The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro Tools VIDEO ISSUE - Unable to link due to missing CODEC or unsupported file
Old 13th January 2020
Here for the gear

Pro Tools VIDEO ISSUE - Unable to link due to missing CODEC or unsupported file

Hello everyone
I have Win 10 64bit latest version. I installed PT 2019 also latest version. I have a problem when I want to load the video.
It's the same with the 2012 version. I installed QuickTime and all the possible codecs, I downloaded the clean PT version, I tried everything, but one video format won't load. Can anyone know what this is about. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Pro Tools VIDEO ISSUE - Unable to link due to missing CODEC or unsupported file-1.jpg   Pro Tools VIDEO ISSUE - Unable to link due to missing CODEC or unsupported file-2.jpg   Pro Tools VIDEO ISSUE - Unable to link due to missing CODEC or unsupported file-3.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I've always been able to get around that by closing/rebooting. If you've done that and it doesn't work and you can't find an answer on the DUC I would probably just convert the video to a different format instead. If it's H.264 and you're doing audio post it's not a great format to begin with so DNxHD would be better I bet. Not an ideal solution of course but you kind'a have to compare the time you take to troubleshoot this with the time it takes to convert the video.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I tried all the conversions and always the same problem. Reboot the commuter still the same. Reinstall Protools. Nothing heapean.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I would pick a different codec then.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Which codec? I have installed quicktime alternatives, K Mega pack, Vlc player with codec .... still not working. Are there any codec options for using ProTools?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Sorry, I meant to transcode into format / container that PT is ok with on your system. On several DAWs I've worked on DNxHD works far better than H.264, even though the files are noticeably larger. So what I meant was that if the video is a QT and opens outside of the DAW then just convert it to a codec and container that you know works on your system.

Sorry if that was unclear.

Can you tell us what the exact type is of the video? I mean other than .mp4...
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I tried to convert to .avi .mov the same problem
I did as instructed AVID adjust win 10 for PT. Once it managed to import a short .mp4 but after it it was gone. The file I want to import is also .mp4 1920x1080 and its size is about 1.5gb. On my computer I have 6 SSD system is on M2 NvMe. 32gb RAM. Nvidia GTX 750Ti latest drivers. For example, that file in Cubase works normally and in any other player.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

".avi" and ".mov" are basically just containers for data. So you can have a QT with H.264 codec, or with a DNxHD codec. Both of those would give you the same ".mp4" extension. If the problem is that the computer struggles (specifically the CPU) with for example the H.264 codec then going from ".mov" to ".mp4" if it's still the same codec won't help. You'd need a different codec.

So which codec is the file in what type of original container, and have you tried to look up what Avid recommends and export to that instead? If it isn't already what it's supposed to me in which case I apologize for missing it...
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I did the AVID recommendation for WIN optimization. I have all the codecs installed in the PC just don't know how PT sees it. The processor is the i7 7700. I have a feeling that it's a small matter, but for days I can't find a solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Pro Tools VIDEO ISSUE - Unable to link due to missing CODEC or unsupported file-1.jpg   Pro Tools VIDEO ISSUE - Unable to link due to missing CODEC or unsupported file-codec.jpg  

Last edited by dawstation; 4 weeks ago at 01:28 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Your image doesn't show the codec though. I don't really have anything else to suggest other than to look here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...b-c59f0dba8c9d

If you know a video editor have them look at the file if need be. Or if you want you can just email me the file since it's so short and I can take a look at it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Isn't this other picture codec information?
I'll send you a mail. Send me a PM
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawstation View Post
Isn't this other picture codec information?
I'll send you a mail. Send me a PM
Yes it is. Sorry I didn't see that image at first.

I'll send you a PM in a minute.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I tried with a friend on PT for no problem. There's something wrong here on my computer and that PT codec. It works perfectly in Cubase 10.5 PRO.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawstation View Post
I tried with a friend on PT for no problem. There's something wrong here on my computer and that PT codec. It works perfectly in Cubase 10.5 PRO.
It's not a PT-specific codec. It's an H.264 coded file.

Like I said, it seems the easiest and fastest way to solve this now is to just transcode it to a different codec. Just try making it a DNxHD instead. Those typically work fine.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...with-pro-tools

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search