The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Latency using fader controller on PT 2018
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1
Gear Nut
 

Latency using fader controller on PT 2018

Hi guys

I'll describe my setup and my issue with fader rides while i'm mixing in Pro Tools 2018 native.

My set is a native 2018 PT (not HD, not Ultimate), Lynx Hilo converter, all my mixing is in the box, except for the fact i have two final aux inputs, a music bus (with a hardware insert where i put my analog stuff, Obsidian, Curve Bender etc...) and a vocal bus, those two buses are summed on a final unprocessed audio track.
(i've attached a screenshot)

Besides the fact Pro Tools is not able to compensate the delay for this set up, at least until the last step (thankfully the internal routing seems to be ok, with all delay compensation thing in green)
I can't make fader rides in real time without annoying latency with a HUI monitor fader controller. My buffer size is 1024, if i try to lower the buffer my computer will crash.

My question is really simple, do i need to upgrade to Ultimate, HD or whatever they call it now? Or there is something i could do with my 2018/2019 PT Version?
I tried to make it happen introducing the hardware insert delay manually, but i don't know if i did it wrong or just you can't make this thing works on this native version...

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Latency using fader controller on PT 2018-screen-shot-2020-01-25-23.31.18.jpg  

Last edited by jakelorenz; 3 weeks ago at 02:37 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
MickeyMassacre's Avatar
There will always be latency with a hardware buss unless you create a buss output delay in the io window. Even then can feel “off”.

So if the audio leaves and comes back in the faders will be several ms before you hear it.

Outside of that you could freeze tracks until you can lower the buffer to 64 or 32.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3
Gear Nut
 

Thanks man!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4
Try making the final buss an aux track, not an audio track?

Route that track to your monitors and to your “print” track, so you’re not in input when trying to do real time rides.

I never understand why people mix in input..it does cause this latency issue. You shouldn’t have that if you monitor the aux “mixbuss” instead.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Try making the final buss an aux track, not an audio track?

Route that track to your monitors and to your “print” track, so you’re not in input when trying to do real time rides.

I never understand why people mix in input..it does cause this latency issue. You shouldn’t have that if you monitor the aux “mixbuss” instead.
Thanks! Indeed, you're totally right. Use the auto input monitoring doesn't make any sense in this kind of setup.
I still get the red delay comp error, but just for the number of plugins i'm using on those aux tracks. I tried to move those plugins but is still the same. If i make those plugins inactive everything is ok with my delay compensation, like you said
Old 3 weeks ago
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakelorenz View Post
Thanks! Indeed, you're totally right. Use the auto input monitoring doesn't make any sense in this kind of setup.
I still get the red delay comp error, but just for the number of plugins i'm using on those aux tracks. I tried to move those plugins but is still the same. If i make those plugins inactive everything is ok with my delay compensation, like you said
Then you’re just exceeding delay compensation. Combining this approach with freezing/lower buffer size might help?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #7
Gear Nut
 

Yeah, sure. If i lower the buffer i can use my faders without latency. Use the freeze function is a little bit unpractical but at least i can do it.

Thanks for your help!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakelorenz View Post
Yeah, sure. If i lower the buffer i can use my faders without latency. Use the freeze function is a little bit unpractical but at least i can do it.

Thanks for your help!
Unfortunately that’s the price of admission!

Unless you can rework your chains to cause less latency..I’m a bit surprised, I use a lot of high latency plugs (soothe etc) and on native I have no delay compensation issues. On hdx sometimes it creeps up!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump