The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
issues with i/o , connecting older protools to hardware
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

issues with i/o , connecting older protools to hardware

hey.

this is a challenge i've been reading/watching,researching, and pouring over for hours n hours to no avail. hope i don't come across as the new guy asking a redundant question- but any clarity would be greatly appreciated.

have protools 7 LE. recently discovered i had a piece of hardware gear, a friend gave me forever ago that i never knew what to do with in my youth, that could be of great value- its an ART tube compressor/limiter - was hoping to use it as a mastering tool- and was excited as i've heard great things about the tube sound- and its a piece of gear made in my hometown handed down from an "old head".

watched just about every video on youtube on I/O setup and none of them have helped me bring this tool into fruition...

(i attached some photos)

a major uncertainty is- i assumed i would hook this up mono as the compressor has and a 1/4 inch and xlr input and the same for output and figured i dont got that many chords layin around so why not just use one on each side as it seems thats how it was intended.

yet in to i/o setup if i unclick stereo/set to mono on the "ANALOG 3-4" option it sort of freezes out the option to run through one side (as seen in picture with the grayed out boxes)

i thought it might be a good idea to create a new path which i did
but when i go the the mix screen and go to add i/o my only options are in stereo and the new mono path i tried to create does not show up as an option.

also none of the videos i watched said anything about the "control meter path" "audition path" or "new track default option"

for the record im mixing out of headphones(don't now how that plays into audition) and all my lines in and out are open.

big thanks to anyone who read through this and could shed a little light on a brother.

much love
-e
Attached Thumbnails
issues with i/o , connecting older protools to hardware-protool1.jpg   issues with i/o , connecting older protools to hardware-protool-2.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Well for starters you've got a mono compressor there so it's not too much use for mixbuss or mastering use.

The XLR and 1/4" are simply different connectors for the same thing. Use one or the other.

You need to leave the "stereo" ticked. then the sub paths can appear.

And you need to choose a mono track so you can choose a mono path as an insert.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search