The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Compact selected not working for me!
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Head
Compact selected not working for me!

I've never been able to get this feature to work! It seems like a great idea and I've always wished it would work.
For example, I have a 3g file. I'm using about 30mb of the file in clips. I select the clips on the track that I'm using. I select compact. It does nothing. The original 3g file is still there, unaltered. The clips still exist as clips, not new audio files on the hard drive. What am I doing wrong?
I've tried selecting unused and deleting. I've tried additionally selecting the source audio file in the clips bin.
But really, as I understand, simply selecting the clips I'm using, it should make audio files for the clips in use, and then delete the original audio file. It doesn't do this for me. I've tried various times in various sessions over the years.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Couple thoughts, before clearing unused make sure there are no hidden tracks that contain clips from the source file and no active Find in the clip bin also turn on Show Auto-Created as there maybe clips from the source file created by editing that are not showing in the clip list.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
I was able to get it to work finally. Not sure how and why... It's still a little weird. Sometimes it leaves the source file and creates a new one. Which makes matters worse in terms of storage space. I found that I could delete the source file manually and link the new file to the clips when the session is closed and relaunched without the original file in the audio folder.
I'm glad it for the most part seems to do the trimming task albeit something that needs to be carefully monitored and finessed to be sure it works properly. I feel this feature could be much more smart, powerful, and efficient with a little more enhancements in the user interface and programing...
There's a bit of unreliable mixed results as it is currently.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search