The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help! Pro Tools hd 10 issues
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Help! Pro Tools hd 10 issues

Hey everyone.... I am having some stability issues—weird, right? Anyway, I have a Mac Pro 1, 1 with 2 owc ssds: one for Pro Tools, and one for recording; 32 gb ram; 10.7.5 mountain lion, Pro Tools HD 10.3.5, and a BLA XB Mod 002. So far getting this up and running has been “fun” to say the least. I’ve done tons of troubleshooting and forum searching which has taught me quite a bit, but optimizations, reinstalling drivers, etc., aren’t getting me anywhere...

Issue: every time I switch the h/w buffer size Pro Tools either crashes unexpectedly, or it starts clicking and popping randomly until I click something, then crashes—I stick with 1024 samples for mixing and 128 for tracking. This has never been an issue until now after taking my rig down from home and moving it to the studio. I’m going to try putting the FireWire cable into the other slot on the 002, trash prefs, and do a nvram reset, but after that I am at a loss...
Are there any suggestions as to what else I can try? Maybe put the drivers from version 11, better quality ram, voodoo dance? I know Pro Tools can be finicky, but I’ve had a stable system before with wayyyyy less of a computer... I know there will most likely always be some problems, but it would be great to knock this one out.

Thanks in advance.
-Travis
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

PT 10 / PT 10 HD is rock solid & extremely reliable!

CHECK all your compatibility requirements - starting with "a Mac Pro 1, 1"
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Plugins. Always first suspect.
Pull everything out of RTAS plugins folder, and AAX plugins folder, and check. If you get stability, start putting PI's back a few at a time until things start behaving badly again, quitting and relaunching PT each time of course.
Have you installed any plugins lately?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Snow Leopard is your best bet, Mountain Lion is not supported on the 1.1 without some hacks (32 bit EFI and graphics card) and even then...
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks

Thank you all for responding! I’ll get on checking these tips out!
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Things I have tried throughout my troubleshooting journey—initially I had cpu errors like a fool: removing plugins and checking compatibility; new ram and graphics card; 2 SSD internal drives—one for pro tools and one for tracking; pro tools optimizations for Mac; nvram reset; different FireWire cords/slots on Digi002/computer; using code to turn indexing off completely—worked for cpu errors; making sure I fire my computer up in a certain order; different versions of 002/003 drivers; trashing prefs.
All of these helped greatly in stability. Then I took the rig down and set it up at the studio. Started tracking and bam... New problem! Haha I did go back to the studio last night to try and make it happen again... My comp worked like a champ.

Im am beginning to believe the plug in thing though even after the compatibility check. I did install Arc 2.5. I notice when I click on it even though it says it’s open in a session and it spikes the CPU to about 25% in the pro tools system usage bar...

Last edited by Travisjohnallen; 4 days ago at 06:16 PM.. Reason: Hit submit like a dingus

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search