The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pay money to Protools yearly, for 1 or 2 small update !!! 😭
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Pay money to Protools yearly, for 1 or 2 small update !!! ?

We pay money 500$ just for update , yearly .
But , recently, Avid changing slowly .
2018.12 to 2019.6
Small changes.
You think it’s enough?! Or protools is full and it hasn’t any problem ?!
Does avid any program for future , faster?!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanstudio View Post
We pay money 500$ just for update , yearly .
But , recently, Avid changing slowly .
2018.12 to 2019.6
Small changes.
You think it’s enough?! Or protools is full and it hasn’t any problem ?!
Does avid any program for future , faster?!
Of course it is not enough. Just go to http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406098 and you'll see the responses there. Avid has dropped the ball on keeping Pro Tools' subscription model worth it. All we are paying for are minor updates, bug fixes, and OS compatibility. The only reason I'm still in the Avid ecosystem is for the lowest latency in the industry you can get via an HDX system.

Pro Tools is far from perfect and could use plenty of significant updates. The updates needed depends on the user, for me it is CPU optimization. Pro Tools cannot fully tap into the host computer's CPU power to natively run VIs and Plugs. The software needs to be updated to be able to use 100% of a computers available resources. That would greatly increase the number of VIs and Plugs you could run. For me that is the biggest problem. Others want ARA and track folders, all of which is valid. Others want (including me) to go back to the old model where you purchase a release if you think it has enough new features to make it worth the purchase, rather than paying to stay current. Add in Avid's steep penalty to reinstate your subscription if you let it lapse and you have a disaster on your hands. Many folks are jumping ship and moving on from Pro Tools. At this rate, in a few years, only a few pro studios will still be using Pro Tools.

As soon as another company comes out with a system that matches HDX's latency, I'm out. I'm hoping Apogee can do it or UA (but without the need to use Console). If PCIe is the only way to do it, then these companies need to embrace PCIe. With the new Mac Pro including PCIe slots, the future for PCIe is bright.

The worst thing that could happen is if Avid releases a better HDX system with even lower latency while the competition lags behind. That would keep me in the Avid ecosystem much longer than I planned.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanstudio View Post
[. . .] You think it’s enough?! [. . .]
Some of their technical implementation decisions [from previous years] have filled the range from 'not good' to 'asinine'.

But as a professional software developer/consultant [20+ years], I see very significant progress this year [e.g., with stability & performance, Mojave-at-last, etc.]. Of course, the backlog [for outstanding fixes and enhancements] is long.

I do intensely wish that the pro music gear/software industry [including Avid] was far more transparent to talk publicly, regularly, openly, frankly about the technical shortcomings in their own products and about their internal product roadmaps [accepting that they will all miss projected timeline targets here and there].

Such courage will be richly rewarded by the marketplace - if any leader ever emerges in this industry who understands how to to it.

Switching costs to move to even 'free' platforms can be pretty high for complex applications. So, I tend to pick my poison, accept the 'lock-in', and focus on the work - while hoping enough of the market will continue to apply pressure and demand competition. [1]

I want more for my $399 [Ultimate Perpetual renewal fee] - but yea: I'm giving Avid a solid 'at-a-boy for Pro Tools improvements this year.

Ray H.

[1] Of course, there have been costs that broke the camel's back in other products for me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I got off the bus at 11.3.x or something.

PT's look and feel are great. It's a good program but it has been dev neglected
and I just could not keep paying without decent updates.

They all charge yearly in one way or another, right? Cubase is about 99
a year but they put some decent effort into it.

If they want to charge me 99 to upgrade one time to the latest, I would do it. But just not every year because Cubase is my main daw.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search