The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PT 2019 Crashing with Brand New Computer?
Old 26th October 2019
Gear Maniac
PT 2019 Crashing with Brand New Computer?

Anyone else having this issue?

Mac mini 2018
3.2 Ghz Intel Core i7
32GB 2667 MHz DDR4 Ram
macOS Mojave 10.14.1

I just upgraded to Pro Tools 2019 6.0 b/c it is compatible with Mojave

Mac mini --> thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 converter made by apple -->thunderbolt 2 cable --> apollo 16 mk1 --> thunderbolt 2 cable --> apollo 8 mk1

I'm recording ONLY 1 TRACK at 24b 48k to an external SSD, no plugins, and I keep getting this error message:

"A CPU overload error occurred. If this happens often, try increasing the "H/W Buffer Size" in the Playback Engine Dialog, or removing some plug-ins. (-6106).

When I record 16 mics channels at a time with Logic Pro X - almost no problem, but sometimes crackles.

Has anyone ever experienced this craziness and found a solution to the problem? I have a very important session on Sunday and would be so grateful if the community could help me solve this issue.

Thanks for reading this!
Attached Thumbnails
PT 2019 Crashing with Brand New Computer?-0.jpg   PT 2019 Crashing with Brand New Computer?-4.png   PT 2019 Crashing with Brand New Computer?-1.jpg   PT 2019 Crashing with Brand New Computer?-2-.jpg  
Old 26th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyboyboy View Post
Anyone else having this issue?

Mac mini 2018
3.2 Ghz Intel Core i7
32GB 2667 MHz DDR4 Ram
macOS Mojave 10.14.1

I just upgraded to Pro Tools 2019 6.0 b/c it is compatible with Mojave

Mac mini --> thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 converter made by apple -->thunderbolt 2 cable --> apollo 16 mk1 --> thunderbolt 2 cable --> apollo 8 mk1

I'm recording ONLY 1 TRACK at 24b 48k to an external SSD, no plugins, and I keep getting this error message:

"A CPU overload error occurred. If this happens often, try increasing the "H/W Buffer Size" in the Playback Engine Dialog, or removing some plug-ins. (-6106).

When I record 16 mics channels at a time with Logic Pro X - almost no problem, but sometimes crackles.

Has anyone ever experienced this craziness and found a solution to the problem? I have a very important session on Sunday and would be so grateful if the community could help me solve this issue.

Thanks for reading this!
Is it fine with a higher buffer? Like 128? Mine is always at least 512 (but I’m on old PC)
Old 26th October 2019
Gear Maniac
It is better, but it still crashes. It’s ridiculous!
Old 28th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyboyboy View Post
It is better, but it still crashes. It’s ridiculous!
Got any virus checker, Dropbox, other usb devices on? Turn it all off, WiFi too. Any better?
Old 28th October 2019
Lives for gear
Also, worth looking at the Turbo Boost Switcher app - there is a thread here about it.
Old 29th October 2019
Gear Maniac

I had that issue a few months ago - I couldn't even record two simple audio tracks without it erroring out. Check your plugins - chances are you have something in your plug-ins folder which is causing the issue. It doesn't even need to be instantiated on the track or in the project for this to occur. If you have older plugins, try removing those first. Once it's stable, slowly add them back in until you find the suspect.
Old 29th October 2019
Gear Nut

here's a couple of tricks that have helped me out in the past:

- have you tried disabling hyper-threading? checkout CPUsetter: https://www.whatroute.net/cpusetter.html

- once you've launched PT, check out activity monitor and try quitting PT quicktime server (at least in my case it was red and not responding)...

- DaveNJ's suggestion is worth trying, depending on the amount of plugs you have, a quick way to see if one or some of them might be the culprit is to move all your plugs into the plug-ins (unused) folder,
launch PT and hope for the best...

hope you get the music flowing asap!!!
Old 31st October 2019
Here for the gear

Try to go back to version 2019.5 of Pro Tools, that one is more stable which I read.
I use it on Sierra 10.12.6 and runs smooth.

I've just bought the exact same Mac Mini you have.
Next week I'm gonna start using that system, I'll keep you posted about my experiences.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Set your Disk Cache to 8 GB instead of Normal
why plugins are you running? - it could be a plugin that is spiking the CPU
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Any update? Curious to see what the issue was/is...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search