The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avid (DAD) MTRX line level input setup
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Avid (DAD) MTRX line level input setup

Hi guys, anyone familiar with MTRX's 8 line pristine AD setup? I am recording through it in pro tools and confused by DADman's implementation of level setting. I only see what looks to me like a max level setup (9-30 dbu scale) and nothing like a potential gain setup (documentation says it can be set from -18 to 70db). Where is this gain setup supposed to be found? To get decent recording / direct monitoring levels I have momentarily set the max level setup to 12 dbu (vs factory 18dbu) but I assume this is not the way to go... Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hopeful bump... for the record I cut a couple if songs in this config without noticing anything awful but am ill at ease with the concept and would appreciate educated insight from someone with a more technical background. Thanks in advance.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You haven't grasped the specs.
The specs are
Quote:
Max input level
Adjustable from 9 dBu to 30 dBu in steps of 0.1 dB
Microphone input gain range/accuracy
Adjustable from –18 to +70 dB, in steps of 0.1 dB ± 0.25 dB accuracy
If you are in LINE mode, the "max input level" specs apply.
If you are in MIC mode (line de-selected), the second specs apply.

But let's cover what you are trying to do.... you want to gain the input of the incoming line signal. The converters AD will convert what you send it and you can digitally gain it after that point. If you want to send a hotter signal into the converter, the sending device should be cranked up. The MTRX/DAD converters a good enough that limiting their overhead potential (MAX INPUT) is just restricting its abilities when you can gain the pristine signal once it is in the digital domain.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alec6 View Post
Hi guys, anyone familiar with MTRX's 8 line pristine AD setup? I am recording through it in pro tools and confused by DADman's implementation of level setting. I only see what looks to me like a max level setup (9-30 dbu scale) and nothing like a potential gain setup (documentation says it can be set from -18 to 70db). Where is this gain setup supposed to be found? To get decent recording / direct monitoring levels I have momentarily set the max level setup to 12 dbu (vs factory 18dbu) but I assume this is not the way to go... Thanks in advance for your help!

If you're using professional outboard mic press, set the line to 24dBu for proper headroom, use the outboard pres' output for gain staging. Most mic pres will do fine with 24, some are hotter requiring 30.

Using mic in obviously gain is in the DaDman software.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks a lot for your advice, I suspected that the workaround compromised the dad’s headroom, now I have no doubts left. Any idea why they come set up at 18dbu instead of 24? (Yes I use +4 outboard btw)
Cheers,
A.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alec6 View Post
Thanks a lot for your advice, I suspected that the workaround compromised the dad’s headroom, now I have no doubts left. Any idea why they come set up at 18dbu instead of 24? (Yes I use +4 outboard btw)
Cheers,
A.
I believe Avid shipped at 18dBU for all the 192 units and currently do so for the HD I/O. I think even the 888 were shipped at 18dBU.

But pretty much comes down to legacy...

Quote:
There is no standard conversion formula in converting dBU and dBFS. For example in US installation, +24dBU is 0dBFS in digital. This is different in other countries and applications. In Europe, +18dBU is 0dBFS. Other conventions are shown below for 0dBFS equivalent:

Belgium VRT =+15dBU
France/Japan/Other countries = +22dBU

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search