The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ProTools now Catalina Compatible
Old 18th December 2019
ProTools now Catalina Compatible

Mostly
Old 18th December 2019
Live to hear performance feedback as I am at work all day!
Old 21st December 2019
Anyone tried running latest PT Ultimate (native on Mac core audio driver) on Catalina?
Old 22nd December 2019
Running quite well here on latest Mojave
Old 23rd December 2019
Lives for gear
Runs well on a 2013 15" MBP in Mojave; when I updated to Catalina, still great, but something broke in Eleven Rack. Switched to a backup 2nd Gen Scarlett 2i2 and no problems. Most of my plugins have already been updated, and I'm sure developers will continue to optimize and update their plugins.
Old 23rd December 2019
Working beautifully on my 2012 Mac Mini- stable and efficient!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapeDub View Post
Anyone tried running latest PT Ultimate (native on Mac core audio driver) on Catalina?
I'm on it now... I bought the new 16" MBP and failed to realize that it automatically comes with Catalina so there was no going backward to Mojave. For just audio editing/mixing, in general it's working fine (once you get all your plugins updated and such if need be), except that you have to change the Playback Device if you plug in your headphones. For some reason, PT recognizes Headphones and Speakers as different devices. Small nuisance there. However, for audio post, the lack of video playback of .mov & mp4 / video export is TERRIBLE.

For some reason, VideoSlave wouldn't work. So now, I now have to use Shutter Encoder (free) to convert .mov/mp4 videos to MXF (OP-Atom) format, and then reimport them into the session.

Why this all sucks:

1. My previously 600mb mp4 video suddenly BALLOONED to 88 GIGS, all so that I could get PT to play it. Thankfully my new machine has enough storage space to handle it (er for now).

2. I can't export video from PT. So now I have to export audio, and then re-sync it to the previous mp4 via iMovie (obviously after separating the mp4's audio and deleting), and then exporting the video with new audio from there.

It's a huge hassle. If you're in audio post, AVOID CATALINA.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search