The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thanks Avid Protools Free for half a day of free grief.
Old 1 week ago
Thanks Avid Protools Free for half a day of free grief.

This is a rant, so if you can't be bothered (and who can blame you) feel free to move on.
I got a call yesterday from a very stressed sounding friend and colleague who asked me if I could take a look at a couple of sessions that a band had been mixing elsewhere and were not happy with. He asked me if he could send the Protools sessions. I don't have Protools anymore because I'm not doing enough film work to justify paying for the subscription, I really don't like the idea of product subscriptions and I don't like Avid as a company in general.

Nowadays I normally deal with what was recorded here, with the tools I have here, otherwise they'll have to send me stems - if they're ok with that.
But I wanted to help my friend out with what sounded like an unpleasant situation and I figured out that installing the free version of Protools shouldn't take more than half an hour or so and that should open the sessions to the extent that I could see how they had been going about it and create my own stems.

Launching Protools Free I met something I hadn't seen in years - a zombie Mac application, totally unresponsive, double click and nothing happens.
After force quitting it and trying again for a few times I figured out that a restart might fix it - and I got a dead Mac with black screens.

My very up to date and carefully tuned system runs like clockwork and was running like clockwork until the moment I launched the Avid installers.
I had to restart several times in safe mode until I got a very slow, constant wheel of death single screen, from which I could run the Avid uninstallers.
Using Easyfind to see if anything had been left behind revealed dozens of extensions and other system files that had been left there (planted there?), many of which had to be removed individually because they required administrator privileges.

After convincing my Mac Pro that life after trauma has to go on it managed to go back to running all four screens, and I could get on the phone and ask for the stems like I should have done in the first place.
Hours of completely wasted time, and not in a nice way, courtesy of one of the bigger and best music technology companies out there.
Over and out.

Last edited by microwave; 1 week ago at 08:12 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Yeah PT Free should be considered malware for both Windows and Mac. The paid versions of PT work better (most of the time) but the business tactics of Avid/Digidesign should be considered as virulent as far as the health of your checking account is concerned. AVoID when possible.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by madriaan View Post
Yeah PT Free should be considered malware for both Windows and Mac.
Perfectly put!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by madriaan View Post
The paid versions of PT work better (most of the time)
I guess it's too late now, but instead of using the infamous PT First, one could install the 30 days demo of the full version.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

confirmed

*dozens of extensions and other system files that had been left there (planted there?), many of which had to be removed individually because they required administrator privileges.*

Yes, here too, Windows. Couldn't uninstall completely, it still said there is an application running that is using parts of the program.

It's everywhere all over your computer, W10 users please have a look at the startup processes Avid plants there...

Not again. Was really interested in diving into Pro Tools finally, but no, just no. No PT on my Computer - ever. Promise.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear