The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Selling Used Pro Tools - help
Old 12th January 2020
Here for the gear

Selling Used Pro Tools - help

Wussup, I got a question for you guys

I have been running into a lot of confusion on how to properly sell my used pro tools copy.

It is Pro Tools 10 (not HD). I have the box, cd, and iLok. I NEVER downloaded it onto my computer, so it's completely unused.
Didn't even use the iLok. As far as my memory goes that is.

I got it from years ago, when someone gave it to me as a gift. Also, it was bought in a college by that person, so it might be an educational discounted version, if that makes any difference. Since then, I ended up using Logic, so I never even needed it. Kinda regret not selling it before, because now it's only useful for people who use 32-bit still. But it's literally just sitting around unused, and I don't like having stuff I don't ever use sitting around.

But it's 2020, so many have moved on to PT 11 and 12. However, I know there are still people who keep their trusty old Macs on an old OS that they never update. I know I used to. There's nothing wrong with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy.

So for the questions: What is the last compatible OS for pro tools 10? And how am I supposed to transfer everything to the new user? I want to make sure that they can use it without running into any problems. I want to completely transfer everything to them.
Do I need to pay a fee to transfer the iLOK? that would be ridiculous, seeing as prices for it now aren't any more than $200.

And also, where's the place that people go looking for used copies of DAWs like this Pro Tools?

Anyways, would like some help. I am sure someone out there needs it more than I do, so I'd like to sell it.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Gzilla; 12th January 2020 at 01:06 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzilla View Post
Wussup, I got a question for you guys

I have been running into a lot of confusion on how to properly sell my used pro tools copy.

It is Pro Tools 10 (not HD). I have the box, cd, and iLok. I NEVER downloaded it onto my computer, so it's completely unused.
Didn't even use the iLok. As far as my memory goes that is.

I got it from years ago, when someone gave it to me as a gift. Also, it was bought in a college by that person, so it might be an educational discounted version, if that makes any difference. Since then, I ended up using Logic, so I never even needed it. Kinda regret not selling it before, because now it's only useful for people who use 32-bit still. But it's literally just sitting around unused, and I don't like having stuff I don't ever use sitting around.

But it's 2020, so many have moved on to PT 11 and 12. However, I know there are still people who keep their trusty old Macs on an old OS that they never update. I know I used to. There's nothing wrong with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy.

So for the questions: What is the last compatible OS for pro tools 10? And how am I supposed to transfer everything to the new user? I want to make sure that they can use it without running into any problems. I want to completely transfer everything to them.
Do I need to pay a fee to transfer the iLOK? that would be ridiculous, seeing as prices for it now aren't any more than $200.

And also, where's the place that people go looking for used copies of DAWs like this Pro Tools?

Anyways, would like some help. I am sure someone out there needs it more than I do, so I'd like to sell it.

Any help is appreciated.
I will Keep a Copy of PT around ... until Logic Figures out how to Properly and Easily Split an Interleaved File to Dual Mono ... Why you ask ?? i had a somg the other day ... older Folk tune i wanted the left side of ONLY .. because the Drum groove was there and clean enough to Sample and make a Loop and Write with it !!

you have to convert a file in Audio Files, and do it to a new file .. or two new files labelled .L and .R ... well it did that and when i play the Mono file it is fine .. but everytime i bring it back into Logic, whether i cahnge the Name, remove the .R .... nothing works, logic still sees it as a stereo file ... i can PAN to the right side (in this case right side) only hear what i want ... but you cannot make an APPLE Loop out of that ... it still references the Stereo File !! sorry, did not mean to Rant ... but in PT it takes One Key Stroke !! Split to Mono ... DONE !!! why so hard Logic, Why !! haha

i think you can list your For Sale item but you have to have a few more Posts under your Belt ..

Reverb.com maybe ... this is good exorsure here though !!

good luck ..
Old 20th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
I will Keep a Copy of PT around ... until Logic Figures out how to Properly and Easily Split an Interleaved File to Dual Mono ... Why you ask ?? i had a somg the other day ... older Folk tune i wanted the left side of ONLY .. because the Drum groove was there and clean enough to Sample and make a Loop and Write with it !!

you have to convert a file in Audio Files, and do it to a new file .. or two new files labelled .L and .R ... well it did that and when i play the Mono file it is fine .. but everytime i bring it back into Logic, whether i cahnge the Name, remove the .R .... nothing works, logic still sees it as a stereo file ... i can PAN to the right side (in this case right side) only hear what i want ... but you cannot make an APPLE Loop out of that ... it still references the Stereo File !! sorry, did not mean to Rant ... but in PT it takes One Key Stroke !! Split to Mono ... DONE !!! why so hard Logic, Why !! haha

i think you can list your For Sale item but you have to have a few more Posts under your Belt ..

good luck ..
I agree that Logic does not have the best audio editing capabilities.. I have always used workarounds, so I never really thought much of it.

But any more advice on the whole iLok authorization process would be appreciated. Really the only thing that confuses me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post

good luck ..
Get Snapper from Audioease - a $50 utility, you can split a WAV to dual mono or interleave a WAV from it's component LR files from finder!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Get Snapper from Audioease - a $50 utility, you can split a WAV to dual mono or interleave a WAV from it's component LR files from finder!
Will Check that out ... thank you

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search