The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Protools offline bounce not using all of my CPU?
Old 27th December 2019
Gear Addict

Protools offline bounce not using all of my CPU?

Howdy all,
I have a strange one when using Protools 12.5 HD.

When doing an offline bounce, it's only using 40-50 percent of the CPU?

Do a lot of work on longer projects and this is a real bummer. Happy to get a faster CPU, but would be better if I can fully use the CPU thats in there...

Anyone have any ideas?

Win10,
i5 8400 (running 6 cores flat out - I checked)
PT HD 12.5
All SSD drives
RME Babyface Pro.
16 gigs of Ram.
Old 27th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer v2 View Post
Howdy all,
I have a strange one when using Protools 12.5 HD.

When doing an offline bounce, it's only using 40-50 percent of the CPU?

Do a lot of work on longer projects and this is a real bummer. Happy to get a faster CPU, but would be better if I can fully use the CPU thats in there...

Anyone have any ideas?

Win10,
i5 8400 (running 6 cores flat out - I checked)
PT HD 12.5
All SSD drives
RME Babyface Pro.
16 gigs of Ram.
In general an OS will never let any process use 100% of the CPU, otherwise you would get a deadlock. There are some RTOS' that will allow this but they are specialized. Technically Linux will let you but not by default. Ii would requires specific implementation.

I'm curious how slow is your system? a 6 core i5 should be pretty fast. I personally find PT much slower at bouncing than modern DAWs I have used. Maybe consider upgrading your DAW as opposed to your computer.
Old 27th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
In general an OS will never let any process use 100% of the CPU, otherwise you would get a deadlock. There are some RTOS' that will allow this but they are specialized. Technically Linux will let you but not by default. Ii would requires specific implementation.

I'm curious how slow is your system? a 6 core i5 should be pretty fast. I personally find PT much slower at bouncing than modern DAWs I have used. Maybe consider upgrading your DAW as opposed to your computer.
The Daw is fine? The performance when I'm mixing and tracking is great...It's just the offline bouncing...

There is a whole bunch of CPU that isn't being used?
Old 27th December 2019
RiF
Lives for gear

The CPU utilization during an offline bounce can only be as good as while you're composing / mixing. How evenly are the cores of your CPU used before the bounce?

The maximum speed in an offline bounce can be throttled by a number of things:

1. Plugins need to be assigned to a single core, so evenly spread core utilization may be difficult for Pro Tools to achieve.

2. Sequential audio-paths cannot be parallelized. For example: If you have a virtual instrument on a track with some plugin inserts which then goes into a bus with some other plugin inserts which then goes into your mix bus with some plugin inserts, this whole path has to be processed in serial. The "longest" path determines the maximum processing speed, because all other parallel paths need to wait before this one has been processed in the current buffer.
Old 27th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
The CPU utilization during an offline bounce can only be as good as while you're composing / mixing. How evenly are the cores of your CPU used before the bounce?

The maximum speed in an offline bounce can be throttled by a number of things:

1. Plugins need to be assigned to a single core, so evenly spread core utilization may be difficult for Pro Tools to achieve.

2. Sequential audio-paths cannot be parallelized. For example: If you have a virtual instrument on a track with some plugin inserts which then goes into a bus with some other plugin inserts which then goes into your mix bus with some plugin inserts, this whole path has to be processed in serial. The "longest" path determines the maximum processing speed, because all other parallel paths need to wait before this one has been processed in the current buffer.
Hmm...But the session I'm bouncing isn't that complicated. It's a podcast.

16 tracks of mostly white space, 6 copies of RX7 Voce de-noise, a couple of EQs and a mastering chain?

I also was looking at the CPU usage during bounce-down it was at 40-50% evenly across all 6 cores. All cores were at 3.8 ghz and 50 decrees C so no thermal throttling there either...
Old 27th December 2019
RiF
Lives for gear

This looks like something is waiting for something else.
Maybe it's worth a look to deactivate the mastering chain and see if this changes the offline bounce speed / CPU utilization. Everything goes through this chain and it might be the thing that's throttling the max speed.
Old 27th December 2019
Gear Addict

Figured it out.

Turns out when you check the "mp3" box, Protools limits itself to 50% of system usage during offline bounce.

Turn that off and it goes back to 100 percent.
Old 27th December 2019
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Figured it out.

Turns out when you check the "mp3" box, Protools limits itself to 50% of system usage during offline bounce.

What the....??? I would never thought of this.
Old 27th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
What the....??? I would never thought of this.
Me Neither!

Hope this thread helps someone else out in the future.

It's very frustrating....
Old 27th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Figured it out.

I haven't paid attention to bouncing to mp3 recently, but I think it used to be that it exported first and then converted, at least that's the way it looked.

You could try to export first to mp3, then try exporting not to mp3 but to .wav at the same sample rate and bit depth and make sure you time it. If you the import it back into PT and select the file and export offline (not bounce) to mp3 and time it again - do both of those end up being the same amount of time?

If that's the case I could imagine that what you're seeing is just the result of measuring CPU activity rather than a meaningful change in how fast something bounces.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search