge headache and getting kicked in gonads by Avid is not helping.
📝 Reply