The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Controlling Pro Tools from my guitar booth...ideas?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Controlling Pro Tools from my guitar booth...ideas?

So the scenario here is that I am in the same room, only about 15 feet or so away from my workstation. However, I am surrounded by bass traps and insulation with two stereo mics. What is the easiest way for me to do overdubs when I’m by myself? Obviously I can’t walk over to the computer and arm/record it that way. I am running a MacBook Pro with 2 external monitors. I have so many cords running that I can’t turn the monitor around to face me, and even if I could it would be too far away to see the smaller buttons on the screen clearly.

I’m running ProTools 12 on an older apogee ensemble. I don’t think it’s possible for me to mirror on my phone somehow is it?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Maybe there's a phone app. How about TranzPort? I use one on a Windoze system and it's great. I can get 50-75' from the control room with few dropouts.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you for that recommendation. Somehow I need to be able to see Protools without turning around all my monitors every time I try to do overdubs. I was hoping pro tools would have like an iPad mirroring feature by now or something.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

If you already have an iPad, try something like duet display to mirror / extend a monitor.
I thinks it’s free or cheap if you use it wired, there’s a fee for wireless but maybe there are alternatives
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Why not just use Avid Control on an iPad? Free, and works well. What doesn't it do that you need?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flandybob View Post
If you already have an iPad, try something like duet display to mirror / extend a monitor.
I thinks it’s free or cheap if you use it wired, there’s a fee for wireless but maybe there are alternatives
I will look into it!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbreen View Post
Why not just use Avid Control on an iPad? Free, and works well. What doesn't it do that you need?
I think I did try that one (tried a bunch of mirroring apps to no avail). I think it wasn’t compatible with my macOS. Couldn’t get it to connect.

Trying to avoid any updates as that always seems to screw up something big for me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
What interface are you using? Some have a footswitch input to allow that to start record, or if there's MIDI in you can find numerous things to use MIDI to trigger recording.

Second Monitor - why not move it to your recording area? HDMI can easily travel 15 feet. Get a wireless keyboard and you're good to go.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Guy View Post
I think I did try that one (tried a bunch of mirroring apps to no avail). I think it wasn’t compatible with my macOS. Couldn’t get it to connect.

Trying to avoid any updates as that always seems to screw up something big for me.
Avid control isn't a mirroring app - it's a Eucon app to let you control PT wirelessly/integrate with their control surfaces.

If you do have an ipad, it's the ideal solution. Worth looking into what software versions you need, and doing any available updates.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Screen sharing with a laptop works very well I use it all the time to control a pro tools rig while I am in the recording booth

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search