The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AAX DSP Version of Autotune...Would you buy it?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

AAX DSP Version of Autotune...Would you buy it?

Hi all,

Im starting this thread with the hopes that Antares will see that there is a market for an aax dsp version of autotune. Ive been using At live but find that i must turn delay compensation off and mess with the buffer setting in order to record through it and have the audio print in time. As Psycho Monkey suggests, I dont thing there is a pro studio out there that has hdx that would not buy it immediately. The same goes for or any hdx user in general that also owns any version of AT. It's just one of those staple desert island plugins that you simply have to have.

Again, maybe if Antares sees this thread they may actually do it as I gather that they really dont believe that there is a large enough market for it.

Please chime in with your thoughts.

Ej
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

None of the vocalists I've ever worked with would want AutoTune inserted while tracking because (A) they want to hear themselves so they can correct themselves and (B) the disconnect between what they are singing/hearing in the booth of themselves and the sound coming back in the cans.

Any vocal processing happens during post production not during tracking. Maybe it has to do with the different level of experience for the singers I work with.

Good luck with your quest.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

In a heart beat

I'd buy it in a heart beat!

Back in the day I used to have AutoTune for TDM. It was only TDM then, because native systems really didn't have any power worth mentioning. Even today, we know we still have latency, which really isn't evident in HDX systems. I have to use it with workarounds. I wish I didn't have to.

As far as singers, I've worked with many singers who expect to have it when recording and some can't record at all without it. To me, it's a sad state of affairs. When I came up, singers actually worked on their craft. These days with this generation, people expect everything immediately and easy, without any effort.

So yes, in a professional situation, you need to have it, and I'd definitely buy an AAX DSP version.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I am in the same boat. In rnb world it is a a must. Especially during the writing process. Also cutting bvs without it is painful.

Please let people know about this thread.

Ej
Old 3 weeks ago
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I would buy AAX DSP Auto-Tune instantly!!!!!!

The younger generation of singers all want “Tune” while they sing. Even the good singers. It’s the new norm. Mostly in Pop though.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
PS: I bought the UAD Auto Advanced. When I’m in a pinch, I record through my Apollo console and then output to Protools. I do run into situations where the singer has to have “Tune” running in real-time.

Also, surprisingly, UAD’s version of Auto-time sounds noticeably better than the native alternatives. I saw a video on it and checked for myself. I was very shocked by the clarity in the UAD version!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
it would be great to have Auto-Tune as AAX-DSP!

it's not that I need it while actually monitoring the recording...

but for the general workflow it'd be great to just have it sitting on bypass in AAX-DSP while recording.
Then when playing back it'd be possible to "un-bypass" AutoTune without having to stop playback, un-arm the corresponding track, re-activate the plugin with command-ctrl click.

much less hassle!!

nowadays it is almost the norm for singers wanting to punch in and fix a couple of passages on an almost finished mixed track with a full chain of plugins on the vocal track.
Here it'd be super handy to have DSP working like it used to be back in the day with AT5 on a TDM system.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

In a heartbeat
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Yes!!!

Of course, that would be great.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search