The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Crashing With MIDI and VIs?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Crashing With MIDI and VIs?

I've got a session on my 2010 12 core Mac Pro running Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.12, and boy is it crash happy.

This is the first time in a long while I have used Pro Tools for composing, and whilst I find the MIDI editing not too bad it is so unstable...
Old 1 week ago
You’re using PT for composing? You are one brave soul
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeh, and it’s pretty good on the functionality side and the editing is pretty cool - but my experience has been pretty bad on the stability side. Lots of crashing when opening plug ins, opening up browsers in Serum, Kontakt, Battery etc and especially when dragging and dropping files to Battery.

I also get this super annoying MIDI burst when in loop playback. When looping back to the beginning of the looped section there’s often a large output of the MIDI parts that results in a full velocity random hit. Super loud as you can imagine and very clunky....

Shame, as the workflow is actually pretty good as I end up mixing in Pro Tools anyway.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Yeh, and it’s pretty good on the functionality side and the editing is pretty cool...
Honestly I like Pro Tools for a lot of things but editing MIDI isn't one of them. I think where PT excels is straight up meat and potatoes audio editing and mixing. The fact that you're having stability issues with multiple VI's speaks to this. Some users over at the DUC report similar things with Kontakt so you might want to post there as well.

I'd look at Logic Pro, Studio One, Ableton or Cubase for MIDI editing if I were you. Use Pro Tools for what it's good at and don't try to force a square into a round hole
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Honestly I like Pro Tools for a lot of things but editing MIDI isn't one of them. I think where PT excels is straight up meat and potatoes audio editing and mixing. The fact that you're having stability issues with multiple VI's speaks to this. Some users over at the DUC report similar things with Kontakt so you might want to post there as well.

I'd look at Logic Pro, Studio One, Ableton or Cubase for MIDI editing if I were you. Use Pro Tools for what it's good at and don't try to force a square into a round hole
Square peg into a round hole? I know MIDI is kinda an afterthought in Pro Tools, but damn that should not be a quote ascribed to a DAWs features! Shame on me for trying to do such a menial task

I have all those DAWS you mention with the exception of S1, and I'm not looking for suggestions just to compare notes with other veteran composers and the stability of Pro Tools with VIs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search