The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Network attached storage to run sessions for pro tools
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Network attached storage to run sessions for pro tools

I’m setting up a new studio and it’s only gonna be 2 rooms. We’ve already had an IT guy setup the network and I was talking to him about setting up network attached storage. He thinks I should use that storage for all of our sessions but most studio owners I’ve talked to suggest to use a fast local drive (tb3 ssd) and use the nas for storage. How are most of you guys dealing with storage and backup?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Video house stream way more demanding material all the time. i wonder if there are any latency or data integrity concerns in regards to audio.
I am going to be setting up a server soon so count me interested.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKI View Post
most studio owners I’ve talked to suggest to use a fast local drive (tb3 ssd) and use the nas for storage
Is the simple answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMan View Post
i wonder if there are any latency or data integrity concerns in regards to audio.
For this reason

It is entirely possible, but you need to invest in decent quality hardware to support multiuser low-latency networking suitable for running entire studio projects.

A NAS for storage/backup and peer-to-peer networking to share current project material directly between your two rooms might be a good starting point.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMan View Post
Video house stream way more demanding material all the time. i wonder if there are any latency or data integrity concerns in regards to audio.
I am going to be setting up a server soon so count me interested.
It's more read/write speeds. Slower disks don't cause latency - you'll just have recordings drop out with a disk to slow error.

likewise data integrity - will never be an issue unless your network is faulty. again you'll just get recordings stopping.

Video houses generally aren't recording to their drives. When I worked post, all recording happened to local drives and then copied to network drives.

Which is the logical way to work. Record local; backup to the network using Chronosync or similar.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
It's more read/write speeds. Slower disks don't cause latency - you'll just have recordings drop out with a disk to slow error.

likewise data integrity - will never be an issue unless your network is faulty. again you'll just get recordings stopping.

Video houses generally aren't recording to their drives. When I worked post, all recording happened to local drives and then copied to network drives.

Which is the logical way to work. Record local; backup to the network using Chronosync or similar.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Times have changed!!
We now use fiber for Ultra HD. TB3 to a Sanlink over fiber to server.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Times have changed!!
Sounds pricey haha
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Times have changed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKI View Post
Sounds pricey haha
I was gonna say - possibly overkill for recording?!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

We're also a video house!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
We're also a video house!!
I guessed from your username I was thinking more for the OP and his requirements.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Not really tbh, for supporting mutli-user mutli-track recording across a network
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoskit View Post
Not really tbh, for supporting mutli-user mutli-track recording across a network
Well, I’d argue that multi-user, multi-track recording across a network is unnecessary in your average studio!

Network backup sure. If there’s a reason several users might want to access the same session at the same time - well that’s risky/unusual but ok.

I’ve never worked in a studio that hasn’t run sessions locally, but I’m sure they exist. But I’ve also never had issues needing to run any other way.

For most people you’d be better off putting the money somewhere else I’d have thought, but whatever needs are I guess!

The OP has 2 rooms and already has a network set up. I just don’t see the benefits vs cost of potentially redoing all that just to be able to record over a network.

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 2 weeks ago at 03:13 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Well, I’d argue that multi-user, multi-track recording across a network is unnecessary in your average studio!
I'm only saying *if* you want to go down that rabbit hole ..

That's why I recommended keeping it simple to the OP.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoskit View Post
I'm only saying *if* you want to go down that rabbit hole ..

That's why I recommended keeping it simple to the OP.
yes fair point!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search